Suggestions for headache resources for non-neurologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clausewitz2

Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as a psychiatrist I find the treatment of headache kind of fascinating. Based on the medications y'all use and how you use them it seems like bizarro world psychiatry in many respects. So many familiar names, but doing strange things. Also, migraines and chronic headaches of all sorts are super common among my patients, and, like sleep, doing something about someone's migraine is a way to get buy-in for people who otherwise don't necessarily agree that they should be seeing you when the problem is obviously the Soviet microwave transmitter in their brainstem.

While I'm not neuro illiterate (my PhD was neuroimaging based and I have a clinical neuroradiology publication, did everything a med student would do to match neurology until a pretty late date, rotated for a day a week a year embedded in an academic epilepsy clinic), I do not pretend to be a neurologist and I recognize being evaluated by one at least once is the gold standard here. In my neck of the woods, though, I could not get anyone a general neurology outpatient appointment for love of money this calendar year right now, and our local academic headache clinic is booking out to March. For people who have had very classic headache syndromes for years with similar quality and intensity the whole time, have a strong family history of migraines, and have no obvious red flags for something emergent or urgent happening neurologically, waiting multiple months for treatment of any kind seems less than ideal.

This, I am interested in recommendations for texts, papers etc for treatment of clearly delineated primary headache syndromes for people who are waiting to see neuro or have been given their benediction. I have access to UpToDate etc etc but would like to expand my knowledge of the established armamentarium and especially clinical lore/subtle considerations about how to choose and adjust these therapies. Don't worry, I'm not going near anything injectable, insurance would just laugh and laugh if I were to try.

Any suggestions? Again, if a resource leans more art/received wisdom than RCT, that's fine.

Thanks in advance and hope this is not too presumptuous.

EDIT: I am an outpatient psych attending and have been out of residency too long for a fellowship to be in the cards.

Members don't see this ad.

The Cleveland Clinic Manual of Headache Therapy is a book I used in residency. The book is older and does not include some of the newer medications (e.g., CGRP inhibitors, gepants, ditans) but still gives a very good overview of headache disorders and treatments. Use of the newer medications is more so deterred by insurance requirements, and there could be expanding indications for newer medications (e.g., rimegepant originally for acute treatment but now can be used for preventive), so certainly could be difficult to keep up if you don't prescribe these medications regularly.

I also used this website https://ichd-3.org/ early on in residency. This is International Classification of Headache Disorders which are more for research purposes but can also be used as diagnostic criteria. There are several primary headache disorders that are quite similar to each other, and taking a look at the bullet-point form of classification was very helpful for me to differentiate/diagnose them.

Reactions: 2 users