Apply without PM&R letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm going to be applying for PM&R for the 2012 match. I don't do my first PM&R rotation until October and don't have any prior connections in the field to get letters. I've heard you can submit your application before all your letters and supporting documents are in. Not really sure the logistics of this so any attending who are involved in selection of candidates or anyone who's been through the match and knows definitively:
-Should I submit my application early September without a PM&R letter or wait until maybe first week of October when I could have the PM&R letter in and my step 2 score as well (step 1 was not that strong - 2 digit 89)?

Just want feedback on that specifically, i.e. I'm not sure if my application gets downloaded and they see no PM&R letter if they'll just trash it. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Better to wait as an application into the PM&R field without any actual PM&R rotation or letter won't be taken very seriously. You are also assuming that after one week in your rotation you can have a letter in hand to upload with your application. Attendings need time to write a letter for you, it's professional courtesy to give them a few weeks.

I recommend you call the person you will rotate with in October and explain the situation- you are intending to apply to PM&R, you want some exposure to PM&R before you send in your application, and that you are hoping to get a letter of recommendation by, say October 15th. Ask them if this is possible and if you can spend some time shadowing them unofficially before your rotation so they can get to know you. This might mean some double shifts-like post call medicine going to spend an afternoon in PM&R clinic instead of taking that afternoon nap.

Don't be shy. Everyone in your class is having this conversation with somebody, or has already had this conversation. Really.

I agree with Jitter Bug.

What other LORs do you have?

I would at least submit all of your stuff i.e. other LORs, personal statement, and general application. That way, at least it will be obvious that you got your stuff in in a timely manner and just waiting for 1 other letter.

It's really a shame that so many students are in the same position that you are. It's really tough to get exposure before your 4th year in general.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have letters from surgery and IM already. I think that's solid advice to contact the attending before and tell them I'm looking to get a letter and see if I can do some extra work. I won't be able to do any before the start of my rotation though because that's going to be an audition elective 8 hours from where I live.

I assume your away rotation you consider an "audition" is not PM&R. Or you would get your letter from them.

Are you planning to apply for 2 different specialty residencies?

Just make sure you don't piss off both girls and end up going to the prom alone.

One key component of your application package and interview is to convey your desire to be a PM&R doctor and have proof that you know what you are talking about and have objective reasons for it.

Just wanting PM&R because "its easy" and "I want plenty of money and relaxation" and "I couldn't get in to ortho" are lame reasons and won't land you a spot. OTOH, why am I telling you our secrets? I don't know if your motivation is pure since you have not had any exposure to PM&R. Why do you want to do PM&R again?

I assume your away rotation you consider an "audition" is not PM&R. Or you would get your letter from them.

Are you planning to apply for 2 different specialty residencies?

Just make sure you don't piss off both girls and end up going to the prom alone.

What lead you to assume that? As I said above I am doing my first PM&R rotation in October (away/audition) and am planning to do well and get a good letter there. I was concerned about not having the letter in September when everyone recommends submitting the application.

Last edited:
One key component of your application package and interview is to convey your desire to be a PM&R doctor and have proof that you know what you are talking about and have objective reasons for it.

Just wanting PM&R because "its easy" and "I want plenty of money and relaxation" and "I couldn't get in to ortho" are lame reasons and won't land you a spot. OTOH, why am I telling you our secrets? I don't know if your motivation is pure since you have not had any exposure to PM&R. Why do you want to do PM&R again?

I'm not going to post my personal statement on here for everyone. If you're on an ADCOM, you'll have a chance to read it in a couple weeks. PM&R is my #1 choice. If I was offered a position in a top ophtho/ortho/plastics/whatever program, I would turn it down and still go through the match for PM&R.

I have had exposure to PM&R as a patient and an observer, just no rotation yet. I have no desire for the relaxation part. I'm interested in doing multiple fellowships/research and working very hard once in practice. If the plenty of money comes that's fine. If not, I'm still doing it.

What state is your medical school in?

At my school we are told to apply as early as possible, even without the LORs, as programs fill in their interview spots quickly. Some programs give out interview spots just based on Step I and grades, and they look at the personal statement and LORs after the interview when they're deciding who to take.
Of course you should try to make your application as complete as possible, make sure your transcript and personal statement are uploaded and try to get at least one LOR, maybe from a medicine or sub-I rotation. You can add the PM&R letter later on in the year once you get it. Do not wait until november to submit your application because many interview spots will already be filled. Apply broadly and you should be ok.

I'm not going to post my personal statement on here for everyone. If you're on an ADCOM, you'll have a chance to read it in a couple weeks. PM&R is my #1 choice. If I was offered a position in a top ophtho/ortho/plastics/whatever program, I would turn it down and still go through the match for PM&R.

I have had exposure to PM&R as a patient and an observer, just no rotation yet. I have no desire for the relaxation part. I'm interested in doing multiple fellowships/research and working very hard once in practice. If the plenty of money comes that's fine. If not, I'm still doing it.

Would you turn down the opportunity to be Dr 90210? (Dr Ray)? He has a FINE life!

http://www.contactmusic.com/photos.nsf/main/jada_chang_2029522

OOPS! I Misread your post. You mean your PM&R rotation is 8 hours away so you can't just pop in for an afternoon ahead of time. I was thinking it was the other way around...

If that is the case then the attending at your away rotation should be very sympathetic to the situation, especially if there are no PM&R rotations at your location.

At my school we are told to apply as early as possible, even without the LORs, as programs fill in their interview spots quickly. Some programs give out interview spots just based on Step I and grades, and they look at the personal statement and LORs after the interview when they're deciding who to take.
Of course you should try to make your application as complete as possible, make sure your transcript and personal statement are uploaded and try to get at least one LOR, maybe from a medicine or sub-I rotation. You can add the PM&R letter later on in the year once you get it. Do not wait until november to submit your application because many interview spots will already be filled. Apply broadly and you should be ok.

Thanks. That was the info I was looking for. I've got 2 letters up already so I'll be applying asap and yes very broadly.

What state is your medical school in?

I'm at a caribbean school via canada which is why it was difficult getting an early pm&r rotation. I've done all my rotations to date in michigan.

Last edited: