Apply now or later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyct

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I submitted my application today to 10 schools that I felt were in range of my stats right now.

My question is about a few other schools out of my range. I'm planning on taking the MCAT again in August and would like to at least try for a couple of the top schools.

Should I hold off on applying to those until I get the new scores back, or apply now and update my scores later?

I have an avg GPA and a 32 on the MCAT right now, but feel I can definitely pull it up some come August...

Members don't see this ad.

What's the breakdown of your 32? Trying to improve a score like that means you'll need a 34/35 to make it meaningful otherwise it works against you, because a person who got a 33 on his first try is still better than someone who got a 32, then a 35, since taking the test again means you should improve by default.

What's the breakdown of your 32? Trying to improve a score like that means you'll need a 34/35 to make it meaningful otherwise it works against you, because a person who got a 33 on his first try is still better than someone who got a 32, then a 35, since taking the test again means you should improve by default.

not true at all. 35 >>>> 33. and going from 32 is 35 is not that easy. 97% gets the same or worst score the next time around - don't think he will improve by default

Members don't see this ad :)

It was a 8 VR, 12 PS, 12 BS

I've thought a lot about retaking, and I've decided to go ahead and do it. My reasoning is that I was scoring higher on all three sections in my practice tests, and really didn't touch verbal practice passages outside of those tests. I really feel that if I put in the effort, I can bring them up, so that's not so much of an issue now as when to apply.

not true at all. 35 >>>> 33. and going from 32 is 35 is not that easy. 97% gets the same or worst score the next time around - don't think he will improve by default

Then again, I should have said that most people retake not because they don't have an ideal score 30+, but because their score is "deficient" in one area or another, usually verbal.

True, a 32 to 35 is quite a jump, but adcoms look at trends more than final scores. I suppose I should have used a more extremely example to explain that if you are given a 2nd chance, you really do need to do better to show that it was worthwhile.

As for advice to the OP, I had guessed that verbal was the reason you wanted to retake. It's really not so much about your composite score as individual scores. Aim to increase verbal to at least a 10 while keeping other sections up. The reality of the situation is however that you're likely to slip by a point in each section as that's what AAMC numbers state, so you're actual score might not improve but it'll be more balanced.

My 0.02 cents.

On the other hand, I'd want to know what schools you're looking at. I have a 32 as well, and didn't really think about taking the test again because gettin in my app early would have helped that much more. When you take it in August, you are competing against people who are taking it also for the 2nd time, which means you really do need to increase your score to stay competitive with that crowd of applicants.

I'd take the 32 and run with it unless you're from Cali

On the other hand, I'd want to know what schools you're looking at. I have a 32 as well, and didn't really think about taking the test again because gettin in my app early would have helped that much more. When you take it in August, you are competing against people who are taking it also for the 2nd time, which means you really do need to increase your score to stay competitive with that crowd of applicants.

I'd take the 32 and run with it unless you're from Cali

Thanks for the advice

As for the schools I'm applying to: Today I submitted to all the SUNY schools, Stony Brook, NYMC, Boston Univ, Tufts, and Georgetown.

I'm trying to decide on about 5 more schools that match my profile fairly well, and then try for Yale, Dartmouth, and Cornell. Those would be my ideal schools, but as I stand now, don't think I have a chance.

I'm the mother of student who was just accepted to a med school. He had average stats, three interviews and one acceptance. While your stats may put you in the ball park of Boston and Tufts and Georgetown, those schools had 10,000 applicants, which make your odds ( or anyone's) not great. My advice is to apply to 20 schools, including ones in Pa. and Ohio.

I'm the mother of student who was just accepted to a med school. He had average stats, three interviews and one acceptance. While your stats may put you in the ball park of Boston and Tufts and Georgetown, those schools had 10,000 applicants, which make your odds ( or anyone's) not great. My advice is to apply to 20 schools, including ones in Pa. and Ohio.

Good point... I've been trying to narrow down a list of other schools to apply to and some of the Pa. schools look very appealing. I've also been looking at some of the Chicago schools.

Does anyone have any advice for my original question? Apply now or later? I'm leaning towards now, but I don't want schools to scrap my application before I even have a chance to retake the MCAT. On the other hand, I don't want to wait too long, and eliminate my chances that way either.

Apply now. It will be better for you to get your app in early with a 32 than in August with whatever score you achieve. You will get interviews with your stats, the more if you apply early. Good luck

Apply now. It will be better for you to get your app in early with a 32 than in August with whatever score you achieve. You will get interviews with your stats, the more if you apply early. Good luck

i second that, and then if your aug MCAT is an improvement send updates to make sure they consider this fact.

no i wouldn't, just by the luck of draw, i might think, prove it to me with the third one, would you? please.....:D

i second that, and then if your aug MCAT is an improvement send updates to make sure they consider this fact.
Second this. Keep in mind, though, OP, that more folks who re-take with a 32 go down than go up. You can see the data on AAMC. Tread carefully.

Also, when you apply, there is a checkbox indicating that you are re-taking the MCAT. If you check it, schools will hold your apps for final review until they get your new MCAT.

If you don't check it, schools will start processing your app. What will happen when schools get notified that you have retaken the MCAT? I'm curious if it looks like you're pulling a fast one or not.