Apply broadly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Symphony101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Silly question, but what does it mean to apply broadly? I know I'm going to apply to a various upper tier and safety schools. Is there a certain number of schools I should be applying to?

How many schools do people typically apply to? And for the forum members who have gone through the process, how many schools do you recommend applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

Applying broadly can have different meanings based on your stats and ECs. The number of schools you should apply to also depends on these factors. If you give us more info it would be helpful.

Silly question, but what does it mean to apply broadly? I know I'm going to apply to a various upper tier and safety schools. Is there a certain number of schools I should be applying to?

How many schools do people typically apply to? And for the forum members who have gone through the process, how many schools do you recommend applying to?

There is no certain number, although average is around 10-15 (it's been going up in recent years). Applying "broadly" would probably mean 20+, 30+ if you're from California. Not everybody needs to apply to that many. IMHO: If you're above average for MCAT/GPA for your in-state schools, you can be choosier as to where you apply.

Also, it is far more important which schools you apply to than it is whether you apply to a certain number. Pick schools that are good matches for your application and that you have a genuine interest in (so that you'll have something to say in your secondary essay).

Members don't see this ad :)
overall gpa: 3.78
bcpm: 3.44
(frosh and soph gpa not so good, general upward trend after adding neurosci major)
mcat: score not released for another week
double major: biochemistry and neuroscience
plenty of research experience: 2 labs, one internship
not enough clinical: I volunteered a long time ago in an ER, does this even count?
teaching experience: TA for a few years for biochem course, Kaplan instructor for SAT's

other than that, I'm pretty boring. I can speak a couple different languages though... but that's nothing compared to all the other sdn member profiles. Yeesh, you guys are all so amazing.

overall gpa: 3.78
bcpm: 3.44
(frosh and soph gpa not so good, general upward trend after adding neurosci major)
mcat: score not released for another week
double major: biochemistry and neuroscience
plenty of research experience: 2 labs, one internship
not enough clinical: I volunteered a long time ago in an ER, does this even count?
teaching experience: TA for a few years for biochem course, Kaplan instructor for SAT's

other than that, I'm pretty boring.

Thoughts... BCPM is a little low but overall is good. You definately need more clinical. What you have counts as long as it happened after high school. You need shadowing as well. Even if you think you're boring you have to find something interesting to talk about in your PS. I would apply fairly broadly because you are missing the clinical component of your app. Probably 20 schools. 5 safety (avg GPA and MCAT below yours), 10 competitive (avg GPA and MCAT equal to yours), and 5 reach (avg GPA and MCAT above yours - up to 0.2 points for GPA and one point in each section on MCAT). Your research experiance may make you more appealing to research-heavy med schools. Try to get in some clinical and shadowing this summer. Good luck and I hope your MCAT turns out well!