Apply to med school AND go on spring break?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vas113

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the application process/waiting to get interviews :xf:. My friends are planning a spring break trip to Las Vegas from March 8-12, which I don't want to miss! I figure I could make travel plans, but I'd possibly have to wait until February after interview spots have been pretty much all given out. I would think waiting so long would make plane tickets more expensive, and I don't want to delay everyone's plans (like not knowing how many people to make hotel reservations for).

Can you apply to medical school AND go on a spring break trip?? It would obviously suck to not go on the trip and then not get any interviews during those days.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I mean what are the chances of getting an interview that late in season? (I feel like mid march is late) And in the off chance you do get an interview within those 4 days? I'd book it :thumbup:

I booked my SB cruise months ago...March 8-15th!!! I figured the majority of schools are done interviewing by march and there is no way I am going to miss out on the Caribbean with my friends. I say go for it!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I mean what are the chances of getting an interview that late in season? (I feel like mid march is late) And in the off chance you do get an interview within those 4 days? I'd book it :thumbup:

march IS late. IMO, so is february. and late january is borderline.

so, OP, i would say book the trip. and enjoy it! have you gotten any interviews, or are you possible going to have to reapply?

You only have so many more vacations left... and as others have said the odds of 1) getting an interview that late and 2) having those be the only days the offer are low enough that you should take the time to spend the time with friends and relax...

I've gotten some interviews, but there are plenty of schools I've heard absolutely nothing from :( I retook the MCAT in September though, so I'm a bit behind most people. I'll go ahead and book the trip though and pay a little extra so that I can get my money back if I need to cancel. Thanks everyone!

Check out some of the schools' admissions pages. A lot of schools only do interviews on a certain day/days of the week, and some only do them on certain pre-announced dates throughout the cycle. If your vacation is clear of those dates, then it's all good!

Oh boy, Vegas? That's where I want to be celebrating after I get accepted.

It is what it is... you don't get your life back.

that's very true, but there is such a thing as bad timing. there are several schools whose interview season extends into march. personally, if i had an acceptance in my pocket I was happy with, i'd definitely be partying for spring break. as of yet, i don't though.

stupid procrastination.