Applying BEFORE taking the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaedong

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm probably going to be applying to school BEFORE I take the DAT. Is this in any way advantageous for my chances for acceptance, or is this no different from applying on the day I take the DAT or after I take the DAT?
?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not advantageous at all. Schools will not review your application until it's complete.

A lot of people have done this. Depending on the school, it typically takes them a few weeks or a month to review your application. Generally, schools won't review your application for interview invitation until the application is 100% complete. Some schools do a preliminary look at your application without your DAT and then wait until you have your scores before inviting you to an interview.

In other words, don't expect to get any interviews until your DAT scores are uploaded. It generally takes two weeks from the date you take the exam for your scores to be uploaded to AADSAS. Add another week or two on top of that for the school to update your application status from incomplete to complete/ready for review. Then, depending on the school, it'll be a few weeks to a month before they make a decision to invite you or not for a pre-December decision (UConn for example reviews applications for interview invitation incredibly quick). Other times, the interview invitation decision process drags on to post-December.

Take the DAT ASAP. Delaying the exam does hurt you but only slightly so long as you take it before Aug. After that point, delaying the exam hurts you considerably. Why you might ask? Because if you take the exam in Sept., your application won't be reviewed until mid-October to November. By this point, the number of interview spots for pre-December decision is considerably reduced. Case Western begins inviting applicats in late-July to early-August.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only way it can be used to your advantage is to take it soon after you apply. I took it 2 weeks after submitting because they say it takes 4-6 weeks for addsas to get your app ready and send it to schools. but it takes 3-4 weeks for your dat to get sent. So you can get in an earlier batch if you plan it correct. If you plan on waiting months its not worth it...

I think I applied at the earliest date possible. My LORs weren't uploaded yet but I sent the application anyways. By the time I took the DAT in mid-July, my LORs were uploaded and I think I ended up being in the 8th or 9th batch.

I'd submit AADSAS the day you take the DAT if your scores are good enough. By the time the DAT scores count, the rest of the process should be complete. I wouldn't spend the money on the application before hand just in case you do poorly on the exam and can't get a refund.

I'd submit AADSAS the day you take the DAT if your scores are good enough. By the time the DAT scores count, the rest of the process should be complete. I wouldn't spend the money on the application before hand just in case you do poorly on the exam and can't get a refund.

I wouldn't recommend this. There's already a lag time before you submit your application and the time they check to see if it's completed and review it. It's best to submit the application ASAP and take the DAT soon after if you can't take it before application submission date. You should be taking practice exams and be pretty confidant as to what range your actual DAT score will be in.

Based on my experience it worked just fine. I applied in mid July then took the DAT Aug 31. My school received the scores 2 weeks later and invited me for an interview 2 weeks after that. I believe if I had applied after the DAT my application would have been delayed. It was also nice to know that when the exam was done all they needed were my scores.....no more for me to do.

I applied about a month before taking the DAT. I didnt really understand that my app wouldn't be complete until I took it (same with LORS/ committee letter/etc). If only I had looked on SDN I would of known just what everyone else here has already been saying ahead of time. In the long run it worked out, but I wish I had everything done ahead of time! The last thing you want is to find out you need to take the DAT again have to wait another 3 months with your application just floating around in space :smack:

Basically, it can be done! But its a lot of added stress and unnecessary waiting :rolleyes:

I think it makes sense because you can have everything ready to go and then you are just waiting on your scores. Also, some schools will accept a faxed copy of your unofficial score report (until your official score report arrives) which you receive the day of the exam. If everything is set to go then they can start reviewing your application right away.

I submitted my application in late June and took the DAT in late July. It worked out well for me.