Apply quick or wait

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amberkas11309

:)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the mcat once already but I am retaking at the end of the month. My first score was pretty bad (19), with the verbal individual score area being atrocious (3). I was wondering if I should submit my application before I got my scores at the end of february, when hopefully Ill be able to bring up my score, or do you think I should submit an application as soon as possible and then let them wait for my other score? Also, if I were to bring up my score a decent amount, could I still be eligible for scholarships? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks ankle breaker

and with that being said...what do you think my chances are as of right now...
i have a 3.695 cum gpa. The only B's I ever got were in Sciences, but I dont know my science gpa
like i said a 19 on my mcat...VR-3, PS-6, and BS-10
I was a college division 1 soccer player, with a year of track and field
I've shadowed 2 different podiatrists
4 months volunteer in ER
and Ive shadowed a lot of other doctors (optometrist, orthopedic surgeon, family doctor, oncologist, etc)

I just started working on the application btw

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks ankle breaker

and with that being said...what do you think my chances are as of right now...
i have a 3.695 cum gpa. The only B's I ever got were in Sciences, but I dont know my science gpa
like i said a 19 on my mcat...VR-3, PS-6, and BS-10
I was a college division 1 soccer player, with a year of track and field
I've shadowed 2 different podiatrists
4 months volunteer in ER
and Ive shadowed a lot of other doctors (optometrist, orthopedic surgeon, family doctor, oncologist, etc)

I just started working on the application btw

Wait till february to report MCAT.

A VR score of 3 is pretty bad. Your 3.7 gpa will get you acceptances but the 19 will hurt your scholarship offers.

You could do what ankle breaker said and have LOR and transcripts sent in. But dont hurt all your hard work in undergrad with 1 poor MCAT score. It will cost you a lot of money in the long run.

I wouldn't "rush" into anything, inmho. Focus on the MCAT. Finish your classes. Do well, and then apply. Get your LORS and everything ready to go, but focus on beasting this test. Thats what I did , and it got me interviews everywhere I applied and a scholarship. Find out what MCAT the schools you want need and get the score. Any specific questions ask specific schools, not us-things were different back then, for those already in. Your best bet is to contact the schools.

The knowledge on the MCAT will be tested over and over first year, for the most part. Getting those concepts down is more important in the long run than rushing an application, again, in my opinion. Best of luck to you.

Definitely take it again. I studied for that section by subscribng to scientific america online digital version and speedread as many articles as i can. Do it for a month straight and ur verbal score will definitely increase. Mcat is tricky cus its timed so u really have to practice speedreading and plus they take a lot of their verbal excerpts from scientific america magazine

thanks everyone for the responses...I am definitely taking it again...in 20 days actually! i hoping that 3 was just a fluke...ive taken like 20 practice verbals and the LOWEST i ever got was a 6...so I'm hoping that horrific 3 was a result of test anxiety! But i am definitely going to try that speed reading thing for the remaining days before I take that beast!

Good luck! I used Kaplan as a source for testing info and notes, and I must say that their practice ones ALWAYS rate you higher than ur average english score ends up to be. Also, like everyone has said (and I completely agree), if you feel you truly rocked a part, then ur probably in trouble. I thought I absolutely BLEW AWAY my writing, yet it was my lowest score. But no worries! Practicing with research articles like previously stated really helps you think fast and allows your brain to better "fill in the spaces". Again, good luck and let us know how things go!