Apply with low BCP or take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spider367

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior and have pretty much been planning to apply to all of my dental schools this summer since I was 4 years old but am now thinking I may actually have a better chance if I take a year off. I have kind of a low bcp gpa, 2.87, and it won't be improving significantly at the end of this semester. I haven't taken the DAT and have not even begun studying for it. Finally, I have not really discussed any letters of recommendations with my professors. The only thing I feel like I am exceptionally strong on are extracurricular activities. I have over 100 hours shadowing and have volunteered at 6 free clinics. So, my dilemma is do I rush and try to get in the pool for this upcoming admissions year or do I sit down and concentrate on improving my gpa, getting a high DAT score, and maybe get some kind of internship in a gap year. If you were in this situation, what would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

i would make sure you have the strongest year possible and then apply. no point in wasting money. continue your volunteering (it's the quality, not quantity that counts). try to get that bcp over 3.0, study hard for dat and get 22+ (just to be sure).

as for gap year, maybe enroll in a mph program, masters or post bac as a back up.

i am actually in the same situation...i am a sophomore and i did a calculation for my gpa if i apply 2011 and it's close to yours. i think i might apply even though i know the chances are small. most likely i won't get in, then i might apply posbac. the problem is i checked my school posbac program and it's basically retaking all the pre-reqs, i have to go check with the hpo about that

Take the gap year. Definately. I'd focus on the DAT and get involved with research. For the cost of tuition to improve your GPA you could hire a private DAT tutor!