Apply to more programs????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

google0473

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am at a lost...dont know what to do...help...i applied to about 25 anesthesia programs, got only 3 interviews and 3 prelim interviews....i am so devastated should i apply to more programs or is it to late...i believe it is too late. Also if i dont match....with this year being so competitive will there be any spots to scramble into. Please serious replies only. thanks a lot, and good luck on the rest of interviews

Members don't see this ad.

Google,

Sorry about your situation. I have applied to 12 spots and have been rejected by 6-7 spots already. Only one spot so far has offered me an interview. Other people on this site have told me to apply to more programs. I personally think it's too late. I think I will try my luck with the Scramble. Last year, U of Mich didn't fill all of their spots. Have you contacted the programs you've applied to and let them know you're still interested in their program. Good luck.

DOMD

Thanks for the reply DOMD....so do you think i should contact the programs that rejected me to say that i am still interested or just let it pass. At this point i dont know if i should just wait to scramble. Hope all goes well with you too....i just hate this process but we'll get through it.
later

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to be an anesthesiologist, you will be an anesthesiologist.

Go complete a preliminary year of surgery so that you're in the operating room environment. If you don't match in anesthesiology, apply for open CA-1 positions next year. Write directly to the program directors and find one out of the match. Do well in your internship. After the start of the year, program directors find residents who are poor in their programs and look to replace them. The first lecture sequence usually lasts two months and the weak residents are obvious by then.

So, get as many procedures as you can such as central lines, intubations, IVs, etc, etc, so you can look good when you get in and so you can get good recommendations. Start asking programs if they have spots open around July 1. Write about once a month--just a short note. Send your CV. You'd be surprised how a slow trickle of interest can turn into that unexpected call one day when you don't expect it. Stay away from the University of Washington--poor clinical experience and bad teaching program.

Google, that is tough situation to be in. Best of luck.

I would follow Foxleigh's advice, it is excellent.

sorry about all the difficulties, people. i've always wondered why after 4 years of crazy tuition, people remained conservative when it came to applying for residency.

anyways, do what the previous posts said. do the surgery internship. there will be plenty of surgery internships to choose from. nobody wants surgery anymore.

one more thing...it's not always based on board scores and grades. sometimes, it's being in the right place at the right time. it's about networking with the right people.

go to the interviews that you have and do well. if i remember correctly, didn't nrmp post the odds of matching in your top x amount of programs? if i recall correctly, 60-70% match in #1. about 80% match in #1 or 2. 85% match within #1,2,3. and almost 90% match within the top 4 choices. so, if my memory is correct, you still have a chance to make it. good luck