Applying for DO schools in November

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kelsy05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently decided to apply for DO schools. I went to the AACOM website and checked out application deadlines. Some schools accept application up until April 2007 for the 2007 entering class.
So my question is: Will my chance of acceptance be lower or at a disadvantage if I apply now for the 2007 entering class??
I know that some schools send out acceptance letters in December for the next fall starting date.

Your input and insights are greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's getting to that time when it'll become more difficult but certainly not impossible. Many people have received acceptances so far, but most schools haven't filled even half their slots. That being said, you really have to get it goin' because it takes quite a long time to get everything submitted. Good luck!

It's getting to that time when it'll become more difficult but certainly not impossible. Many people have received acceptances so far, but most schools haven't filled even half their slots. That being said, you really have to get it goin' because it takes quite a long time to get everything submitted. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I recently decided to apply for DO schools. I went to the AACOM website and checked out application deadlines. Some schools accept application up until April 2007 for the 2007 entering class.
So my question is: Will my chance of acceptance be lower or at a disadvantage if I apply now for the 2007 entering class??
I know that some schools send out acceptance letters in December for the next fall starting date.

Id say if you have good stats, wait till next year. It takes atleast 4-6 weeks for aacomas to process, and then another wk for secondaries to come in (at the most) .. and you gotta have EVERYTHING READY AND GO (LORS, Responses to secondaries once received) ASAP!

Thus, i think its best to wait, apply early .. and you'll get in for sure if you have the good stats/ec's/interview etc b/c they truly are all about the complete package in their applicants/prospective students. save the bucks you'd spend on the app this yr for next yr .. and/or do somethin with it more immediately gratifying.

I disagree. the osteopathic admissions process is long. You're ok, but dont delay any longer. Get it done this week.

I disagree. the osteopathic admissions process is long. You're ok, but dont delay any longer. Get it done this week.

DRKUBA is right. Hurry up though!

Question...Did you decide to apply because you applied to allopathic schools and it is not looking so good or are you just applying late? If it is because you are not going to get accepted to an allopathic school then: 1) Don't reply "yes" to that question here because everyone will attack you:laugh: and 2) Make sure the schools don't think that is the case and make sure you have enough experience with osteopathic medicine so that they know you understand what it is. (The osteopathic schools REALLY don't like to think that they are only being applied to because you are an MD-reject.:D ) Either way it is getting kind of late to start your application now, because it takes so long to get everything processed. Certainly people who apply late will still have some sort of chance, but it is your decision whether or not you want to risk wasting the money. Of course, it is always a gamble whenever you apply and you are going to waste some money at some point. I spent a TON of money and then got accepted to one of my top choices after my first interview. I could have saved myself a lot of money if I knew that ahead of time! LOL! If you have a strong application, (good GPA, competitive MCAT, lots of ECs/DO shadowing, and good LORs) then you may want to go ahead and apply to some schools. But, I think a lot of schools already have interviews scheduled into January. If you applied at this very moment, you would probably not have you AACOMAS processed until the beginning of January because it takes 4-6 weeks (although it may be less at this point). Then the schools will send you their secondaries and you will probably not be complete until February. I don't know when the schools stop interviewing, but I think it is March or April, which doesn't give you a lot of time. If you are only a mediocre applicant, I don't think you have much of a chance at all. I have heard of a lot of people who were otherwise decent applicants who were rejected simply because they applied late. It is a coin toss and up to whether you want to take the chance. I hope everything works out for you. GOOD LUCK!:luck:

Hey there,

This is a little off topic. But I sent in my primary application on november 3 and my transcripts were all there by the 2nd of november. It hasnt been verified yet. My MCAT is a 23 and my GPA is 3.6. I also worked in a hospital for 2 years. I applied to VCOM and NSU-COM. Do I have a real shot at getting in or am I wasting my time. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Hey there,

This is a little off topic. But I sent in my primary application on november 3 and my transcripts were all there by the 2nd of november. It hasnt been verified yet. My MCAT is a 23 and my GPA is 3.6. I also worked in a hospital for 2 years. I applied to VCOM and NSU-COM. Do I have a real shot at getting in or am I wasting my time. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

It sounds like you already spent the money to apply, and since you are only applying to two schools, it won't cost too much more for the secondaries. At this point, rock the essay questions if those two schools require them, and cross your fingers for an interview!

Everyone on here is a self-selected bunch. People on here have that are answering have been on here for a while... thus, when you ask questions that sound like "is it too late" many will reply that it is, even though it isn't.

Your stats appear to be relatively competitive, although 2-3 points more on the MCAT would have made you a strong DO applicant. At this point, turn in those secondaries as soon as possible and make sure your LORs/committee letter are all lined up and sent out ASAP. If they get your committee LOR/Letters of Recommendation before your AACOMAS is verified, they will start a file for you anyway. I would call and notify them in advance if this is going to be the casee.

Best of luck! :luck:

And don' forget to create an mdapplicants.com profile (which you DO NOT have to link to on here like many do). It is completely anonymous but it is extremely helpful for those in the future who are starting toward the end of the application cycle. :thumbup:

Hey guys,

It is worth a shot if your stats are pretty decent. However, it is getting late.

The only way you are guaranteed not to get accepted is not to apply at all. Most schools that interview all the way into April save spots for people who interview late. I know a lot of people in my class who interviewed in February (like me) and March who got acceptances. The schools really have this down to a science. They know about how many people they will accept each month of the cycle. The other "qualified" candidates will go on the alternate (or wait) list. If you have really good stats, you have no less of a chance of being accepted in March than in October.

I applied in February 2006, got an interview in March 2006 at LECOM-Erie, was waitlisted, and then was accepted in May. It's definitely possible, just apply now! Don't wait so long like I did! :)

Id say if you have good stats, wait till next year. It takes atleast 4-6 weeks for aacomas to process, and then another wk for secondaries to come in (at the most) .. and you gotta have EVERYTHING READY AND GO (LORS, Responses to secondaries once received) ASAP!

Thus, i think its best to wait, apply early .. and you'll get in for sure if you have the good stats/ec's/interview etc b/c they truly are all about the complete package in their applicants/prospective students. save the bucks you'd spend on the app this yr for next yr .. and/or do somethin with it more immediately gratifying.

I disagree with all these posts saying to wait till next year. You can apply to a few schools, to conserve costs on secondaries, etc. By applying late, you might have a bit more difficult of a chance, as alot of students will have been accepted, but not all. You could get waitlisted and notified in April/May that you got in. The most important thing is that you do what you want to do. Just remember, you will be one year ahead of schedule if you brave applying late, cause you may have a great chance of getting in. I say go for it. Risk spending a few hundred bucks for that opportunity to get the ball rolling one year faster.:thumbup:

Waiting till next year is ridiculous, especially if you're a competitive applicant.. I'm not sure what you would lose by applying this year except money which is a lost cause in med school. you may not get your first choice but If you're just concerned w/ getting in, it is a no-brainer. for instance,

You think they're gonna let a 22/3.2 in over you just because they got their app in first?

Yes, the timing is important but by no means essential. I think i was finally complete as msucom (no intentions of going here at the time) in december, was accepted a couple weeks later, and here i am.

but my school is a little wierd.

Hey future docs,

Thank you very much for your insights. I decided to appy now for next year entering class. I'm almost done with my application. Now I've come to the part where I have to pick out a list of schools. Does anyone know which schools are MCAT friendly and have the reputation of accepting students late??

Thank you again!