• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

BNW1984

7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2014
Houston, Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello everyone,

I have been on this forum (and several other SDN forums) looking at past posts about MD-PhD programs and trying to figure out what path I can take in order to be a physician-scientist. I have known for a while (around junior year of college-I'm in my second gap year now) that I wanted to do the MD-PhD, but my undergrad career did not turn out the way I expected (low grades and taking ~6 years to graduate) due to difficulty figuring out how I learn and other issues. So now I am at a point where I am unsure if I even have a chance at an MD-PhD program or just abandon it and do the PhD-->MD route.

Stats:
Low-income disabled URM with a BA in Neurolinguistics at Top 30 (AMCAS cum GPA: 3.23, science GPA 2.78). Strong upward trend last two years of undergrad (GPA 3.7+).
late 20s
5 years of research (4 in undergrad in two different labs (neurogenetics and psycholinguistics), 1 year full time in NIH behavioral neuro lab) + 2 years of full time (starting now until 2021) in a NIH-PREP program at an Ivy (working in a psych lab).
No MCAT yet
1 middle author pub in middle impact medical journal
3 posters (2 undergrad, 1 NIH) and senior thesis
30 hours of clinical volunteering + shadowing (from undergrad and brief stint at NIH Clinical Center)
~500 hours of non-clinical paid and unpaid volunteering in various different roles
Top university awards and scholarships
Leadership positions (2 president roles and 2 non-president roles)
Other ECs: musician, varsity debater

Research interests: cognition and language development in neurodevelopmental disorders, with strong interest in neuroimaging techniques. So I plan on getting a PhD in developmental psych or cognitive neuroscience, which does limit my MD-PhD choices.
Clinical interests: wanting to work with patients who have neurodevelopmental disorders, with emphasis on low-income and POC communities as there is not much support for these populations (health disparities). I would like to do a Med-Peds fellowship since I am interested in working with both children and adults.

Because I am at an Ivy that has a post-bac premedical program, I can apply to that program in order to raise my GPA up. If I fulfill the program's requirements with A's, I can raise my GPA to 3.35 (cum) and 3.05 (science). I also plan on applying to a couple of hospital, hospice, and outpatient clinic volunteer programs for my clinical requirements while continuing to mentor disabled youths in my area. While I just started my NIH-PREP program, I am hoping to get at least two posters out of this and cross fingers for a pub. I know with my stats that I would need to strive and work hard for a MCAT in the >90th percentile.

My ultimate career would be doing research majority of the time, teach classes (preferably based in the field of cognitive neuro/psych or on autism), and see patients.

The main question I have is:
With my stats (current and expected), do I have a chance at applying to MD-PhD programs for the summer 2021 cycle?

If there is no chance, my plan would just be to apply to MD programs after my PhD. I probably would finish my PhD in its entirety and apply for a postbac premed program that has some linkages so I could avoid spending more time away from medicine. The advantages I see with this option is that I can spend more time on getting a solid grad school app, spend more time volunteering, less initial stress/anxiety, and I can apply more broadly to MD programs since I do not have to worry if the MD-PhD program as the PhD I want.

Sorry if any of this is vague, I am trying to be as anonymous as possible. I am very much open to sharing more in PM if needed.
Would love to hear the opinions of @Fencer @QofQuimica as well.

Serac

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Your GPA will be a challenge for sure, but I think you can make up some ground with a very strong MCAT. I would recommend you get an idea of what a realistic score for you is and go from there. Remember that the MD after PhD is a great way to get training but has its own hurdles and is often expensive enough to make a research career even harder down the road. Feel free to PM me if you want specific feedback.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.