Applying ACGME as a DO with USMLE failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidwestFM2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short I did not pass the USMLE and scored 453 on COMLEX. I have no intentions of retaking USMLE so this may be a silly question but is there any reason to even apply ACGME? Is it a requirement to pass the USMLE in order to do an ACGME residency? If not, will any programs consider someone with a USMLE failure if they have passed COMLEX? I will be taking Level 2, obviously hoping for improvement, but not Step 2. Appreciate the time, it is all very confusing to me.

Members don't see this ad.

USMLE is not required for ACGME accredited FM programs when a DO has passed COMLEX, but many programs still require it. Your bigger issue is the weak showing on COMLEX 1. That coupled with USMLE step 1 failure is likely to give most ACGME programs pause. (Yes, I know they're different exams; I've taken both.)
I don't really know how the combined match works as I'm now PGY3 and a little out of touch. Do you still have the opportunity to apply to only AOA programs? If so that seems the way to go.
Good luck and do better on level 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Primadonna. That's exactly what I was looking for. I was planning on only doing the AOA match, just wanted some confirmation that ACGME was closed to me and that I do not waste my money. I have seen some people get double digit interviews at ACGME programs with poor scores similar to mine but not a failure. The fact that others have gotten interviews made me think it may be an option. Seems prudent to simply forget about the ACGME match.