Apply in May or wait til the end of June?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airsimon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my brother is applying this upcoming summer and he faces a dilemma. He decided on dentistry a bit late in his undergrad career and is majoring in Business. Here are his stats:

3.75 oGPA
3.75 sGPA
DAT- will take in July.

So, the catch is he doesnt have too many science pre-req classes out of the way. He only has his 2 gen chems and 1 lower division biology course. This spring he is taking Ochem 1 and Physiology. He asked me if I would wait on submitting his application because he only has a couple of pre-reqs done. He is planning on finishing the rest over the year. I told him it would be smart to wait until the spring term (ends the end of june) ends and his grades for ochem and physio will be posted. Then dental schools will see he can excel in some upper devision science classes. However, on the flip side he'll be a bit late on the whole application thing and that might hurt him.

So, I just wanted to get all of your opinion on this one: what's more important, applying early or getting these upper div science classes out of the way?
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

apply early and make sure each school knows his intentions. Right when those scores are reported, fax the transcript to each school with his aadsas number on it. Then call the school to make sure they got his transcript. They will take these new grades into considertion. Everything is on file.

i think he should apply 2010. i read on this forum taking dat without orgo 2 is quite difficult. he still needs to finish his bio too. but, he seems like a smart guy because of his gpa. he might be able to pull this off.

i am also worried about the amount of pre-reqs he has done.....dental schools might not like that?

edit: grammar error

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO: He should definitely wait a year. Dental schools only see 1.5 years science. How can they judge is science skills? And taking DAT without science courses will be very difficult.
Basically, he has not taken science courses to prove his abilities and he probably will not do well on the DAT.
Wish him GOOD LUCK for me.

IMO: He should definitely wait a year. Dental schools only see 1.5 years science. How can they judge is science skills? And taking DAT without science courses will be very difficult.
Basically, he has not taken science courses to prove his abilities and he probably will not do well on the DAT.
Wish him GOOD LUCK for me.

Will do... thanks
But what's wrong with applying this year and then if not getting in waiting a year and applying again? Doesn't hurt anyone... in fact, that was my outlook on this year and was lucky enough to get in (I didn't think I stood a chance with my DAT)

Apply Asap...

So my brother is applying this upcoming summer and he faces a dilemma... DAT- will take in July...

So, the catch is he doesnt have too many science pre-req classes out of the way. He only has his 2 gen chems and 1 lower division biology course. This spring he is taking Ochem 1 and Physiology. He asked me if I would wait on submitting his application because he only has a couple of pre-reqs done. He is planning on finishing the rest over the year. I told him it would be smart to wait until the spring term (ends the end of june) ends and his grades for ochem and physio will be posted. Then dental schools will see he can excel in some upper devision science classes. However, on the flip side he'll be a bit late on the whole application thing and that might hurt him.

So, I just wanted to get all of your opinion on this one: what's more important, applying early or getting these upper div science classes out of the way?:confused:

He should be worrying more about completing the bio, organic, biochem and physics before he worries about his upper division bio. At some schools, 2 semesters of bio and a semester of genetics are pre-requisites to physio and other upper division bio courses.
Taking the DAT before bio and organic have been completed should be interesting. Adcoms are going to be hard pressed to judge a potential candidate based on a total of 3 semesters of science. Can you pass this message along? BTW you gave him wise advice.

Will do... thanks
But what's wrong with applying this year and then if not getting in waiting a year and applying again? Doesn't hurt anyone... in fact, that was my outlook on this year and was lucky enough to get in (I didn't think I stood a chance with my DAT)

there is nothing wrong with applying this year. i just think your chances will be better next year. a few things you will "waste" is time and money if you apply and dont get in.

you probably will be better prepared next year. did you finish your personal statement and get all your LORs straighten out? those are 2 things you can do before the application comes out. might as well finish them, so when the application comes out you can focus all your attention on the application instead of trying to finish your ps or lors.