Apply to PhD program not in my area of research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverSickle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

My undergrad research mainly focuses on organometallic synthesis, but I really want to work in immunology and vaccine development. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

My undergrad research mainly focuses on organometallic synthesis, but I really want to work in immunology and vaccine development. What are my chances?

Sit down and make a list of skills you've learned that can be applied to the new area.

I'm not just talking about techniques but things like critical thinking, reading primary literature etc.

That should give you an idea of how useful your current research has been...I think that undergrad research does little more than get you to think critically and like a scientist and see if you enjoy it - all else can be learned!

If you haven't already, try taking upper division or graduate level courses in immunology and virology/vaccine development - I did that for cancer research and I probably have a much broader knowledge base about the field than many people who work in cancer labs....

hopefully that was helpful

cheers!

-j

Hey,

Hi there,
I'm coming from a molecular bio/genetics background and applied to immunology programs (this is obviously not as much of a stretch as you :)) and seem to be doing okay. Many schools do not make you specify the PhD program at the time of matriculation, and it is very easy to switch for those that do. I think if you can tangibly demonstrate how you developed this interest, and be able to discuss how the skills that you've gained from your research (as J noted) can be useful in any field of research you will be fine.

Ta,
Pickles