applying 2019 cycle with old MCAT but retaking question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danielsgirl0403

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying to the 2019 cycle, and I have already taken my MCAT (back in September), got a terrible score, and am planning to retake it either April 13th, or May 11th. I want to send in my application May 31st/June 1st, right away on the first day its able to be submitted for the 2019 cycle. I already have an MCAT score to apply with, and it meets the minimum MCAT requirement of schools I plan on applying to. Would it be okay to take my MCAT May 11th, get my score back on June 11th (or so), and then that new score will be sent to the schools? It is a 2 week delay of my new MCAT score being sent after my application has been submitted.
Do admissions base your primary application on your MCAT score and put you in the "no"-pile if you don't meet their "average MCAT"? So, take the April 13th exam, or the May 11th exam?
I hope my question makes sense, thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

There is nothing in place to make schools wait to see your second score. If they get your app with just the poor score, they can trash it without waiting to see how your retake went. The only way to be certain every school knows your retake when they're reviewing your app, is to hold off on submission until your retake score is released.

Submitting the week that AMCAS begins transmitting vs a couple weeks later will make zero difference. A school reviewing your app with only the poor score absolutely poses a bigger threat to your chances.

So, do not submit your AMCAS until you get your second score back. Wait for it.