Frosty808

2+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2017
Hi there,

I won't make this too complicated, here my summary:

- pre-reqs from 2006 to 2010 (15 to 11 years, respectively)
- took higher level courses 2010 to 2016
- thesis took 2 years to finish (oooh health/family problems)
- I already have a BS Bio and MSc in Biomedical degree (over 100 or so credits)
- planning to take MCAT early June 2021
- planning to apply July 2022 to matriculate 2022

The MSc degree DID NOT INCLUDE the basic pre-reqs:
chemistry
physics
ochem
gen bio (but my higher MSc included cell bio, embryology, biochemistry etc)

Question:
I know some schools require those four pre-requisite classes to be within 5 years so should I take more classes to show upward trend?

Thanks!
AL

Dec 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am assuming your BS in Bio included the basic pre reqs of chemistry, physics, ochem and gen bio. If it did, and you did well in those courses, I wouldn't recommend taking them again. You probably could take upper level bio and chemistry courses to show med schools that you can handle coursework after being out of school for 5 or so years. I've called/emailed the schools I plan on applying to, and none of them said past coursework would expire. I have seen a school that said pre reqs expire after 10 years for them, but I can't remember which school.

Are you planning on applying in July 2022 or 2021? Because there is no way you can apply in July and matriculate in July/August of the same year.

Also, do you have any shadowing/volunteering/clinical experiences?

Reactions: 1 user

Calizboosted76

SDN Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So we need more information. However I will give a stab at this.

You need to do the research and see which schools want prereqs to be completed when. A decent amount of schools will take prereqs from 7-10 years ago.

Also as @swimwreck has said, you will not be able to matriculate in 2022 if you are applying in 2022.

Frosty808

2+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2017
I am assuming your BS in Bio included the basic pre reqs of chemistry, physics, ochem and gen bio. If it did, and you did well in those courses, I wouldn't recommend taking them again. You probably could take upper level bio and chemistry courses to show med schools that you can handle coursework after being out of school for 5 or so years. I've called/emailed the schools I plan on applying to, and none of them said past coursework would expire. I have seen a school that said pre reqs expire after 10 years for them, but I can't remember which school.

Are you planning on applying in July 2022 or 2021? Because there is no way you can apply in July and matriculate in July/August of the same year.

Also, do you have any shadowing/volunteering/clinical experiences?
Hi Swimwreck,
Yes, I did pre-reqs from 2006 to 2010 (mostly Bs) with higher science courses 2012 to 2016, though the higher science courses were mostly Bs. During these two degrees, I was trying to "settle" in another science career since I never thought I was too smart (imposter syndrome seems to be a dark cloud that follows me).

I guess I do want to retake courses though I do have 216 units under my belt. I am sorry I realized my typo... I meant to apply this July but yes, I'm pushing for 515 MCAT and use my Fee Assistant discount *expires this year anyway* I think I have a decent "shot" at DO schools. I DO ANTICIPATE I will be a reapplicant but I'm thinking my Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 could've gone towards taking post bacc courses for reapplying Spring 2022 instead of working :unsure: That being said, I will reapply for Fee Assistant Program Again... I lost my job (again) due to COVID-19... *Sigh*

From my understanding, if you apply 2022 for DO schools (applications end Jan to March 2022) you can start July/August 2022 (if they accept you).

For Clinicals:

I have over 12 years' working a hospice, two years nursing home volunteer, and a co-operation's manager (six months contract) and also worked in a clinic over a year or so I have about... uhhh at least minimum 10,000 hours or so hours. This is just a guess, what is an estimate for 12 years? I gotta go calculate but it'll still be rounded number.

For Shadowing (in person now virtual): 156.25 hours

For Shadowing ("virtual"): 60 hours

One publication and 3 research acknowledgments

2 Summer Science Internships (back in 2010 and 2012)
2 Research Assistant Employment (2013 to 2014)

Baah, I guess I'll need to make an excel and email all schools in the United States...I wish we had MSAR keep track of this.... *sigh*

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.