This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fisherjpham

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first forum post so forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I need some advice regarding applications. For context, I am going to be a junior this fall. I originally was going to just take the DAT this year (which is about a week from now) and apply next cycle. However, I recently have been considering applying this cycle, despite originally planning to graduate in 2023. I had been advised to do that by my parents and a dentist that I volunteer with, since the application fee would be totally worth it if I were to get in a year earlier than most students in my year.

I am still working out the details in making sure I can get my last prereq in before next year (microbiology). I am also trying to get my university to let me graduate this year, while letting me come back for a 4th year to use up my scholarships, earn my minors, and do some academic year research, in the event that I do not get accepted. Whether or not I get my bachelor's, I will most likely get my last prereq done and I will have 130+ credits completed.

Here's my main dilemma: I don't know if being a reapplicant next year would hurt my chances. If I can apply and get in, that's great. But I don't want to apply and risk hurting my chances for next year. By next year, I will have a more well-rounded application, with research, more volunteering hours, and more science classes. My application this year would be fairly competitive, but not at the level it would be next year. If I were to apply this year and be rejected, would it in any way hurt my chances for applying next year?

Here are my stats for reference:
3.99 cGPA+sGPA
250+ volunteering hours + radiography certified soon
No research experience yet (was planning on it for summer of '22)
Hoping for a 25+ DAT (will find out next week)

(edit: got a 28AA/30TS/24PAT on my DAT yesterday)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nah, just go ahead and apply. It won't hurt if you are a reapplicant. I'm not sure if the schools will even know. Maybe they will. But who cares. You have great stats. A lot of schools require a bachelors degree. So if you can finish your degree somehow before dental school starts, then do it. Otherwise, I would find out if the school(s) you want to go to require a bachelor's degree or not. If they do require a degree, and you can't finish your degree in time you may be wasting your time/money.

Reactions: 1 users
I did this exactly and got in to dental school at 19.

My caveat was I ended up overloading credits my junior year so I still finished my BS.

Go for it, you have everything to gain if it works out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok great job on your DAT. Apply to the most competitive schools in the nation (aka the cheapest ones). You'll be competitive even in the texas schools if you are out of state. You won't need to finish college with those stats probably lol

Ok great job on your DAT. Apply to the most competitive schools in the nation (aka the cheapest ones). You'll be competitive even in the texas schools if you are out of state. You won't need to finish college with those stats probably lol
The current plan is to apply to my top choices this year, get a BS after my third year (I managed to cram the requirements in), and if I don't get in then I'll use my fourth year of scholarships to do classes/research/get another minor before applying again. Thank you for your advice! I'm feeling good about my chances!

If you're ready to move on from college and get started with dental school, I would say to go ahead and apply. With your stats, you will definitely be a competitive applicant so even if you didn't get in by some random chance, reapplying the following year would be okay given your academic record so far.

I had two friends that did this route.

1. She was the youngest in the class but gradated at the top of our class and got started with her career sooner. I don't think she regretted jumping to dental school early. She jokingly will say she was a "college dropout".

2. My other friend did the same thing but looking back, he regrets that he wasn't there to enjoy his senior year in college as much. (I.e football, senior parties, fraternity events, dating, etc.) He's happy with his career but he also wishes he didn't rush through his college experience.

Reactions: 1 users
The current plan is to apply to my top choices this year, get a BS after my third year (I managed to cram the requirements in), and if I don't get in then I'll use my fourth year of scholarships to do classes/research/get another minor before applying again. Thank you for your advice! I'm feeling good about my chances!
You have great chances! Congrats on an amazing DAT score.

The top guy in my dental school class got a 29AA on his DAT. Excellence continues!

If you're ready to move on from college and get started with dental school, I would say to go ahead and apply. With your stats, you will definitely be a competitive applicant so even if you didn't get in by some random chance, reapplying the following year would be okay given your academic record so far.

I had two friends that did this route.

1. She was the youngest in the class but gradated at the top of our class and got started with her career sooner. I don't think she regretted jumping to dental school early. She jokingly will say she was a "college dropout".

2. My other friend did the same thing but looking back, he regrets that he wasn't there to enjoy his senior year in college as much. (I.e football, senior parties, fraternity events, dating, etc.) He's happy with his career but he also wishes he didn't rush through his college experience.
Thank you for this feedback! I definitely think I'm ready to move on from college, but I'll definitely factor that into my decision.