apply this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i applied last year but didn't make it because of my mcat. im planning to take the mcat again this aug. should i apply this june? would school look at my previous score and look down on my application despite the fact that i inform them that i will be retaking the mcat in aug?

Members don't see this ad.

Schools won't look at your file until your Aug scores arrive. They won't look down on you for retaking, but they will be able to see both scores and are looking for improvement. Apply in June if your other credentials are good and you can improve on your MCAT 2-3pts. Give yourself time to study (i.e. if your summer is booked, it's going to be difficult) Good luck!

thanks for the reply....if i do apply this cycle...should i submit my primary in june (as soon as it becomes availale) or wait until i get my summer mcat results?....Again, i already have been rejected because of my mcat scores....i'm trying to avoid school looking down on my application without even looking at my aug scores

Members don't see this ad :)
Check your PM.

Did you pray? Some guy said that if you pray, you're guaranteed to get a 34 on the MCAT. :)

redstar18 said:
Schools won't look at your file until your Aug scores arrive. !

This is not necessarily true. I took the August MCAT last year and had most of my schools send me their secondary (all but 2 I think) to start filling out based on my GPA and extracurriculars. Granted, you can't expect to get much farther than that, but you can be sure that some schools will send you their supplementals.

drlexygoat said:
This is not necessarily true. I took the August MCAT last year and had most of my schools send me their secondary (all but 2 I think) to start filling out based on my GPA and extracurriculars. Granted, you can't expect to get much farther than that, but you can be sure that some schools will send you their supplementals.

so are you saying schools don't look at aug mcaters and just suck the money out of them? can i ask how you did on your application cycle?

drlexygoat said:

This is because most schools send out secondaries to everyone that applied to their school regardless of MCAT, gpa, or ECs. They won't look at the file until the MCAT is done but at least you'll be able to fill out the secondary.

Just an anectdote. My friend took the april MCAT's last year and did poorly. He retook it that august. He did really well, 90+percentile on all sections, and it looked like he was going to be succesful in his application process. Unfortunately in the end he ended up with only 3 interviews and 3 waitlists.

You would probably have more luck waiting for the august scores and if satisfactory, applying next summer.

in addition to the hopeful mcat improvement...
did you do anything else to improve you application? i dont think it would look so well if it seemed all you did was just study for the mcat and nothing else of significance.

about the august mcat...it will set you back for the most part, but you will get some secondaries before the school even gets your scores because some just automatically send it out when they download your amcas app. it might not get reviewed till they get your scores but at least you will have some completed by then.

good luck.

My August MCAT stats were plain average and nothing to brag about. However, I didn't have one single problem with being a little behind the April folks in terms of time. I still got secondaries from everyone (again, most were WELL before scores came out) and turned them in pronto. This way, when my scores were released, my application was ready for review for an interview.

Seriously, I didn't have a single problem with being an August test-taker, and my scores were nothing to get all giddy about. I'll be headed to a fine school this August and was fortunate enough to have a choice between several. You'll probably have the same luck if you just turn those secondaries around quickly!

Go for it!!!

drlexygoat has had good experiences, but the reality is that, all else being equal, the August MCAT will hinder you at many schools. The August MCAT probably won't affect competitive applicants, but probably will affect borderline apps.

evines said:
drlexygoat has had good experiences, but the reality is that, all else being equal, the August MCAT will hinder you at many schools. The August MCAT probably won't affect competitive applicants, but probably will affect borderline apps.

I talked to several schools before deciding to wait for the August test and all confirm what drlexygoat has said. Keep in mind, not having your file reviewed until October isn't a big deal. October is still relatively "early" in the admissions process.

This, "don't take the August MCAT" stuff is pure premed myth.

Alexander99 said:
Did you pray? Some guy said that if you pray, you're guaranteed to get a 34 on the MCAT. :)
It didn't help me get a 34 but I was satisfied with my 29 nevertheless.

It did help me get accepted though. :thumbup:

Blade28 said:
Hmmm...mind giving us a ballpark range as to where your stats fall?

3.85 gpa uc berkeley
mcat: 2x (25 and 27)
>4 years of research experience
> 2 abstracts submitted
>2 year hospital volunteer
>2 years community services (local elementary school)
>EMT
>25 years old

my school advisor told me to hold my secondaries until i get my aug score. but from the replies i read so far, it seems like i should turn them in before i get my score. can someone clarify this. thanks

hey sdnstud,

i went through a similar dilemma last year. i also had taken the MCAT before august, but had a score i thought was just so-so...not great at all. anyhow, i submitted my amcas in early june and received all secondaries before my new aug MCAT score came out. I even received 2 INTERVIEWS before october with my old score (even with the med schools knowing that i had a score coming in august!!). ive had a couple acceptances this year and am on some waitlists. ultimately, i think that having your application complete and returning secondaries within a week is more important that when you take the mcat. i've been successful, so my advice would be to apply this june and kick ass on the mcat. good luck and PM me if you ahve questions