applying both MD and DO question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Casey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do admissions committees feel when an applicant applies to both MD and DO? I know they don't always know but what if they ask about it? Is it looked upon negatively?

Members don't see this ad.

They have no way of knowing (except in Texas). They are two separate applications. I can't really imagine why they would ask.

How do admissions committees feel when an applicant applies to both MD and DO? I know they don't always know but what if they ask about it? Is it looked upon negatively?

This makes no difference one way or the other. As a member of two allopathic admissions committees, I have no way of knowing if a student has applied to osteopathic medical schools. In fact, I think that applying to both is pretty wise and shows that you are definitely interested in practicing medicine regardless of osteopathic or allopathic. If a student happened to mention that they applied to both (This is NOT a question that I would ask), I would take it as a plus factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
They have no way of knowing (except in Texas). They are two separate applications. I can't really imagine why they would ask.

Well, it's not unusual to be asked where else you have applied. But, I agree with njbmd that it would not be viewed as a negative.

Thank you for your quick responses. I figured they wouldn't really know but wondered if they would if the school has both a MD and DO program like MSU.

I applied to both MD and DO schools, and I was asked about it specifically at one DO school. In fact, I was grilled about it at that school. It ended up being no big deal, however, because I just replied to the questions honestly. I don't think you'll face any problems from MD schools (generally, they don't care and won't even think to ask), but some DO schools might be somewhat concerned that you are not actually interested in Osteopathic medicine, or their school, but are using them as a backup option of sorts. Not all DO schools care, but some do, and therefore might probe you about it to see where you stand. Obviously, it stands to reason that they are interested in accepting people who actually want to attend their program. I think you will be fine, however, if you can demonstrate authentic interest in, and knowledge of, Osteopathic principles and their school.

On a personal note, I agree with the above posts and think it's a good idea to apply to both MD and DO schools as well. You are looking for the best fit and the best programs that you stand a reasonable chance of getting into; naturally, this can span across both types of programs. If having an MD isn't a limiting factor for you and you think you would like OMM/OMT, then you are wisely expanding your options and choices.

Quite honestly, there isn't that much difference between MD and DO medical schools now-a-days, with the exception of integrated OMM/OMT training, a general focus on the Osteopathic tenents, and maybe, in some DO schools, additional attention to primary care and the medically-underserved. However, you can find similar curricular focuses in Allopathic schools, too, with the exception of integrated OMM/OMT training, which is exclusive to Osteopathic medical schools (although you can probably learn OMM/OMT post-graduate as an MD as well).

If a student happened to mention that they applied to both (This is NOT a question that I would ask), I would take it as a plus factor.

One word of caution however is that some older clinicians who interview are old enough to remember back to the days when DOs did not have the same scope of practice as MD, and maybe weren't as highly regarded, and thus do not necessarilly have the same view as njbmd. And DOs are more common in some jurisdictions than others, which may also create certain biases. I would be hesitant to talk about DO schools in an allo interview and vice versa (not that the matter ever comes up). There simply is no benefit.

I applied to both, and it was never brought up in interviews.

Which school?

I PM'ed you the name of the school. There were a whole bunch of "MD vs. DO"-type questions asked during my interview at that particular school, e.g., did I apply to any allopathic schools, how many allopathic and osteopathic schools I applied to, what are the differences between MD and DO, why DO and not MD, would and how my choice might change if I were hypothetically accepted to an allopathic school (or something like that), etc.

I applied in Texas and I think they will know there because Texas has their own match system, somewhat similiar to the residency match. Texas has one DO school in Ft Worth that most applicants apply to along with the allo schools. One interviewer (older guy) at an allo school asked me about TCOM (DO school). He asked if they were "real doctors" and wondered if they had the same practices as MDs. He wasn't being condescending but really didn't know. I thought it was funny. At TCOM they asked me about where else I had applied to but were used to everyone in Texas applying broadly.

I would just have some reasons why you want to go to DO school. That came up on my interview. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about applying to both. I think its a smart bet as the DO schools seem to be a little easier to get into and are more forgiving about minor stumbles you may have had in the past.

Burntcripsy, MD

One word of caution however is that some older clinicians who interview are old enough to remember back to the days when DOs did not have the same scope of practice as MD, and maybe weren't as highly regarded, and thus do not necessarilly have the same view as njbmd. And DOs are more common in some jurisdictions than others, which may also create certain biases. I would be hesitant to talk about DO schools in an allo interview and vice versa (not that the matter ever comes up). There simply is no benefit.

Why would you want to go to that school anyway if that's the case? I like honesty...so that's what I go with. I would love for it to come out that these guys are out of touch...definitely a sign that they aren't keeping up.

:)

Why would you want to go to that school anyway if that's the case? I like honesty...so that's what I go with.

Would you seriously not go to an allo program because an interviewer wasn't a fan of osteopathy? Like it or not, allo and osteo professions and schools are to some extent competitors, and they weren't always the big happy family of healthcare workers they are in hospitals in some jurisdictions today. And a single interviewer's viewpoint may not be that of most of his colleagues anyway.

I agree with Law2doc. It is naive to believe that at this point in time MDs and DOs are seen as equal by everyone. I'm not trying to start some DO vs MD bashing because I feel that both make fine physicians. But, if you want a competative residency it will be MUCH harder as a DO. I'm not agreeing with this at all but it is a stone cold fact. When I was applying to medical school one of my friends who is a DO told me to go MD if at all possible because DO would limit my residency options. I'm not saying its impossible to become a dermatologist as a DO, but it will be extremely difficult. I've got another friend of mine that's a DO who called up an anesthesiology residency in Texas. He was told not to send his application because they did not recognize his degree!!!!

So, like it or not there is still some discrimination against DOs. Another thing, there will be physicians at every medical school in the country that you don't get along with or have views that you don't agree with. This is just a fact of life and you will need to get some thick skin when you start medical school. Some physicians can be anywhere from not-so-nice to brutal on medical students and residents. You have to learn how to brush this off, hold your head up high and keep working to the best of your ability.

When applying to medical school I would make my choice based on the ranking of the medical school, if this school will help me to get a competative residency, and if I feel that I fit in at this school. Save the group hugs for home because they are few and far between in medical school.

Burntcrispy, MD

I was asked that at several schools. My answer was always the same: I applied to schools based on many factors, and I was ultimately looking for a good fit for both me and my family in a med school. I have worked with both MDs and DOs and I've seen great doctors and crappy doctors in both degrees. The letters mean nothing if the person isn't a good physician. And I was going to be a good physician, regardless of where I ultimately ended up.

After that explanation, I got few follow up questions.

I was asked in a couple secondaries to list every school that I applied to, when, and my status. What I think it come down to, in terms of interest of the adcom, is your motivation. One interviewer casually mentioned (after the interview while just chit-chatting) that they look at people who applied to both -at around the same time -as equals with those who applied to only DOs. But those who submitt their AACOMAS a while after they submitted their AMCAS are considered with suspicion because they look like once they didn't get any interest/interviews/acceptances from allopathic schools, they applied to DO schools as fallback.

Remember that your goal is to be a physician! If someone asks you about applying to both, tell them that. :thumbup:

G'luck :luck: :luck:

I applied to both DO and MD schools and was accepted by both. Only 1 DO school asked me if I also applied to MD schools as well. I told them yes and was rejecterd post interview, I don't know if my answer impacted on that decision.

I personally would not want to go to a school that was "concerned" about other schools you applied to.

I applied to both DO and MD schools and was accepted by both. Only 1 DO school asked me if I also applied to MD schools as well. I told them yes and was rejecterd post interview, I don't know if my answer impacted on that decision.

I personally would not want to go to a school that was "concerned" about other schools you applied to.

In my experience most school interviewers ask where else you applied. It is a pretty standard interview question. If a person was going to nix schools that ask this, they aren't going to have many options left.