Apply to post bacc or continue working on ECs???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FilosandZ

Reaction score
Hey guys! This is my first time posting here and I really need some advice. I wanted to know my shot at getting into a California post-bacc with a low GPA and low ECs, or should I take another year off to gain experience? Here's my background:

I went to community college for 3 years after high school and got a 3.196 cGPA and 2.97 sGPA. I transferred to UCSD as BS Biochem/Chem (minored in Gen. Bio) and got a 3.4 cGPA and 3.35 sGPA. If I calculated that right, I have an overall 3.289 cGPA and 3.16 sGPA after 5 years in undergrad. During my undergrad, I worked many part-time jobs, a 1 year internship at a place that teaches science to children and 1 year protein lab research (presented at a symposium). The most consistent thing I've done is work in specialty coffee (a super side hobby, I know I am a snob) for 3 years.

I took a year off because my dad got a heart attack, and honestly, I also didn't know what I was doing. I am currently taking anatomy and stats right now and will be earning my clinical medical assistant by June and hopefully get a job asap. Should I attempt to apply next year for 2021-2022 cycle for UCSD post bacc (my #1 choice) or any CA post bacc, or am I not competitive because of my low EC's and GPA?

I know this was long but THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to read and help me through this!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think a post bacc would be a great idea for you. Strong performance in one with a good MCAT score will make MD a possibility, and make you competitive for DO.