Applying for Medical School and Master's Unfinished Degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlaqandAznLuv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI!

I have my bachelor's in Biochemistry but I am not pleased with my GPA (3.3) so I decided to go for my Master's. I registered for the Spring of 2008 and it was my first semester. I got a 4.0 and I am pleased with it and that's how I want it to stay. I want to apply this coming fall to medical school even though I will graduate next spring. I don't want to graduate next spring, apply in the fall and wait another year to see if I got into medical school or not. Would medical schools accept my grades, even though I am not finished with my Master's degree? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

HI!

I have my bachelor's in Biochemistry but I am not pleased with my GPA (3.3) so I decided to go for my Master's. I registered for the Spring of 2008 and it was my first semester. I got a 4.0 and I am pleased with it and that's how I want it to stay. I want to apply this coming fall to medical school even though I will graduate next spring. I don't want to graduate next spring, apply in the fall and wait another year to see if I got into medical school or not. Would medical schools accept my grades, even though I am not finished with my Master's degree? :confused:

They will look at the grades you have attained thus far. If you get in, the offer will most likely be contingent upon you actually completing the degree.

They will look at the grades you have attained thus far. If you get in, the offer will most likely be contingent upon you actually completing the degree.

Oh, I actually will finish the degree (It would be dumb not to,lol). Would I just have to update my grades often?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, keep in mind that most med schools will not substitute your undergrad grades with your grad school grades. So your 3.3 will probably stay just as it is, although some schools will consider your overall education (grad school included). Did you consider taking undergrad courses to bring that 3.3 up because most matriculants have a 3.6 min as undergrads?

Also, keep in mind that most med schools will not substitute your undergrad grades with your grad school grades. So your 3.3 will probably stay just as it is, although some schools will consider your overall education (grad school included). Did you consider taking undergrad courses to bring that 3.3 up because most matriculants have a 3.6 min as undergrads?

No,no that's not what I'm asking. I thought medical schools look at the last degree you gain? So if a get a 4.0 in my master's, they will look at that and the undergraduate later. But based upon Master's mainly.

From what I remember, your undergraduate GPA is mainly what they look at. So graduate work doesn't get included in that GPA. However they will see all your grades. But if they have some kind of hard GPA cutoff, you may not get past it unfortunately.

From what I remember, your undergraduate GPA is mainly what they look at. So graduate work doesn't get included in that GPA. However they will see all your grades. But if they have some kind of hard GPA cutoff, you may not get past it unfortunately.

+Bangs head against the wall+

nooo, I did not mean that at all. Let me explain this slowly and break it down to what I am saying.

I never said do medical schools conglomerate both my undergraduate and graduate grade. I said, I've graduated with a bachelor's in biology and got a 3.3. I was not please with the grade. Stop right there! So, I am doing the Master's program. I have a 4.0 for the semester. I said, "I want to apply this coming fall to medical school ( then I will attend fall 2010) even though I will graduate next spring. I don't want to graduate next spring, apply in the fall and wait another year to see if I got into medical school or not. Would medical schools accept my grades, even though I am not finished with my Master's degree?". Would they still look at my Master's grades? Do I have to graduate from the Master's program in order for me to start applying for medical school in the fall, even though I only have one semester of grades and will graduate next spring? Not trying to be mean but, tex05 I'm kinda leaning towards tex05's answer because it applies to what I mean. Thanks for your answers everyone else so far and sorry if I confused you. Understand??

OK, your question is kind of confusing but here's MY situation and maybe it'll help YOU:

1. I graduated with a bachelor's in '07. GPA 3.7.
2. I am in the middle of a master's degree (end of first year). GPA thus far: 4.0. Will graduate in '09. I AM APPLYING RIGHT NOW.

Medical schools look at ALL of the above. Master's degrees count for significantly less than bachelor's degree. Always have, always will. They want to see your UG grades, man. A master's degree, finished or not doesn't count for much.

With or WITHOUT a complete master's degree, they still care a LOT more about your bachelor's degree. I don't know WHY you think a master's degree somehow replaces a bachelor's. It DOESN'T. Far from it.

As one person said: "They hand out 4.0's like candy on Halloween." [re: master's degrees]

Last edited:
OK, your question is kind of confusing but here's MY situation and maybe it'll help YOU:

1. I graduated with a bachelor's in '07. GPA 3.7.
2. I am in the middle of a master's degree (end of first year). GPA thus far: 4.0. Will graduate in '09. I AM APPLYING RIGHT NOW.

Medical schools look at ALL of the above. Master's degree counts for significantly less than bachelor's degree. Always has, always will. They want to see your UG grades, man.

With or WITHOUT a complete master's degree, they still care a LOT more about your bachelor's degree. I don't know WHY you think a master's degree somehow replaces a bachelor's. It DOESN'T. Far from it.

As one person said: "They hand out 4.0's like candy on Halloween." [re: master's degrees]

I'VE NEVER SAID UNDERGRADUATE REPLACES MY GRADES NOR DID I SAY WHAT WEIGHS MORE! I SAID WILL MEDICAL SCHOOLS LOOK AT MY MASTER'S GRADES IF I APPLY TO MEDICAL SCHOOL WITHOUT GRADUATING WITH MY MASTER'S THIS FALL!! I GRADUATE NEXT SPRING! THAT'S IT!! NOTHING ELSE! THAT'S MY QUESTION.

Master's degree counts for significantly less than bachelor's degree. Always has, always will. They want to see your UG grades, man.
I kinda disagree because my friend did poorly in her undergraduate work (she got rejected from a lot of medical schools too), did her Master's, got a higher grade and got in medical school.

I kinda disagree because my friend did poorly in her undergraduate work (she got rejected from a lot of medical schools too), did her Master's, got a higher grade and got in medical school.

I know you disagree. We'll just agree to disagree, I guess. A case study of 1 person is not very convincing, even if it's more examples than I've provided.

*I use the word replaces in the sense that a master's degree will never replace the importance of a bachelor's degree. I didn't mean that your bachelor's would not show up on your AMCAS app.

I know you disagree. We'll just agree to disagree, I guess. A case study of 1 person is not very convincing, even if it's more examples than I've provided.

*I use the word replaces in the sense that a master's degree will never replace the importance of a bachelor's degree. I didn't mean that your bachelor's would not show up on your AMCAS app.

But you can't even answer a simple question as mines and you still didn't. Okay, I'm going to stop because my question is not being answered and I will look somewhere else. Thanks.

I'VE NEVER SAID UNDERGRADUATE REPLACES MY GRADES NOR DID I SAY WHAT WEIGHS MORE! I SAID WILL MEDICAL SCHOOLS LOOK AT MY MASTER'S GRADES IF I APPLY TO MEDICAL SCHOOL WITHOUT GRADUATING WITH MY MASTER'S THIS FALL!! I GRADUATE NEXT SPRING! THAT'S IT!! NOTHING ELSE! THAT'S MY QUESTION.

They will look at all your grades. Whatever grades you have, they will look at. The end.

They will look at all your grades. Whatever grades you have, they will look at. The end.

Okay. Okay, so they will accept my one semester worth of grades for my Masters I guess. So do I have to submit my other grades later since I am going to apply to medical school this fall and graduate with my Masters this coming Spring?

Members don't see this ad :)
So your question is: will medical schools accept your grades from future semesters in grad school? e.g. the ones in fall and spring? Is that what you mean?

[Sorry, I'm incredibly fascinated at this point.]

Okay. Okay, so they will accept my one semester worth of grades for my Masters I guess. So do I have to submit my other grades later since I am going to apply to medical school this fall and graduate with my Masters this coming Spring?

That is usually a strategic decision based upon your situation. If you end up doing really well in the Fall after you submit your med school applications, then you might want to send it in to the schools (and it is to the schools, AMCAS does not take care of it at this point) to remind them of what a hot prospect they have on their hands. If you don't improve the overall picture much with your Fall grades or maybe do less than well, then you can send nothing until after they have (potentially) accepted you.

Either way, it will most likely not make a huge difference at that point. If you are applying to Texas public schools, you will be required to send in your Fall grades. AMCAS however does not have that requirement.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes, you need to update all the med schools you are applying to with your other grades later as they become available. You can send update letters to each school until an official transcript becomes available. I know people that even sent updates based on recent test scores to let schools know how they were progressing in classes they took after sending in the application.
Also, you said you're applying this Fall (Fall 2008), to get into school next year (Fall 2009), right? Because on an earlier post you said 2010, which makes no sense. The other thing is calm the hell down OP! If anyone was confused with your question, those typos certainly don't help, so relax and restate the question.

Yes, you need to update all the med schools you are applying to with your other grades later as they become available. You can send update letters to each school until an official transcript becomes available. I know people that even sent updates based on recent test scores to let schools know how they were progressing in classes they took after sending in the application.
Also, you said you're applying this Fall (Fall 2008), to get into school next year (Fall 2009), right? Because on an earlier post you said 2010, which makes no sense. The other thing is calm the hell down OP! If anyone was confused with your question, those typos certainly don't help, so relax and restate the question.

those typos certainly don't help, so relax and restate the question

Thanks for not reading some of my past post. I have restated the question and only made one "typo" not "typos" (2010). How do you get a typo from words I did not state in the first place? That makes no sense. For example, I never stated that medical schools will not look at undergraduate grades. I have no idea who brought that nonsense up.

The other thing is calm the hell down OP!
Wow, was that even necessary? Your no better.

Great, thank you for the answer.

That is usually a strategic decision based upon your situation. If you end up doing really well in the Fall after you submit your med school applications, then you might want to send it in to the schools (and it is to the schools, AMCAS does not take care of it at this point) to remind them of what a hot prospect they have on their hands. If you don't improve the overall picture much with your Fall grades or maybe do less than well, then you can send nothing until after they have (potentially) accepted you.

Either way, it will most likely not make a huge difference at that point. If you are applying to Texas public schools, you will be required to send in your Fall grades. AMCAS however does not have that requirement.

Thank you! ^^

All right people, calm down! If I understood what you asked, then the answer would be: yes med school will look at your grad school grades. Also there is a high probability (if not 100%) that the school you get into will ask to see that you graduated from the master's program i.e. your final grades.

I hope that helped!:cool:

All right people, calm down! If I understood what you asked, then the answer would be: yes med school will look at your grad school grades. Also there is a high probability (if not 100%) that the school you get into will ask to see that you graduated from the master's program i.e. your final grades.

I hope that helped!:cool:

Yeah, I'm sorry I realized I went to far and did not have to yell.

That helped a lot.

Okay, if I do submit my grades, how do they go about calculating everything? I'm doing my master's in biological sciences. Would they separate Master's grades and undergraduate grades??

The grades will not necessarily be separated since they show up in chronological order on the application. So schools will see undergrad grades followed by grad grades last. But the GPA's will be separated on the application as on one line they will see the undergrad cumul gpa and on another the grad gpa. It will be up to them to consider them toghether or separately.

I don't know if anybody has brought this up to you, but check to see if actually obtaining your Masters is expected for whatever medical school you end up being accepted at.

The grades will not necessarily be separated since they show up in chronological order on the application. So schools will see undergrad grades followed by grad grades last. But the GPA's will be separated on the application as on one line they will see the undergrad cumul gpa and on another the grad gpa. It will be up to them to consider them toghether or separately.

Is it true that they look at certain science grades? There's a course classification list and I saw the word "biology" which could mean any biology. I took Immunology, Neurophysiology, Cancer Biology, and Mechanism of Aging. Then saying "they "ook at ALL your science grades" is not true to a certain extent?

Is it true that they look at certain science grades? There's a course classification list and I saw the word "biology" which could mean any biology. I took Immunology, Neurophysiology, Cancer Biology, and Mechanism of Aging. Then saying "they "ook at ALL your science grades" is not true to a certain extent?

Never said anything about 'science' grades as I do not know what emphasis each individual school places on any particular 'science' course. I would rather say that once you meet the course requirements schools may end up looking at one's breath and depth of knowledge in order to compare applicants. In other words, it can be very subjective among schools once you pass the general requirements threshold.:D

i mean at this point, it is dependent on school right? like they will look at your AMCAS-calculated BCPM (which would include all of your undergraduate science grades in the BCPM courses) and your overall GPA. Your Master's grades will NOT be calculated with your AMCAS BCPM nor your AMCAS overall GPA.

To ask what they will specifically look at beyond that is really dependent on the school I would think. But we could probably make some reasonable assumptions like if you made a bunch of A's in graduate level biology courses...thats probably a good thing. Also, if you made a bunch of A's in your senior-level college science/bio classes...thats probably also a good thing. so the overall reasonable assumption given what we can't know from not sitting on the admissions committees is: more A's -> more good.

plus its kind of a waste of time to worry about how they will look at grades you've already made. those can't change.

HI!

Isn't isn't very likely that your grades in graduate school will have much influence on your acceptance into medical school. Graduate students are expected to do very well thus your 4.0 isn't that impressive. Also graduate school GPA isn't weighted the same as your undergraduate GPA (weighted about the same as an extracurricular activity). A better strategy for you would be to do some postbacc work which would help raise that uGPA to a more competitive level. At the two medical schools that I serve on admission committees, you likely would not make the cut in terms of uGPA and not completing your graduate degree would likely be a "death blow". Graduate school with the exception of SMPs (with a very strong performs) are not enhancement for admission into medical school.

Graduate students are expected to do very well thus your 4.0 isn't that impressive.

Wow, bitter much? I don't believe that. I know tons of graduates who do not have a 4.0. Thus, my 4.0 is impressive.

A better strategy for you would be to do some postbacc work which would help raise that uGPA to a more competitive level. At the two medical schools that I serve on admission committees, you likely would not make the cut in terms of uGPA and not completing your graduate degree would likely be a "death blow". Graduate school with the exception of SMPs (with a very strong performs) are not enhancement for admission into medical school.
What medical schools are those? Probably the ones I'm not going to apply to (probably those IVY league ones). Well, then how come some my sister, who has a high GPA, and really good MCAT score, never made the cut of getting into medical school? Better yet, not even getting an interview. So I think it depends on what school you apply to anyways. Then again, I've too have friends who have parents who serve in the admission committee and they told me that a MASTER'S or doing POSTBACC could help me inprove my chances of getting into medical school, hence also Master's. Your not convincing me sorry.

i mean at this point, it is dependent on school right? like they will look at your AMCAS-calculated BCPM (which would include all of your undergraduate science grades in the BCPM courses) and your overall GPA. Your Master's grades will NOT be calculated with your AMCAS BCPM nor your AMCAS overall GPA.
Well, which one is it? I'm being ask like soooo many different answers from sooo many different people.

To ask what they will specifically look at beyond that is really dependent on the school I would think. But we could probably make some reasonable assumptions like if you made a bunch of A's in graduate level biology courses...thats probably a good thing. Also, if you made a bunch of A's in your senior-level college science/bio classes...thats probably also a good thing. so the overall reasonable assumption given what we can't know from not sitting on the admissions committees is: more A's -> more good.
Okay good.

plus its kind of a waste of time to worry about how they will look at grades you've already made. those can't change.
True, but, which science grades count? I have to fill out the forms eventually and I have to make sure the sciences I put down are going to be considered BCPM courses.

I don't know if anybody has brought this up to you, but check to see if actually obtaining your Masters is expected for whatever medical school you end up being accepted at.
I'm not just applying for a Master's when it comes to medical school. I also want a Master's because a lot of the jobs where I live require at least a Master's. Oh yeah! One medical school I am applying stated that majority of the applicants who are accepted has their Master's. Thanks for reminding me.

Wow, bitter much? I don't believe that. I know tons of graduates who do not have a 4.0. Thus, my 4.0 is impressive.

What medical schools are those? Probably the ones I'm not going to apply to (probably those IVY league ones). Well, then how come some my sister, who has a high GPA, and really good MCAT score, never made the cut of getting into medical school? Better yet, not even getting an interview. So I think it depends on what school you apply to anyways. Then again, I've too have friends who have parents who serve in the admission committee and they told me that a MASTER'S or doing POSTBACC could help me inprove my chances of getting into medical school, hence also Master's. Your not convincing me sorry.

Well, which one is it? I'm being ask like soooo many different answers from sooo many different people.

Okay good.

True, but, which science grades count? I have to fill out the forms eventually and I have to make sure the sciences I put down are going to be considered BCPM courses.

I'm not just applying for a Master's when it comes to medical school. I also want a Master's because a lot of the jobs where I live require at least a Master's. Oh yeah! One medical school I am applying stated that majority of the applicants who are accepted has their Master's. Thanks for reminding me.

Why are you asking for advice if you're not going to take it?

Also: Did seriously you just ask an ADCOM if s/he was bitter about your 4.0?

Also: Did seriously you just ask an ADCOM if s/he was bitter about your 4.0?
Noooooo, I was responding to how she/he answered, in such a bitter tone.

Why are you asking for advice if you're not going to take it?
Well, the advice has to be correct and what I asked for. There are some, not all, post here that actually have answered my question while others are giving me advice in which I've never asked for in the first place. So the ones who have answered my question, I am actually taking it, and if you would of read the last few post you would of knew I was agreeing and thanking those people. Okay, well I think it's time to stop. Thanks for your replies. I think I understand what I am suppose to do when it comes to applying in the fall. I will just have to see what happens.

Graduate programs are very different from undergrad programs. The grad students in my lab told me grad schools are basically pass/fail where A is pass and students get C's for failing. And I don't think this is too far from many other graduate programs as they usually require a B average to stay in the grad program.

In anycase, its only fair to compare a standard that everyone has. IMO getting high grades in grad school does not matter, you should try getting high grades in undergrad classes and boost up your bachelor gpa

I have to say that not all graduate schools are as easy as everybody who hasn't gone to one says they are. As a recent grad school graduate from a medical school (yes some med schools have grad programs) my program was not easy, especially while having three jobs and volunteering. I understand your initial question, since all subsequent posts seem to be mostly bickering, and will just answer that and give some other points.

"Would medical schools accept my grades, even though I am not finished with my Master's degree?"

YES, they will want to see your grades. However, you are at a disadvantage if you apply now since ALL the schools will wait to see your fall grades. That means that you will be considered starting in January, unless you are extremely exceptional. Also do not make the mistake of thinking that MD is your only choice, apply to DO schools now. This way if you don't get into an MD school you have a backup if you don't want to have a lag year. Also, think about applying to offshore schools. Why cut your options short? If you apply to all three types (md, do, offshore) then you will at least have some options, it takes a great deal of maturity to realize that a doctor is a doctor regardless of the path.

Also understand that a post bac is much better then a graduate education, as stupid as that sounds. I would much rather get a masters degree then a post bac, and in fact some doctors obtain masters degrees after their md. The reason that the post bac is better is it can be used to boost your undergrad GPA while a graduate degree is separate from your undergrad GPA. If you want to supplement your undergrad grades with your master's GPA then fine. It actually does not matter since you are in a masters program. If it were brought to both our attention before we went to graduate school then it would be relevant to talk about it.

So remember, your:

AMCAS application will not be considered until Jan, that's after the regular applicants, as well as after the people taking the MCAT this Aug apply. This is very detrimental, unless your 1. exceptional or 2. connected via family/friend to a med school

AACOMAS will be considered on regular time.
Offshore will also be considered normally if not ahead of time.

I do not agree with the generalizing comments of how graduate school is easy, and that As are passed out like token prizes. While it is true that graduate school, especially at the higher ups, are full of grade inflation, its certainly not the case at all schools. The professors of my molecular biology class purposely failed about half of the class each year by making the average the cutoff. For some reason, they were also very adamant about not giving out 4.0s, about 2-3 for a class of 90 each year. Other teachers in my other classes had similar policies.

I also believe that some medical school admission committees have this attitude as well, essentially disregarding how well students do grade-wise during a Masters program, assuming all those 4.0s (or high grades) were free passes. This is why I feel my Masters degree actually hurt me more than it helped me applying to MD/PhD programs.

It's totally true -- not all grad programs are the same. Nevertheless...there are a NUMBER of 4.0-giving grad programs that I'm aware of.

...Reality check to pre-allo, paging reality check to pre-allo....

Your grades aren't going to matter once your charming personality comes out in the interview.

Now, in all seriousness...
Calm down. You are new here. You obviously, and I don't mean this cruelly, know very little about the admissions process. Stop jumping on mods and others who have 10+ years of experience in this process for 'being mean'. This, my friend, is just the beginning.

edit for completion, whoa, what's your beef with the Ivy league? My apologies on behalf of 250 years of tradition.

I have to say that not all graduate schools are as easy as everybody who hasn't gone to one says they are. As a recent grad school graduate from a medical school (yes some med schools have grad programs) my program was not easy, especially while having three jobs and volunteering. I understand your initial question, since all subsequent posts seem to be mostly bickering, and will just answer that and give some other points.

"Would medical schools accept my grades, even though I am not finished with my Master's degree?"

YES, they will want to see your grades. However, you are at a disadvantage if you apply now since ALL the schools will wait to see your fall grades. That means that you will be considered starting in January, unless you are extremely exceptional. Also do not make the mistake of thinking that MD is your only choice, apply to DO schools now. This way if you don't get into an MD school you have a backup if you don't want to have a lag year. Also, think about applying to offshore schools. Why cut your options short? If you apply to all three types (md, do, offshore) then you will at least have some options, it takes a great deal of maturity to realize that a doctor is a doctor regardless of the path.

Also understand that a post bac is much better then a graduate education, as stupid as that sounds. I would much rather get a masters degree then a post bac, and in fact some doctors obtain masters degrees after their md. The reason that the post bac is better is it can be used to boost your undergrad GPA while a graduate degree is separate from your undergrad GPA. If you want to supplement your undergrad grades with your master's GPA then fine. It actually does not matter since you are in a masters program. If it were brought to both our attention before we went to graduate school then it would be relevant to talk about it.

So remember, your:

AMCAS application will not be considered until Jan, that’s after the regular applicants, as well as after the people taking the MCAT this Aug apply. This is very detrimental, unless your 1. exceptional or 2. connected via family/friend to a med school

AACOMAS will be considered on regular time.
Offshore will also be considered normally if not ahead of time.

Why wouldn't the AMCAS be considered until Jan for them? Is that true of all masters students? Or is that because schools would want to see more than 1 semester of graduate grades? I am applying after my 1st year in a 2 year masters, and I hope my application doesn't get put off until Jan because I have been working hard to get it finished early.

Yes they will wait until after your fall grades, they want to see more then one semester of grades. I did the same thing you are doing, and the advice I would give you is to rush to finish everything on the amcas application except the personal essay. Spend a lot of time on the essay, and definately give it to at least 3 people that are on a committee or that know about the admissions process. Just having someone read it is not enough they should be able to tell you what to focus on and how to improve the essay in terms of getting the interview. If you are planning on taking the MCAT don't rush the application, it definately wont matter. Either way you have time and it would be wasteful to rush to finish (ESPECIALLY THE ESSAY). The essay is the main thing you should focus on and remember to ADDRESS the issues you need to address and explain why medicine is for you. Also try to show that you are dedicated, after all, you are taking more classes to further prepare you. Remember the essay is important, more important then most of us know.

Edit: once the schools get your amcas application they will automatically send the secondary, you'll fill it out and send it to them and only after your second semester grades are reported will they look at all of your applications together.

Altogether, keep in mind that you have to finish both the primary (amcas) and secondary applications before your second semester grades are out.

Yes they will wait until after your fall grades, they want to see more then one semester of grades. I did the same thing you are doing, and the advice I would give you is to rush to finish everything on the amcas application except the personal essay. Spend a lot of time on the essay, and definately give it to at least 3 people that are on a committee or that know about the admissions process. Just having someone read it is not enough they should be able to tell you what to focus on and how to improve the essay in terms of getting the interview. If you are planning on taking the MCAT don't rush the application, it definately wont matter. Either way you have time and it would be wasteful to rush to finish (ESPECIALLY THE ESSAY). The essay is the main thing you should focus on and remember to ADDRESS the issues you need to address and explain why medicine is for you. Also try to show that you are dedicated, after all, you are taking more classes to further prepare you. Remember the essay is important, more important then most of us know.

Edit: once the schools get your amcas application they will automatically send the secondary, you'll fill it out and send it to them and only after your second semester grades are reported will they look at all of your applications together.

Altogether, keep in mind that you have to finish both the primary (amcas) and secondary applications before your second semester grades are out.

Okay, but what if I already have 2 semesters worth of graduate grades (Fall 07, Spring 08) and made it clear that I am finishing next spring? Are they still going to wait to review my whole application or offer interviews until they see my fall graduate grades? That doesn't make any sense to me, I don't see how I am different then a Junior undergraduate applying with a year left to finish.

What medical schools?