Applying Early Decision Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilleAngyl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions about applying early decision:
-Are early decision applications for all medical schools always binding (if you apply and are accepted, you must go there)?
-For those of you who did apply early decision, and if it was binding, how were you so sure that this school was where you wanted to go? And, if you could apply again, would you still apply early decision?
-For those of you who did apply early decision, where did you apply?
-Is it easier to get in if you apply early decision?
-Any other opinions about applying this way?

Sorry for the inundation of questions buit I would appreciate as much information as possible. :) Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

i think early decision for med schools are binding; there are no "early action" type medical schools like there was for undergrad (i.e. harvard, brown). with that said, most early decision applicants have numbers above the average GPA and MCAT for that particular school. also, if you apply early decision, you cannot initiate any other applications until you've heard from the school, so if you get rejected or waitlisted (which is usually around oct), you're a little behind in the game. i didn't apply early decision anywhere, but if you're a strong applicant and definitely have a number one school, go for it. as for an advantage, i'm sure schools would like to fill their class with people who have demonstrated a commitment to their program. hope that helps a little.

Yeah, early decision is binding. I agree with docquaker that applying early somewhere sets you back significantly if you don't get in. It's for that reason our pre-health advisor recommends against applying early. Also, lots of times you don't know how much you'll like a school until you interview there. Applying early takes away your opportunity to examine other schools. So, you should be really really sure you love a school before you apply early. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you know where you want to go early on and are decently competent for that school, then there's nothing wrong in applying Early decision.

You know the decision by mid October... it definitely feels good to know your decision early! :)

Early decision is binding. I would only recommend it for people with special circumstances that HAVE to live in a particular area, making a particular medical school the necessary choice as an MD program.

In my case, NEOUCOM is the only accessible medical school to where I live. As I am married and my husband is employed in this area and we can't just move anywhere expecting him to find decent-paying employment... I did early decision because NEOUCOM was really my only choice. I was fortunate enough to get accepted mid-September, and I can relax and not worry about those stressful applications.

My GPA was above NEOUCOM's average, MCAT was about average. I have "life experience" as a middle school teacher that makes me an unusual applicant so that helped too.

Good luck
OldMD

Does anyone know any off hand stats on what percentage of early decision applicants get accepted? It seems like it has got to be more than for all regular applicants in a given year.

Originally posted by crystal18mc
Does anyone know any off hand stats on what percentage of early decision applicants get accepted? It seems like it has got to be more than for all regular applicants in a given year.

In this years Medical School Admission Requirements, I think the numbers were like this:

3% of all applicants were ED, of those, about 2/3 were accepted.

I don't have the book with me, but I'm pretty sure these are close.

I applied ED, for similar reasons to OldMD. It just fit where my life is right now. If you know exactly where you want to go, I highly recommend it. But I also agree that it can set you back if you don't get in.

Originally posted by Flack Pinku
If you know where you want to go early on and are decently competent for that school, then there's nothing wrong in applying Early decision.

You know the decision by mid October... it definitely feels good to know your decision early! :)

If you have good numbers and apply early (which you do anyways for ED), you can find out your decision by mid october in non-rolling schools. Originally I really thought I was going to apply ED to my state school just so I can get accepted early and get on with my year, but I ended up applying regular decision. I am glad I made that choice since now I have a lot more options - and out of my 6 interviews, I will know my status for 5 of the schools by early november. So the time difference is very insignificant. In addition, applying ED basically negates your bargaining power for financial aid in terms of "institutional scholarships" which the schools give at their discretion. If you have good stats, it's likely that you will be accepted to more then one school and can choose which school is best for you whether it's that ED school or some other one. I agree with those that said that ED is for those people who know they want to go to one specific school (better state then private, I think) for family or other reasons.