Applying Early Decision??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryan1342555

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying this June for admission in Fall 2017. I am torn between applying early decision and risk not getting in. For those who have applied early decision was it worth it/ why did you do it? Do you think ED helps your application or not really?

For some more info I want to go to my state school (UConn SOM). 4.0 gpa/514 MCAT, good research (2nd author on microbiology paper), great volunteering (food recovery, migrant farm clinics, senior center), good shadowing + LORs. I will also have completed or mostly completed a MPH by the time I apply. Father did his residency and works at UConn, sister is a current 2nd year student at UConn

Members don't see this ad.

Whenever you have an interest in applying ED to a school it is in your best interest to contact them specifically.

Many schools will set up a meeting to meet with you and discuss your credentials and whether they think you have a good shot ED and will basically tell you rather openly if you are competitive. If you meet with them they will also ask about your reasons for wanting to apply ED and based off that discussion they will give you necessary input and feedback as well. Keep in mind you cant apply anywhere else until you hear back from them(which will be in October) you are basically going all or nothing on that ED school if you apply ED.

But anyway meeting with that school is by far and away the best thing you can do. All anybody here can tell you is your stats are well within range for UCONN. Whether or not you should apply ED or not, that is something only you can determine with the input you get from the school being a main determining factor in your decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Usually the people who apply ED do so for very compelling reasons, such as not wanting to move school-aged children across the country. It doesn't really sound like you have a compelling reason to be at that particular school. But if you think you do, like the above poster said, set up a meeting with the dean of admissions and get their approval.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not like ED for undergrad. EDP exists for people who really need to be at a particular school, usually for family-related reasons. I have never heard of an EDP case that is unrelated to family. If you cannot articulate such a hardcore inflexible reason to attend the school, you will be advised by the office not to apply. So contact the office

Usually the people who apply ED do so for very compelling reasons, such as not wanting to move school-aged children across the country. It doesn't really sound like you have a compelling reason to be at that particular school. But if you think you do, like the above poster said, set up a meeting with the dean of admissions and get their approval.

It seems that OP's reason is not solely for "legacy" but that his entire family is in the area, so if he wants to stay at home that's a compelling reason (obviously not as compelling as OP having kids but more compelling than someone who isn't from Connecticut and just wants to stay there.)

It seems that OP's reason is not solely for "legacy" but that his entire family is in the area, so if he wants to stay at home that's a compelling reason (obviously not as compelling as OP having kids but more compelling than someone who isn't from Connecticut and just wants to stay there.)
We do not see "I want to stay close to home...just because" as a compelling reason. You need to have an inflexible commitment to justify most EDP arguments. It is a sad reality but most admissions deans will not sympathize with a sniffly 22-year-old's desire to stay with mommy and daddy if there are not real hardships

Reactions: 1 user
We do not see "I want to stay close to home...just because" as a compelling reason. You need to have an inflexible commitment to justify most EDP arguments. It is a sad reality but most admissions deans will not sympathize with a sniffly 22-year-old's desire to stay with mommy and daddy if there are not real hardships

Let's not make generalizations here. ED acceptances are not just because there's a family hardship. This obviously varies by school, but if there is an applicant with an application so strong that they would be accepted anyway and they have strong ties (family) to the area and have no desire to go anywhere else, that's a pretty good ED candidate.

Not sure why everyone's response to someone wanting to stay close to home is because they need their parents or they're "sniffly." I'm independent and live a while away from my hometown, and it kills me to miss family events, birthday parties, little kids growing up, etc. People are allowed to have a close family relationship without "needing their mommy and daddy."

Reactions: 2 users
The other big thing is that ED people have to be a strong fit for a school and their mission. Guess who are the people who determine that? The admisisons committtee of that school themselves. OP that's really who you gotta contact to figure out everything; you're limited in the advice you can get on here otherwise.

ED also varies tremendously from school to school; if a school on average only takes say 1 person a year through their ED program, then yeah something like a strong family related reason or another dire reason to have to stay in the region is probably going to be vital. But if a school historically takes much more than that through ED(much more being relative)? Then there might perhaps be more flexibility and the school might be fine with the OP's reasons for wanting to do EDP. I've seen people accepted EDP in the past without what SDN would describe as any overly pressing reason to EDP, such is hardly some ironclad rule; again much will come down to what the school tells the OP.

Let's not make generalizations here. ED acceptances are not just because there's a family hardship. This obviously varies by school, but if there is an applicant with an application so strong that they would be accepted anyway and they have strong ties (family) to the area and have no desire to go anywhere else, that's a pretty good ED candidate.

Not sure why everyone's response to someone wanting to stay close to home is because they need their parents or they're "sniffly." I'm independent and live a while away from my hometown, and it kills me to miss family events, birthday parties, little kids growing up, etc. People are allowed to have a close family relationship without "needing their mommy and daddy."
Hence why I said it is a "sad reality." I do not agree with the viewpoint but it is one I have heard many times over when my Dean discussed EDP applicants (though obviously not as harsh as I made it out to be). Agree that I was generalizing.