Applying ESIR/IR with a disability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheStruggleBus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll- I posted this in the wrong place yesterday so I thought I'd post here,

I'm a 3rd year medical student that's most likely applying DR in the fall. I've been on the DR train for a while now, but I found out on my OB rotation that I do love procedures and I really loved Cath lab whenever I've rotated through there during my radiology selective. I particularly like interventional rad/neurorad.

My issue is that I've got a disability in my left hand, and I have difficulty with opposing my 3rd,4th, 5th fingers- I was diagnosed with abnormal vasculature in my right parietal lobe leading to my deficits. I've worked around this deficit fairly easily my whole life, I simply type slow and find myself severely right hand dominant. I just want to make sure I can really do whatever my job will require, and I want to do it well.

Would It be best for me to apply DR, take electives to see if I can really do something interventional, and then apply to ESIR? I'd like to apply IR, but I know people would understandably be skeptical, and IR already has plenty of great applicants.

Also, what's the best way to talk about this deficit when applying to residencies/fellowships?

I've spoken to a few people about this, and I've honestly gotten mixed reviews, a few interventionists say I could work around it no problem, but the IR guy at my school was somewhat skeptical, and understandably so.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.