applying 27 schools, worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist32721

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am finally done with PS and applying either today or tomorrow.
My dat is
AA 21 TS 20
GPA
oGPA 3.66
sGPA 3.62
I am NY resident.
I have 300+ shadowing, 500+ volunteering, 800+ research and so on.

The bolded schools are where I really really want to go,
yet since I am a decent applicant, and I don't want to apply again next year,
I am applying "broadly" - that was suggested by my advisor and SDN friends.
Did I apply "broadly"?

What do you think about my list?
are these schools too many?
If you were me, which schools will you eliminate?

Thank you so much for your help!

My list of schools is:
USC
UCSF
UOP

WesternU
UConn
LECOM-FL
NOVA
UFlorida
BU
Harvard
Tufts

UMaryland
UNew England
UMICH
UNC
Rutgurs
Columbia
NYU
Stony Brook

Buffalo
Case Western
Ohio
Temple
UPenn
Pittsburgh

VCU
UWashington

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
27 is #overkill in my opinion, but if you have the money to burn, who am i to say. Your stats are good!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that it's your right and your decision to apply to 27 schools if you have the money, but unless you are a terrible interviewer, I think you will be just fine if you just apply to the 12 bolded schools. A couple are reaches (which isn't a bad thing), but between NYU, Tufts, BU, Stony, USC, and Pitt you should definitely get in somewhere.

Last cycle, I applied to 20+ schools with very similar stats. In the end, I received 18 interview invites. If I could do it over, I would have applied to 10-15 schools. It's really expensive, especially if you intend on going to every interview. It did, however, give me peace of mind throughout the application cycle. But like I said, it came at a big cost.

BTW - While what @TheEpicFruitCake said is true about high DATs for Columbia/Penn, I applied to both of those schools and got in to both (and will be attending one of them!) If you're interested and can afford it, I'd take a chance. I put out a similar list last year and almost removed the school I'm now starting at in August! You never know :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Last cycle, I applied to 20+ schools with very similar stats. In the end, I received 18 interview invites. If I could do it over, I would have applied to 10-15 schools. It's really expensive, especially if you intend on going to every interview. It did, however, give me peace of mind throughout the application cycle. But like I said, it came at a big cost.

BTW - While what @TheEpicFruitCake said is true about high DATs for Columbia/Penn, I applied to both of those schools and got in to both (and will be attending one of them!) If you're interested and can afford it, I'd take a chance. I put out a similar list last year and almost removed the school I'm now starting at in August! You never know :)

Did you go to all of those interviews? That's like... so much money.

Did you go to all of those interviews? That's like... so much money.

No, I didn't. I really didn't expect so many, and I felt really bad turning down interview invites. I think I went to most of the ones I could drive to.

No, I didn't. I really didn't expect so many, and I felt really bad turning down interview invites. I think I went to most of the ones I could drive to.

You are a boss haha! Feeling bad turning down so many interviews.

Did you go to every interview? :) jk didn't read above

You don't need to apply to so many with those stats. Narrow it down to 8- 10 schools

Reactions: 1 users
Remove UCSF, UF, Harvard, UNC, Columbia, and UW. You have little chance of getting in those.
I agree with everything except UCSF. I got an interview there... I'd apply if I were you. 27 is way too much with those stats.. You are going to be up to your eyeballs in secondary apps and fees. It's not worth it. Also why not stony brook? What do you like so much about BU?