Apply late this year or early next year.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for believing in me!
I just got a little paranoid about posting my exact stats.

Oh well, here goes. I have a 3.1ish sGPA, a 3.4 cGPA, and a 29 on the MCAT.
I wasn't planning on applying this year but since my MCAT turned out so well (for DO schools) I am thinking maybe I should try to get my app in. The problem is I feel like I would need another three months or so to round out my EC's and shadowing and to get together some LoR's.
Will I be wasting money if I apply in, say, January, to those schools with late deadlines? Or would I be better off just applying in June for the next cycle?

Last edited:
What brings your sGPA down? Do you currently have an upward grade trend in the sciences?
Have you done any retakes to invoke grade forgiveness?
Do you have your eye on any DO schools inparticular?

(And you can edit out the answers later if you want to remain more obscure.)

how many schools were you planning on applying to, do you have a DO letter, and are you picky about where you could go? I would apply quickly if you are wanting to. You aren't crazy competitive with the lower sGPA, but your MCAT is pretty decent. you can retake a couple science classes while you are applying and if you don't get in, you would be way solid for next cycle. but if you have the money, it may be worth the shot.

I do have an upward trend, but that does include retakes. I am a bio major, so I have this semester and one more of just about pure science to bring up that science GPA... money is an issue, so I'm leaning toward next year. Science GPA is low due to a couple of C's that I haven't been able to retake and just too many B's. My overall GPA is higher because I transferred from a community college after a year of easy, non-science classes.

Thanks for the input!

Hey thanks for believing in me!
I just got a little paranoid about posting my exact stats.

Oh well, here goes. I have a 3.1ish sGPA, a 3.4 cGPA, and a 29 on the MCAT.
I wasn't planning on applying this year but since my MCAT turned out so well (for DO schools) I am thinking maybe I should try to get my app in. The problem is I feel like I would need another three months or so to round out my EC's and shadowing and to get together some LoR's.
Will I be wasting money if I apply in, say, January, to those schools with late deadlines? Or would I be better off just applying in June for the next cycle?

Do this, but for the next 9 months. Get some quality volunteering time, beef up those EC's, and be the best applicant you can be!