Applying for the hell of it?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ditwee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK,
This isn't exactly like it sounds. Let me explain. I've already applied twice before to med school (this was my second year and I had one interview which resulted in a wait-list). Anyway, I have a 3.52/26Q (11V is the only high point!), med. missions experience, the usual volunteer/ECs, and pretty solid recs. The first year, my MCATs were lost until late February so I feel like it hurt my chances for admission. The second time around, I guess I just wasn't a strong enough applicant. Both years, though, I applied late (late August). It's been my inclination to study my ass off and raise that MCAT score in order to have a better shot at admissions. I've decided that I want to wait for the April MCAT to give myself ample time to study and to actually apply early/on time for that year. However, this means taking a year off from applying while I enact my study hard/volunteer/research plan. But, my parents are pressuring me to go ahead and apply again this coming year (this will make the 3rd time) with the same stats (the only difference is one year of work as a phlebotomist) to a variety of schools I haven't applied to before (and that I might have a better shot at). I have the feeling that this is unwise and a waste of money as I haven't done a lot to improve my application. But, I'm open to suggestion. Any thoughts on whether I should just apply again now for the hell of it?!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say wait. That 26 is definitely hurting you. And I think some schools only allow you to apply 3 times. I don't get why your parents are pressuring you to do this. I'm with you -- it's likely to be a waste of time and money.

If you are going to apply a 3rd time, I think you should give it your best shot. Taking the April MCAT and improving your ECs over the next year, and then applying early will help you out. It is not very wise to reapply without addressing the reasons you didn't get in the year before. On the other hand, if you are very anxious, you can try to kick a$$ on the MCAT this August and just apply for 2003 matriculation. But IMO, I think the first option was the best one. :)

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd totally study again for the MCATs before applying a third time.

Your plan is definately superior to that of your parents.

Yo, Ditwee. I was out of it when you called me last night. I vaguely remember what was said. Sorry...it was graduation weekend, I was packing, etc, etc, etc (totally exhausting and regularly intoxicating :wink: ). Give me a ring again sometime before I head out on the 11th.

Retake MCAT!!!

Good luck and don't listen to your parents on this matter :wink: