applying for more than one specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WnderWmn10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my dilema.

I have always been interested in Neuro, but I won't be able to do a rotation until September, to see if I like it. Otherwise, I am thinking of going into FP or Psychiatry.

So I am thinking I am going to have to apply to Neuro AND FP/Psych (I'll have to chose between these two soon), and write two personal statements, etc. Or do I went til after I have my neuro rotaiton to decide what I want to do and then submit my ERAS application? Sorry, my school provides no direction when it comes to this stuff. I appreciate all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

So here's my dilema.

I have always been interested in Neuro, but I won't be able to do a rotation until September, to see if I like it. Otherwise, I am thinking of going into FP or Psychiatry.

So I am thinking I am going to have to apply to Neuro AND FP/Psych (I'll have to chose between these two soon), and write two personal statements, etc. Or do I went til after I have my neuro rotaiton to decide what I want to do and then submit my ERAS application? Sorry, my school provides no direction when it comes to this stuff. I appreciate all your help.

You can submit ERAS and write as many PS's as you want, and they just sit there unless you designate programs to which they are submitted. So no downside to writing multiple versions and putting them on ERAS; nobody sees them unless you want them to. But I would really try to get a neuro rotation earlier because (1) you won't know if you like it, (2) you are going to need a LOR from a neuro attending or chairman, and (3) neuro PDs are going to want to see your evals from your neuro rotation in your dean's letter, and (4) a PS is probably stronger if you can explain why you want to do neuro and give examples of things you did on the rotation.

I'd be concerned that if you have it in September, you won't have a grade until November, might not have an LOR on the system by then, and maybe even a bit longer for it to filter into an updated dean's letter. So that's cutting it really close since the first bunch of interviews this past year in some specialties started at the end of October.