Applying for a Patent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

Does anyone here have experience with applying for a patent? Costs? Timeline? Any good websites that anyone can suggest? It's for a medical device.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied for a veterinary related patent. I had a patent lawyer take care of it and it has cost about 5000 total so far and may be a bit more when the reviewers get back to us.It took me about 2 months to prepare the application with him. Currently it's awaiting first action which can take at least 12-18 months. For a medical device this could take even longer (24+ months).

Do you know the details about patents internationally? I know of US vs Japan vs other country patents. Is the US patent basically the highest standard? Does one need to submit to more than one country?

Members don't see this ad :)
You would be best suited to discuss this matter with a patent lawyer or even an international business/corporate/patent lawyer. They would at least be able to guide you in the correct direction and possibly take care of the issue and alleviate the headache for you entirely. Good luck.

There is a good book called "Patent yourself" from Nolo Publishing. It explains how to prepare and file your patent. I think it available at Amazon.
Maybe you should go with provisional patent first: it costs way less (below two hundred bucks) and you could prepare one by yourself. This is not a real patent and it buys you time (1 year) to file patent paperwork.
You may also wish to read about 'prior art' and all kinda stuff.
Good luck!

Do you know the details about patents internationally? I know of US vs Japan vs other country patents. Is the US patent basically the highest standard? Does one need to submit to more than one country?

I have a mobile application in patent pending status in Japan. They said that it works the same as the rest of the world. dont know if that was true, but that is what they said... I think it would be wise to patent in usa and have them make it international.