Applying for Anesthesiology Residency this cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Notfrankunderwood. How do you feel about a program not having a stand alone children's hospital? It seems to me people get whatever fellowships they want from most any of the well known programs, so I don't foresee that being an issue anywhere.

I'm not sure how much to factor location into all of this as well....

Members don't see this ad.

It's important you apply to 5-10 "backup" programs besides the elite ones. These 5-10 programs will ensure you match somewhere as opposed to only applying to the very best programs. While it is likely you will match at a top 10 program adding those extra 5-10 adds insurance.

1. Mt Sinai in NYC
2. Wake Forest
3. UVA
4. UNC
5. Miami

Geographically, you should be thinking ahead about where you want to practice post residency.
IMHO, as much as it pains me to say it the East Coast is the worst geographic region for this field.

Blade, would you mind commenting on the implications regarding the practice environment of the East Coast vs. other regions? I see some posters that indicate that the west coast is less rife with CRNA encroachment - is this largely what you are referring to with your statement?

Interested to hear what others' thoughts are regarding the Texas practice environment as well.

Appreciate any further comments.

Blade, would you mind commenting on the implications regarding the practice environment of the East Coast vs. other regions? I see some posters that indicate that the west coast is less rife with CRNA encroachment - is this largely what you are referring to with your statement?

Interested to hear what others' thoughts are regarding the Texas practice environment as well.

Appreciate any further comments.
I'll make this easy for you - it sucks everywhere.