Applying for next year in South Atlantic: Need your suggestions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brain_Doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Mayo is a good program in a pretty not good city. I know several people who have come out of there and gone on to great things. And Meschia is a great guy.

I heard same about Mayo. But again its tough to get in. Same applies to Emory.

UF- Gainesville used to be big name, but a lot of (at least 2-3) resident dropped out of it just in a year. Lot of complains of poor work conditions and malignancy.
USF-Tampa is nice place to live. They have nice facility as well. But haven't heard a lot about it in terms of 'work-educational balance, culture and potential malignant elements.' May be someone in forum can help.
Miami- Jackson Memorial is in once again in nice place to live. It had reputation which UF has now. However they have substantially increased resident numbers and work conditions have improved a lot in recent years.
Good luck for match season!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
UF-gville appears malignant, nice facilities
USF tampa seems like a nice place, nicer facilities
UF-Jax has a great culture and is stroke heavy
Mayo-Jax - the name, facilities, didactics; less stroke
CCF - small program
Miami - very busy

i have lived in Jacksonville and have no complaints. My wife and I would consider living and raising our 2 kids there.

Tampa's a newer program, improving every year. The hospital has its campus on its own island. Location is great. Academics-wise, is not as big a Mayo, Miami, Emory, but tends to have decent sub-specialty representation. Seemed to have a relatively relaxed schedule compared to the academic powerhouse programs.

If you're considering an academic career or a competitive fellowship placement, you should try your best to go to Mayo, Miami, or Emory.

Regarding the ones I've seen or know people at:
Mayo-Jax: good program, very teaching heavy, they emphasize the continuity with big Mayo, low cost of living
UF-Gainesville: strange place, lots of red flags from both residents and program leadership, only program I ever considered not ranking
Miami: big urban program, busy, you either love the city or despise it, nobody can deny they have some very strong faculty
USF: seemed pretty chill but bizarre program culture and administration, was genuinely frightened by the person they had setting up the interviews

As for Georgia, I only know Emory but it was one of my favorite places I saw. Very busy (like Miami) but a much more friendly culture.

UF-gville appears malignant, nice facilities
USF tampa seems like a nice place, nicer facilities
UF-Jax has a great culture and is stroke heavy
Mayo-Jax - the name, facilities, didactics; less stroke
CCF - small program
Miami - very busy

i have lived in Jacksonville and have no complaints. My wife and I would consider living and raising our 2 kids there.

Do u know anything about the UF Jax stroke fellowship? Was considering interviewing there next year but doesnt seem like it has any fellows at the moment

Do u know anything about the UF Jax stroke fellowship? Was considering interviewing there next year but doesnt seem like it has any fellows at the moment
they have 2 stroke fellows for 2015 and 2 for 2016
its been open for however long, but they did not really start recruiting until 1 cycle ago

OP, dont just take our word for it (gville malignancy), but I would IV at UF-gville and Jax too