Applying for 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sAmsOn25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Application time is quickly approaching and I'm starting to second guess myself. I've been reading through a lot of the posts and my ECs are a little different from what I've seen.

Major: English
cumGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.62
MCAT: 41 P

- worked full/part time all through college
- worked for 4 months at care facility for individuals with physical/mental handicaps (pretty much primary care)
- completed editing internship for a university publication
- TA for Gen chem and O-chem (3 semesters)
- Student athlete tutor (2 semesters)
- Spanish interpreter for doctors (2 semesters)
- class instructor and executive secretary at my church

I don't have any research experience, and to be honest I've never really been interested in doing any (unless you count writing loads of research papers for English classes :)).

I still haven't really decided which schools I'll be applying for, but I'd like to apply to a few high-rankers like Columbia and Cornell. I know my MCAT is highly competitive, but, like I said, I feel my ECs might be a little on the weak side? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Except for the research, which is not required, you have all the usual elements of a med school application. You are very strong with teaching. Perhaps the executive secretary position could be considered Leadership. Acting as a Spanish interpreter for physicians could be looked on as Shadowing, as well as Clinical Experience, and maybe even Community Service if you were not paid. The work in a care facility adds to this Clinical Eperience. If you have published any work, even poetry, there is a place for you to put that on the AMCAS application. If you engaged in sports, include it to demonstrate teamwork. I don't think the type of research you've engaged in is probably what med school adcomms are looking for. This may put you at a disadvantage when you apply to highly-selective, research-strong medical schools. The only suggestion I'd make is to perhaps get in 1-2 brief formal shadowing experiences where you follow a doc around for 4-8 hours a few times and see what more of their day is like when they are not interacting with patients, as many med schools will expect to see that type of experience as a demonstration that you know what you're getting yourself into.

Thanks for the insight. I'll get on that right away.