Applying for Anesthesiology Residency this cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's everyone's thought on only applying to categorical programs? Is this unheard of or is it fairly safe now that so many are categorical? I'm not sure how I'm going to play it yet, but I would much rather do that than a prelim and and an advanced position. Just trying to gauge the best way to apply.

Only a couple people I met on the interview trail did this. Most everyone applies to both.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on Doximity Anesthesiology Rankings: (I do realize rankings fluctuate based on the source, but to my knowledge after having done some research the top 10 are the top 10)

Wake- #20
Mount Sinai- #26
UVA- #24
UNC- #28

Those all seem to be in the same playing field to me, unless I am missing something here?

After doing some more research on my own into each specific program and past applicants, I believe Blade is pretty accurate. Anesthesiology doesn't seem to be near as competitive as it was years ago. I know with a 244 step 1 assuming everything else is decently in line you have no problem matching a middle of the road general surgery categorical position. I would only hope you can match a top of line anesthesiology program with the same CV.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on Doximity Anesthesiology Rankings: (I do realize rankings fluctuate based on the source, but to my knowledge after having done some research the top 10 are the top 10)

Wake- #20
Mount Sinai- #26
UVA- #24
UNC- #28

Those all seem to be in the same playing field to me, unless I am missing something here?

After doing some more research on my own into each specific program and past applicants, I believe Blade is pretty accurate. Anesthesiology doesn't seem to be near as competitive as it was years ago. I know with a 244 step 1 assuming everything else is decently in line you have no problem matching a middle of the road general surgery categorical position. I would only hope you can match a top of line anesthesiology program with the same CV.

I think you are out of touch with reality. This thing is created by "over 17,000 physicians" based on "reputation".

Did you look at the rest of that list? The top five are pretty undisputed by most anyone's regards (UCSF, Stanford, Duke, MGH, B&W). Then you have Hopkins in the top 10, which is insane... great medicine program? Absolutely. Great gas program? Not so much. They are good, but no where near the top 10. If you think otherwise it is probably because you are relying on the Hopkins name like they do for their residency program. Their clinical training is good, but not top 10 quality. You ask them what makes them good? "Because we are Hopkins..."

Number 13 = Florida? Have you seen their match streak the past five years...there is a reason why they almost never fill. It is a work horse program with adequate, but not great training. They are an average program at best. I am from an hour south of Gainesville. Really wanted to like it, but couldn't. It's a very average program, yet ranked number 13 on this ranking system. Is Shands strong in other areas? Absolutely... but probably doesn't even actually fall in the top 33% let alone number 13 overall.

Number 18 = Emory? Again, this is a joke. Emory has a big name in other specialities, which is why it ended up being ranked the way it does. This list has always been a joke. As someone who interviewed almost exclusively on the east coast (and at each of the programs listed above) and had interviews at 26 of the 28 I applied to.... this list means almost absolutely zero.

Also, I cannot speak for the other numbers, but Wake's numbers are wildly inaccurate. We place over 50% of people into fellowships every year (most often closer to 70%). Doximity says the number is 26%.

That being said, I think you are absolutely right that someone with a 244 should get interviews at most of the programs they to which they apply. I was not disputing this. If you think Wake is a back up program, you are going to be sorely mistaken come match day. Winston-Salem is not for everyone, but I would put our clinical training up against just about anyone (as I would our fellowship match rate and our ability to send residents whereever they want to go).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are out of touch with reality. This thing is created by "over 17,000 physicians" based on "reputation".

Did you look at the rest of that list? The top five are pretty undisputed by most anyone's regards (UCSF, Stanford, Duke, MGH, B&W). Then you have Hopkins in the top 10, which is insane... great medicine program? Absolutely. Great gas program? Not so much. They are good, but no where near the top 10. If you think otherwise it is probably because you are relying on the Hopkins name like they do for their residency program. Their clinical training is good, but not top 10 quality. You ask them what makes them good? "Because we are Hopkins..."

Number 13 = Florida? Have you seen their match streak the past five years...there is a reason why they almost never fill. It is a work horse program with adequate, but not great training. They are an average program at best. I am from an hour south of Gainesville. Really wanted to like it, but couldn't. It's a very average program, yet ranked number 13 on this ranking system. Is Shands strong in other areas? Absolutely... but probably doesn't even actually fall in the top 33% let alone number 13 overall.

Number 18 = Emory? Again, this is a joke. Emory has a big name in other specialities, which is why it ended up being ranked the way it does. This list has always been a joke. As someone who interviewed almost exclusively on the east coast (and at each of the programs listed above) and had interviews at 26 of the 28 I applied to.... this list means almost absolutely zero.

Also, I cannot speak for the other numbers, but Wake's numbers are wildly inaccurate. We place over 50% of people into fellowships every year (most often closer to 70%). Doximity says the number is 26%.

That being said, I think you are absolutely right that someone with a 244 should get interviews at most of the programs they to which they apply. I was not disputing this. If you think Wake is a back up program, you are going to be sorely mistaken come match day. Winston-Salem is not for everyone, but I would put our clinical training up against just about anyone (as I would our fellowship match rate and our ability to send residents whereever they want to go).

Your long rant would apply to any top 20 program in the USA. Someone else's back program is another's primary match. That is just how it works.
Could Wake be in the Top 10 nationally? Possibly but doubtful. Is it a Top 20 program? Likely. Sorry, but any of the Top 20 Programs in the USA are great programs and would make a motivated Resident a rock star. So, let it go and move on.

Wake- #20
Mount Sinai- #26
UVA- #24
UNC- #28

I would not base anything off Doximity's ranking. It's pretty worthless, though I did take a look at it when I was applying and quickly realized that I wont be doing anything with it. A step 1 of 244 will make the step cutoff at pretty much everywhere, but this doesn't mean you will be interviewed just because you make the cut off. It also depends on if they think your application matches their school, and how many applicants are applying.

I would say people on SDN in general (not just anesthesiology) care WAYYY too much about "prestige" or reputation. In PP, do they really care if you came from a top 10 program vs top 20? In academics, they look at your papers. If you came out of MGH with a paper in a journal w/ Impact of 1, vs some dood who graduated from a "lesser" school with several better papers in mid tier journals, they will the latter if all else being equal.

And I dont agree that Anesthesiology now is less competitive. Almost a couple of decades ago, spots went unfilled b/c ppl didn't want to do it. Today, it's not hard to get into anesthesiology, just like its not hard to get into Gen surg or IM, b/c it's such a big field. But if you want to get into a strong program, it still is very competitive. Look on Freida, the current residents step score at Sinai is >240

Last edited:

Wake- #20
Mount Sinai- #26
UVA- #24
UNC- #28

You're forgetting about location. For a lot of specialties, even mid-tier programs in NYC or Cali are more competitive than stronger ones elsewhere. If it's a strong program in NYC (as is the case here) then it becomes really competitive.

I am sure just as you guys say many school can provide excellent training if you do your part as a resident. Which 5-10 programs would you suggest applying to with no real geographic constraints? Which 5 programs would still be great programs that I can potentially use as more of "safety" schools? I was assuming doximity and some of these other sites out there were accurate enough.

In addition, I know some people may get interview Invites in October, but what is the earliest people can actually go on an interview? Thanks everyone you all are very helpful and I appreciate it.

I am sure just as you guys say many school can provide excellent training if you do your part as a resident. Which 5-10 programs would you suggest applying to with no real geographic constraints? Which 5 programs would still be great programs that I can potentially use as more of "safety" schools? I was assuming doximity and some of these other sites out there were accurate enough.

In addition, I know some people may get interview Invites in October, but what is the earliest people can actually go on an interview? Thanks everyone you all are very helpful and I appreciate it.

I went to a Top 5 Residency Program based on most of what you people list as such on SDN. That said, any of the top 20 programs would have trained me to do anesthesiology well. My program taught me critical thinking skills as well as the motor skills of the specialty.

Where do you want to practice post Residency? Focus on good programs in that geography. May I suggest the West Coast or Midwest if you plan on private practice? Don't get me wrong I like the Southern states and Texas the most but the most opportunities are not there.

Back-up programs located in the South with a Step 1 of 240+:

1. UVA
2. UNC
3. Univ of Miami
4. UF
5. Emory

Good programs in the Midwest (not necessarily back-up):

1. Mayo
2. UPMC
3. Michigan
4. Univ. of Chicago
5. Northwestern
6. Wisconsin (really good jobs in Wisconsin!)

West Coast:

1. UCSF
2. Stanford
3. San Diego (great weather)
4. Univ of Washington (solid all around program)
5. UCLA

Texas:

Texas. God Bless Texas.

I left the Northeast out because they think they are the center of the world. Good programs abound but you know about most of those already.

Last edited:
Thanks blade I will do some further research on all those schools you suggest. Having been from the east coast my whole life I wonder if getting interviews on the west coast is going to be an issue? I know the west coast has some great programs hopefully my scores will be competitive enough. Ofcourse the tops programs in the northeast I am well aware of and hopefully I will get some interview offers from them!

Last edited:
How many more programs should you apply to if you are couples matching? I was thinking around 30. How many interviews should you attend? 15? Also, how much does it typically cost to interview, I know this varies if you drive vs fly to locations, but I read somewhere each interview costs an average of $335 dollars. Does that sound about right?

How many more programs should you apply to if you are couples matching? I was thinking around 30. How many interviews should you attend? 15? Also, how much does it typically cost to interview, I know this varies if you drive vs fly to locations, but I read somewhere each interview costs an average of $335 dollars. Does that sound about right?

Depends on the credentials of the weaker candidate.

How much should one consider the fellowships offered by a program when deciding where to apply/rank. I am aware anesthesia is undergoing change and have read the crazy speculations of doom and gloom from everyone throughout the forum. I have experience/interest in pain or pediatric anesthesia fellowships, and am leaning towards building my resume towards pain as it would allow me to go out on my own if i so chose. Does anyone with experience in the field or current residents have any insight into pediatric anesthesiology vs pain medicine? Any specific program to take a hard look for these future fellowship opportunities?

Members don't see this ad :)
How much should one consider the fellowships offered by a program when deciding where to apply/rank. I am aware anesthesia is undergoing change and have read the crazy speculations of doom and gloom from everyone throughout the forum. I have experience/interest in pain or pediatric anesthesia fellowships, and am leaning towards building my resume towards pain as it would allow me to go out on my own if i so chose. Does anyone with experience in the field or current residents have any insight into pediatric anesthesiology vs pain medicine? Any specific program to take a hard look for these future fellowship opportunities?

I wouldn't let the quality of fellowships at a program necessarily deter you from applying to/ranking specific programs. Plenty of very strong anesthesia programs don't have all of the possible fellowships (UVA is a good example where they don't have a cardiac fellowship but you still get great cardiac training as a resident). To be fair, it seems to be much easier to match at your home program for any given fellowship. I would just focus on applying broadly and see where you fit in best in terms of geography/education-style/case variety/etc. The fellowships offered by a program can be a small part of the equation but shouldn't be the main deciding factor.

Sorry to hijack this thread! For a super average applicant like myself with step 1 of only 229, what are some programs within reach across the country? Which ones should I not even think about? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry to hijack this thread! For a super average applicant like myself with step 1 of only 229, what are some programs within reach across the country? Which ones should I not even think about? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I know everyone gets nervous about this sort of stuff, but please understand how difficult of a question this is to answer as it depends on so many variables. A student with a 229, great letters of recommendation and solid (but not necessarily amazing) clinical grades that is also personable and fun to be around (read: will interview well), has a great shot just about anywhere, especially if he/she can improve a bit on Step 2. The amount of "top tier" interviews you will get depends on many factors, including who you know, where you're from, and how tight a year it is. This is all assuming, of course, that you have no "red flags" in your application- disciplinary problems, failed rotations or courses, unexplained leaves of absence, etc.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but telling you which schools you will interview at and which you won't based on a Step score is truly guesswork. Think back to when you applied to medical school. If you were like me you eventually had to accept there was a certain element of randomness to the entire thing that no amount of planning or hand wringing could account for. Apply broadly to everywhere you're interested in. When you get interviews, you will likely go on: all of your "top tier" invites, one or two "backups" (usually your home program and one more), and then fill out your list with programs that aren't your dream places to train but would provide you with solid training in a location you'd like to live for a few years.

Then the most important part: before making your rank list, have some brutally honest conversations with yourself about the sort of environment you will thrive in, what you want from your training, and what you want from your career. I have a spouse who is also in medicine who calls me out on my bull****; these sorts of people are invaluable. Perhaps listen to Malcom Gladwells chapter in "David and Goliath" about the 'Big Fish, Little Pond' effect, picking colleges, and STEM degrees- DO NOT make the mistake of picking the ultra-competitive, sink-or-swim program with a big name if you are the sort of person who thrives in a more supportive, nurturing environment. That, I believe, is where the most people go wrong in this process.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it ok to send 4 letters to all the anesthesiology programs applied to? I have noticed some places say three, but ERAS lets you send 4 and it seems to be what most everyone does?

No. Those who send 4 letters vs. 3 are immediately out of contention. They are viewed as ozone depleting, whale killing, puppy hating, abortionists based solely on their desire to include the superfluous LOR.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it ok to send 4 letters to all the anesthesiology programs applied to? I have noticed some places say three, but ERAS lets you send 4 and it seems to be what most everyone does?
I would send what the program asks for. If you send 4 to a program asking for 3, does it mean your app is shredder bound? No. But, if I were on the other side of this process, you would have a mini-strike against you by sending 4 bc you either didn't check the program website, did check the website and cannot follow simple instructions, or are trying to overcompensate.

How exactly is Emory being ranked in top 20 a joke? Level I trauma at Grady, a renowned peds hospital, number of training hospitals with diverse patient populations, transplants, accomplished attendings, and success placing residents into fellowships/jobs. All that, on top of the Emory name, makes it seem like top 20 is pretty reasonable. I'm not from Emory so I have no ulterior motive. Just curious re: your beef with them (since I've applied there and Wake).

How exactly is Emory being ranked in top 20 a joke? Level I trauma at Grady, a renowned peds hospital, number of training hospitals with diverse patient populations, transplants, accomplished attendings, and success placing residents into fellowships/jobs. All that, on top of the Emory name, makes it seem like top 20 is pretty reasonable. I'm not from Emory so I have no ulterior motive. Just curious re: your beef with them (since I've applied there and Wake).

Take the posts on SDN for what they are worth...

Wake/Baptist is a good program. Is it top ten? Not in my opinion. Top 20? Maybe. Top 30. yes. UF? Wake has a stronger program IMHO but UF and UM are both solid residencies. Emory? Good program probably on par with UF and you may prefer the location over Gainesville.

Blade, I've been quietly following this forum for years and have come to respect the tremendous wisdom and experience you and several of the other "elder statesmen" here share so freely.

My question is what kind of data are you using to form your loose rankings? As an applicant I'm having a hard time knowing what is truly important and what's just noise. Of course I know you can't really quantify the intangibles like "fit", location, and name recognition. But I'd like to have at least some objective analysis. How much weight would you give to some of the things below, all of which I've seen advertised on different program websites.
  • Is a program where residents have done 2x the minimum ACGME cases by the end of CA2 better than a program where residents only do 1.2-1.5x the minimum? A few programs directly report this info on their website, but is it published anywhere by the ACGME?
  • How important is the full-time faculty : resident ratio?
  • Should I avoid programs that have not obtained the maximum re-certification cycle length?
  • As noted already, the % who sub-specialize on doximity are inaccurate (data is derived from doximity profiles alone), but even if it were accurate is that an important figure to pay attention to?
  • Some programs clearly have more intense didactics than others... is weak didactics acceptable if the trade-off is getting to go home earlier to read?
  • How important, really, are simulation labs? Every program has one, but some seem to integrate them into the curriculum more than others. Does this matter?
  • Does it matter if your training is spread out evenly among several different facilities vs all of your time at just one or two facilities?
  • Does it make a difference if you train at a large public hospital vs academic ivory tower (e.g., mayo)?
  • Does the number of faculty who are oral board examiners really matter?
I'm a US MD senior, step 1 250s, step 2 260s, half honors, half high pass, good-to-great LORs, one big research project over MS1-MS2 with publication (non-anesthesia) but nothing since then - I don't hate research but honestly I'd rather be taking are of patients than writing papers. My goal is to be a rock star anesthesiologist, either in a high-acuity private practice doing big cases or in academics on a clinical track.

I hope I'll be a fairly competitive applicant, but I also have strong ties to a particular area. If I have the opportunity to leave and go to a "top 15" program, should I do so? Or will it not matter in the grand scheme of things to stay near home at a respected but definitely middle-tier, top 40-60 academic program?

It all depends on what you want.

4 years is not a long time. Will you ever leave your "area" otherwise? Would you like to live somewhere different/cool for a few years?

This may be your only chance to experience something else. Anesthesia as a specialty is out what you make of it. At any place > middle tier you will be exposed to a wide variety of cases.

Go where you think you will be happy, it will all work out in the end if you bust your ass.

Why does ranking even matter? You'll eventually be a paper pusher once you work for an AMC anyway. Most people will end up in AMCs in the future according to this website.

I'll take a stab at this.

• Is a program where residents have done 2x the minimum ACGME cases by the end of CA2 better than a program where residents only do 1.2-1.5x the minimum? A few programs directly report this info on their website, but is it published anywhere by the ACGME?
This depends on the complexity of the cases. Barely meeting numbers in multiple types of cases is a big red flag though.
Our rooms are still 2:1, except cardiac and livers. Probably doesn't matter.
  • Should I avoid programs that have not obtained the maximum re-certification cycle length?
They changed accreditation recently so all programs have the same 10yr certification cycle. But they can be audited at anytime I believe. So I would avoid a program that's constantly being audited.
  • As noted already, the % who sub-specialize on doximity are inaccurate (data is derived from doximity profiles alone), but even if it were accurate is that an important figure to pay attention to?
I don't think this matters. If you want to do a competitive fellowship you are more likely to match at your home program- so it might be of benefit to go to a program that has the fellowship you are looking for. Fellowship interest seems to wax and wane depending on the job market that year.
  • Some programs clearly have more intense didactics than others... is weak didactics acceptable if the trade-off is getting to go home earlier to read?
This depends on how you learn, and how good the lectures are. I personally hate sitting in lecture and would rather be at home reading.
  • How important, really, are simulation labs? Every program has one, but some seem to integrate them into the curriculum more than others. Does this matter?
Eh, I dunno.
  • Does it matter if your training is spread out evenly among several different facilities vs all of your time at just one or two facilities?
Depends on how much you like to drive/ how bad traffic is in the city and how far apart they are from each other. Do I want to have to drive an hour in traffic to get to the hospital when I'm used to driving 15 mins- no. But being exposed to different hospital settings/equipment/staff has been beneficial I think. Our VA, main hospital, and Children's are vastly different from each other in terms of environment.
  • Does it make a difference if you train at a large public hospital vs academic ivory tower (e.g., mayo)?
This is probably more dependent on where you want to be after residency. If you want to be in X area and they have a residency program nearby (assuming it's decent), you are probably more likely to get a job through your local connections. Also, being close to social support has its benefits. I didn't think I'd miss being close to home, but now I'm finding I wish I could go home more often.
Maybe? It's not like they will give you a mock oral every time you work with them.

I would send what the program asks for. If you send 4 to a program asking for 3, does it mean your app is shredder bound? No. But, if I were on the other side of this process, you would have a mini-strike against you by sending 4 bc you either didn't check the program website, did check the website and cannot follow simple instructions, or are trying to overcompensate.

So I had a quick question about this. I was looking at some of the requirements from different residencies and most of them state that they want 3 LOR (UCSF, Emory, Case western, Duke, etc..) But they don't specifically mention that the maximum is 3 LOR, they just say a "complete application" includes 3 LOR. Although Duke initially mentioned 3 LOR, they later state that even 4 LOR is acceptable (look at screenshot). Do you think this is the same with most other schools unless they specifically state that the max is 3 LOR? Thanks for your help guys!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 74
I sent 4 when I interviewed, Noone gave a $hit

So I had a quick question about this. I was looking at some of the requirements from different residencies and most of them state that they want 3 LOR (UCSF, Emory, Case western, Duke, etc..) But they don't specifically mention that the maximum is 3 LOR, they just say a "complete application" includes 3 LOR. Although Duke initially mentioned 3 LOR, they later state that even 4 LOR is acceptable (look at screenshot). Do you think this is the same with most other schools unless they specifically state that the max is 3 LOR? Thanks for your help guys!
I submitted 3 to programs that asked for 3, 4 to the programs that wanted a "minimum of 3," and 4 to programs that didn't specify a number. As partydoc says, it probably doesn't really matter at all one way or the other as long as you send in the minimum to be marked as complete. I just adopted a literal interpretation of the letter guidelines.

Blade, I've been quietly following this forum for years and have come to respect the tremendous wisdom and experience you and several of the other "elder statesmen" here share so freely.

My question is what kind of data are you using to form your loose rankings? As an applicant I'm having a hard time knowing what is truly important and what's just noise. Of course I know you can't really quantify the intangibles like "fit", location, and name recognition. But I'd like to have at least some objective analysis. How much weight would you give to some of the things below, all of which I've seen advertised on different program websites.
I'm a US MD senior, step 1 250s, step 2 260s, half honors, half high pass, good-to-great LORs, one big research project over MS1-MS2 with publication (non-anesthesia) but nothing since then - I don't hate research but honestly I'd rather be taking are of patients than writing papers. My goal is to be a rock star anesthesiologist, either in a high-acuity private practice doing big cases or in academics on a clinical track.

I hope I'll be a fairly competitive applicant, but I also have strong ties to a particular area. If I have the opportunity to leave and go to a "top 15" program, should I do so? Or will it not matter in the grand scheme of things to stay near home at a respected but definitely middle-tier, top 40-60 academic program?

With a Step 1 score of 250 you should match at a Top 10-15 Program in the region in which you are most likely to practice Anesthesiology. If there is a chance you will practice Academics here is what I recommend: Top ten program followed by a top ten fellowship.

No offense to the applicant with a Step 1 of 230 but someone with a Step over 245-250 should put that score to good use IMHO. I'm not sure that score is good for much else other than landing a top Residency program so go ahead and use it for such.

If you PM I'll be able to give more specific advice on WHY you should pursue a Top 10 program.
I've NEVER regretted going to a Top Ten ranked Program for my training and I believe it molded me into an outstanding Anesthesiologist.

With a Step 1 over 250 you should be able to select the Region and the Program which meets your qualifications.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any insight into cleveland clinic foundation anesthesiology program?

Hi all,

I have been a long time member of SDN and have created this account specifically for guidance in applying to anesthesiology residency. I would greatly appreciate help from anyone and everyone. I have done quite a bit of research and it seems as it anesthesiology is one of those fields where it is very difficult to find average USMLE scores for applicants who successfully matched at a program.

I am going to be graduating this year from a US MD school. It is not a top tier school by any means.

-second quartile for class rank
-3 honors/1 near honors in clerkships
-one abstract from over 4 years ago
-USMLE Step 1: 244 first attempt
USMLE Step 2: Will be taking in the next couple months and anticipating 245+
LOR: Will have 1 from critical care/IM, 1 from dept chair anesthesiology, 1 anesthesiology attending, and 1 OB/GYN

Are there any programs that may be out of reach and not worth applying too? Any suggestions on what schools to look into on the east coast? Thanks in advance for all your help!
any school will do. the world is your oyster

Step 2 score came back at 250. I am hoping this will sway some of the bigger name programs to offer an interview as deans letters come out tomorrow. Thanks fivecc!

At what point in the application cycle is it acceptable to call a school and express your interest? (I know it is far to early at this point) Thanks for all the help everyone!

From the interview thread I am able to see which schools have begun giving out interviews. Not sure if they occur in batches or all at once at places though.

At what point in the application cycle is it acceptable to call a school and express your interest? (I know it is far to early at this point) Thanks for all the help everyone!

From the interview thread I am able to see which schools have begun giving out interviews. Not sure if they occur in batches or all at once at places though.
programs have limited interview spots and often choose to invite candidates they believe have a higher likelihood of ranking them highly at the end of interview season (considerations include geography and the usual caliber of applicants they tend to match). By contacting them and expressing interest, you provide evidence that an interview for you would not be wasted.

programs have limited interview spots and often choose to invite candidates they believe have a higher likelihood of ranking them highly at the end of interview season (considerations include geography and the usual caliber of applicants they tend to match). By contacting them and expressing interest, you provide evidence that an interview for you would not be wasted.

Does anyone have advice on taking this approach if you already have an interview in a certain location that is far from where you are (ex: live in LA and applying to schools in NY). Just wasn't sure if I should incorporate that I already have interviews in the area in addition to my interest in being in that area.

Sitting on plenty of anesthesiology interview invites at the moment, but have not heard from 12/13 or so pre lim/transitional spots applied for. Is this typical at this point in the game?

How many pre-lim programs should you interview at in one city to safely match at one? are we talking 2-3 or 5+? thanks!

How many pre-lim programs should you interview at in one city to safely match at one? are we talking 2-3 or 5+? thanks!

Or how about as many as possible.

And where are there 5+ in one city?

I know these places may be a bit geographically everywhere, but I am having trouble finishing the middle of my list. The programs I am trying to arrange are Cornell, NYU, Michigan, Wash U, UW, and UPMC. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I know these places may be a bit geographically everywhere, but I am having trouble finishing the middle of my list. The programs I am trying to arrange are Cornell, NYU, Michigan, Wash U, UW, and UPMC. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I can't imagine what the top of your list looks like if that's the middle lol

Psai any input on those places? I genuinely posted this for guidance as you can see I do not post very often, only when I feel I can really help someone or I could really use the help. I would greatly appreciate any input! thanks in advance

I haven't heard interviewed there yet but of your middle list I understand wustl is probably the best. Others on the interview trail say it is heavily academically oriented supposedly on par with ucsf (which during my sf interview I actually felt like I was somewhat dissuaded from pursuing research now that I think about it).
Everyone says Cornell will carry you further nationally bit fellowships between Cornell and NYU seemed equivalent enough.

Did not apply to the rest so I can't help you there.