Apply this year? Or wait yet another? Advice sought... (real entry!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alanlee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

You are not a competitive aplicant for UC because you are Asian and
your credentials are below that of the average applicant. That being said I would still apply to the UCs because you never know how they will view your application. I certainly would apply this summer, but you must do what most Cali residents do- apply 30+ programs all over the country. The chances are good that you will a spot somewhere. Of course don't just apply to top level schools. Apply very broadly and you should get in unless your interviews go poorly. If you limit yourself to Cali, you are making it way too hard on yourself to get in. If you lived in Michigan for 4 years you can live in the midwest/east for 4 more :)

AllanLee-

Your MCAT scores are excellent. Your undergrad GPAs are bad. Doing well in your Masters program is excellent work. Applying to UC schools will be tough since you are Asian. Don't you realize Asian people over there extreme gunners with 4.0 GPAs and 30+ MCATs? Maybe you should look elsewhere, don't be picky.

This all reminds me of my days of applying to medical school. My GPAs are excellent, but my MCAT scores only 27. I did get a 4.0 in my Masters program, but unsuccessful at gaining any acceptances or interviews for M.D. schools. This is mainly due to the damn verbal section. On top of that I was out-of-state and Asian.

You may have to do something soon anyway since your MCAT scores will expire eventually. They do this purposely to make your life hell.

You should also consider Dentistry, excellent career these days, if you are repeatedly unsuccessful at gaining M.D. acceptances!

Good luck. Sorry for the brutal honesty you asked for. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
alanlee said:
If I can get into a domestic allopathic program (nothing against DO?s at all, it?s just that I want to practice medicine part-time in Taiwan, and only MD is recognized there :( ).

Just wanted to quickly address this as it is incorrect. You might want to look at the international practice rights thread in pre-osteo as it has this info:

Taiwan
Year of Last Request: 1998
Scope of Practice: unlimited
The U.S. D.O. degree is recognized by the R.O.C. government. This allows U.S.-educated D.O.s to sit for Taiwan?s Examination Yuan and, if successful, can continue on in the process for licensure.
General Department of Health
100 Aikuo East Road
Taipei
TAIWAN

Thanks everyone who's replied so far. :) And I've been in MI for SIX years (incl. grad program), I guess I can put up with a couple of more... but contrary to what they say, I will NEVER get used to the winters. Also, thanks for correcting my mis-information about Taiwan... applying DO will open up quite a few more doors, I think.

Any more suggestions/advice? Any/all will be greatly appreciated!

I would say apply again this year. But maybe broaden your list of schools to include more states. I don't understand the Asian verses UC schools thing but if it is an issue then definitely look elsewhere.

Your grad GPA shows that you have an upward trend to your GPA and that should count for something in the eyes of the adcoms. I would make sure you briefly discuss your growing maturity that is now reflected in your new GPA when writing your personal essay.

Good luck. :luck:

I think with your experience and improvement in grades, as well as a great MCAT score, you should apply now. I think you are very qualified and would have a good shot at some M.D. programs and most D.O. programs. Good Luck!!