Is it too late to apply for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pete1998

Reaction score
Hi. I have graduated with cGPA 3.7 and sGPA 3.6. Took the MCAT in May 2021 and got a 492 (124/119/125/124). I was initially planning on applying to MD/DO schools until I became familiar with the podiatry profession. It is something I truly see myself doing for the rest of my life. I began shadowing a DPM who has his own private practice and takes on traumatic cases at the hospital. I have 300+ hours of research experience, 1300+ hours of shadowing, and 160 hours of volunteering at a hospital emergency department. I've also been the vice president to an organization at my university and a facilitator for a group of teenagers who took on community service activities. I am sure I can submit my application to AACPMAS by the end of February for this cycle. I also have outstanding LORs. Based on my stats and my experiences, would you think that I could potentially have a shot for this cycle? I understand that we're too far into this application cycle but I have heard many people still manage to get accepted when they apply in April/May. Should I go for it or save my money for the next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

most schools will still probably have slots

Reactions: 1 user
Hi. I have graduated with cGPA 3.7 and sGPA 3.6. Took the MCAT in May 2021 and got a 492 (124/119/125/124). I was initially planning on applying to MD/DO schools until I became familiar with the podiatry profession. It is something I truly see myself doing for the rest of my life. I began shadowing a DPM who has his own private practice and takes on traumatic cases at the hospital. I have 300+ hours of research experience, 1300+ hours of shadowing, and 160 hours of volunteering at a hospital emergency department. I've also been the vice president to an organization at my university and a facilitator for a group of teenagers who took on community service activities. I am sure I can submit my application to AACPMAS by the end of February for this cycle. I also have outstanding LORs. Based on my stats and my experiences, would you think that I could potentially have a shot for this cycle? I understand that we're too far into this application cycle but I have heard many people still manage to get accepted when they apply in April/May. Should I go for it or save my money for the next cycle?

There is still time as the deadline is June 30th per year. Please shadow more than 1 DPM to know if this field is for you. If there is a slight doubt that you will be happier with the MD/DO degree, then do whatever you have to and go for those. But if you genuinely want to be a Podiatrist, then your stats are OK as is, and you should email the program you are interested in the most and ask about the admissions. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all... I have classmates that applied way later in the cycle and still got in. Keep in mind, some applicants, unfortunately, uses podiatry schools as backups and wait until they get an acceptance from MD/DO schools and so, they disqualify their seat in the class. Also, there are applicants that just back out in the last minute to accept a seat from another podiatry school.

Of course, you might have less opportunities when apply later in the cycle but anything can happen!

As mentioned above, please shadow a podiatrist! I used to interview students at my school and the interviewing team will definitely ask you if had any if not mentioned in your application, unless you have an unique response of why you want to become a podiatrist.

Definitely not too late to apply- I applied end of April and got accepted same day of the interview with a scholarship. Good luck!

Thank you guys for your responses! I just hope my MCAT score doesn't screw me over and my GPA makes up for it.

Reactions: 1 users