Apply now with 508 now or take a gap year and prepare ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hussleandgrind

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 508 score with 3.9 cGPA and 3.83 sGPA

1. Should I take a gap year and prepare for higher score or apply to DO schools ? If so, can I apply for DO schools next February after retaking the MCAT in January?
If I get competitive score I want to take a gap year and work.

2. If I don't get a better score in February, will I be too late to apply for DO schools for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your career goals.
If you want to be a physician, treat patients, maybe do a little research on the side? Then apply DO this year.

Do you have plans to stay in academia, specialize, or are considering a surgical career? If so take a gap year.

Your GPA is great. I’d suggest trying to find a research assistant position for the gap year. Paid preferably, volunteer if you can’t find a paid position and can afford to. Focus on crushing the MCAT. Even a 3 pt increase and you’ll be in good shape for MD schools.

Some people will say you’re losing a year of attending salary, but in my opinion it’s worth it depending on your career goals. Year after year you see DO’s on this forum somewhat stressed out about matching even mid tier academic IM programs. As an MD student you’ll still be sweating a little come match time (everyone does) but at least your anxiety won’t be fueled by not having the right letters after your name.

Your GPA shows you have the aptitude, and possibly just need a little more time studying for the MCAT.

Yes February is too late to apply to schools in the current cycle. Most interviews are over by then, and you’d risk being a second time applicant to a DO school that would have possibly accepted you if you applied there fresh next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I will agree that you should take a good look at what your ultimate outcome should be and your own ability to accept that DO degree.

Do not disregard the year of work. Depending on what you need with clinical vs. non-clinical experience, you can make major strides in your desirability as an applicant with that year. But you have to know yourself well enough to make a decision that helps you get a step closer to your goals.