Applying for Loan Online or In Person

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pacman8794

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot on this forum that Discover is good w/ student loans. When is the right time to apply for the student loan since classes start in late August? Also, to apply for a loan w/ Discover can it only be done online or can I go to my bank and do it there? I'm just not sure if it would be wiser to apply online or to do it in person through my bank. I don't like giving so much personal information online; I'm wary about that. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You can only apply online as far as I know. Keep in mind that your FA office has to tell you when you are ready to apply. They have to give you a FA package first. Also, your school may only have direct loans from the federal government in which case you won't have a lender.

As for your problem with giving personal information online, where do you think your information is stored even if you give them a paper copy? On computer servers. Unfortunately, that's just the way things are. All you can do is just make sure your computer and internet connection is secure.