Applying MD early decision and DO regular decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brncs89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can apply to an MD school ED but also apply to DO schools at the same time?

I tried searching other threads but could not seem to find a conclusive answer.

Members don't see this ad.

yes you can

No you can't. If you don't know the right answer it's best not to say anything. Don't spread misinformation.

Early Decision Program (EDP)
To apply through the Early Decision Program (EDP), applicants must follow these guidelines:

Apply to only one U.S. medical school by the stated deadline date (August 1 for schools that participate in AMCAS);
]
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/programs/138218/msar_collection_medschool_programs.html

DO schools are US medical schools. You may not get caught, but it is certainly not allowed. If caught you won't get in anywhere guaranteed.

****EDIT**** I WAS WRONG SEE MY POSTS BELOW

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not. Like organdonor said you can do that if you don't want to get into medical school at all.

No you can't. If you don't know the right answer it's best not to say anything. Don't spread misinformation.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/programs/138218/msar_collection_medschool_programs.html

DO schools are US medical schools. You may not get caught, but it is certainly not allowed. If caught you won't get in anywhere guaranteed.

Definitely not. Like organdonor said you can do that if you don't want to get into medical school at all.

wrong. You can apply regular decision to a DO while early decision to an MD. The AAMC rules DO NOT apply to DO schools, and they have no control over or legal ability to regulate you outside of the schools that are LCME accredited. AACOMAS is a separate organization with different rules and practices, and both operate entirely independently of the other.

It's much in the same way that you can only hold one MD acceptance past May 15, while you can continue to hold on to multiple DO acceptances past this date. If you read the AMCAS site, it will similarly say that an applicant can only hold on to one US medical school acceptance past that May 15, and they state that all US acceptances may be rescinded if you hold on to multiple ones past this date. This statement also has no applicability to DO schools.

Last edited:
wrong. You can apply regular decision to a DO while early decision to an MD. The AAMC rules DO NOT apply to DO schools, and they have no control over or legal ability to regulate you outside of the schools that are LCME accredited. AACOMAS is a separate organization with different rules and practices, and both operate entirely independently of the other.

It's much in the same way that you can only hold one MD acceptance past May 15, while you can continue to hold on to multiple DO acceptances past this date. If you read the AMCAS site, it will similarly say that an applicant can only hold on to one US medical school acceptance past that May 15, and they state that all US acceptances may be rescinded if you hold on to multiple ones past this date. This statement also has no applicability to DO schools.

It may have no applicability to DO schools, but that doesn't mean it has no impact on MD schools. I'm assuming the OP wants to still apply to both if rejected from the ED, and if an MD school ever found out they applied to a DO school, that could screw their chances for an MD school.

It may have no applicability to DO schools, but that doesn't mean it has no impact on MD schools. I'm assuming the OP wants to still apply to both if rejected from the ED, and if an MD school ever found out they applied to a DO school, that could screw their chances for an MD school.

I'm not sure we are on the same page. I was referring to the fact that the OP can apply early to an MD school, while simultaneously applying regular decision to DO schools, without violating any AAMC rules or regulations.

Last edited:
I'm not sure we are on the same page. People apply to MD and DO schools in the same application cycle all the time. In addition to the fact that they operate separately and have no knowledge of the status of the other, the overlap of MD/DO is no secret to ADCOMs, nor is frowned down upon in any way (unless you start talking about the wonders of cranial at an MD interview, or how you think OMM is ******ed at a DO interview)

Sorry I should have been more clear. There's nothing wrong applying to both during the regular season. I meant if they found out that they had applied to a DO school when they applied to the ED even when AMCAS specifically indicates not to apply to any other US medical school, they would have no chance of getting into any MD school afterwards.

Not saying they would find out, but it's not something worth taking a chance on, (and dishonesty is never a good thing).

i do know the right answer. it's you who dont know what you are talking about. you can apply early decision MD and regular decision D.O. aamc rules that you apply to only one U.S medical school participating in amcas. Osteopathic schools dont participate in amcas. this means one can even apply early decision MD and regular decision MD for even Canadian schools. though both participate in amcas, Canada is obviously not in the US. by the way, i have 2 friends who have actually done it.

Sorry I should have been more clear. There's nothing wrong applying to both during the regular season. I meant if they found out that they had applied to a DO school when they applied to the ED even when AMCAS specifically indicates not to apply to any other US medical school, they would have no chance of getting into any MD school afterwards.

Not saying they would find out, but it's not something worth taking a chance on, (and dishonesty is never a good thing).

aah, okay, i see what you are saying. The AMCAS and AACOMAS operates independently, without communication to the other, so there is no chance of any school finding out, short of the OP telling them.

Plus, the OP is not violating any rule even if they did find out: in the context of US medical schools, AAMC is referring to LCME accredited MD programs when they say you can only apply to one "US medical school" EDP. Similarly, they are also referring to LCME programs only when they say you can hold on to just one US medical school acceptance past May 15th, and not to DO schools.

While MD and DO are equivalent degrees, in the context of application rules/regulations, they are treated as entirely separate professions.

i do know the right answer. it's you who dont know what you are talking about. you can apply early decision MD and regular decision D.O. aamc rules that you apply to only one U.S medical school participating in amcas. Osteopathic schools dont participate in amcas. this means one can even apply early decision MD and regular decision MD for even Canadian schools. though both participate in amcas, Canada is obviously not in the US. by the way, i have 2 friends who have actually done it.

Ah ok well then I apologize patel2. I did not see the participating in AMCAS part. I guess you can then!

This question was debated here in 2008 with no clear consensus. The only thing I could find was a statement in the AMCAS instruction book stipulating that one of the conditions of applying to MD EDP was that you had not already submitted initial or secondary apps "...(AMCAS or NON-AMCAS) to a US allopathic medical school..."

That's the only place (listed on that first condition) where allopathic school is specified. The rest again just seem to mention "AMCAS or non-AMCAS".

So I guess it's debatable. My personal opinion is that it's shouldn't be a problem applying MD EDP and DO regular admission. Main thing is applying to only one EDP because of the binding nature of it.

That said, you should really contact AMCAS and AACOMAS directly and find out for yourself.

You can also google "AMCAS instruction book" and go to page 61 that deals with EDP and read how they word the conditions.

Members don't see this ad :)
my question is why would you do this? when do you expect to get the EDP decision? I'm assuming that's your first choice, so why not save the cash and and wait for the decision before submitting the DO app? unless your particular school of interest notifies their EDP applicants as late as they are allowed to, you'd be able to submit your DO app only if you need to and still have it in plenty early.

Perhaps the rules are ambiguous but I wouldnt go so far as assuming that MD and DO schools dont talk to each other. Especially in a city like Philly where we have PCOM and 3 allo schools. We share professors VERY routinely...as in at least one lecture of ours a week at PCOM comes from another school....either as a guest lecturer or dual faculty appointment. Everyone trained together...and practice together. Not to jump on you...but I just think it is a very real reality that things could go from DO to MD or vice versa.

Well everything I have seen in print and from the AAMC (referenced above) says one U.S. medical school. I think we can all agree that DO schools are US medical schools. Now if you want to get technical about it I suppose that wouldn't include caribbean schools but there wouldn't be any point to apply to a US MD program EDP and concurrently at a carribbean school.

I would be interested if someone has something reputable that says otherwise. If someone has something that says otherwise, please post it because the AAMC says
...one U.S. medical school

Well everything I have seen in print and from the AAMC (referenced above) says one U.S. medical school. I think we can all agree that DO schools are US medical schools. Now if you want to get technical about it I suppose that wouldn't include caribbean schools but there wouldn't be any point to apply to a US MD program EDP and concurrently at a carribbean school.

I would be interested if someone has something reputable that says otherwise. If someone has something that says otherwise, please post it because the AAMC says

See my post above re: the AMCAS instruction book mentioning "US allo med school" under on of their conditions for EDP.

OK well I was interested enough to download and read the applicable parts of the 2012 AMCAS instruction manual.
Early Decision Program (EDP)
The Early Decision Program (EDP) allows applicants to secure an acceptance from one EDPparticipating medical school by October 1, while allowing sufficient time to apply to other schools
if not accepted. EDP applicants agree:
Not to apply through the EDP if they have already submitted an initial or secondary
application (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) to a U.S. allopathic medical school for an M.D.
degree program for the current entering class.
To apply to only one medical school (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) through the Early Decision
Program.
Not to submit additional applications (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) until:
o Receipt of an EDP rejection, or
o Receipt of a formal release from the EDP commitment, or
o The October 1 notification deadline passes. Contact your EDP school if you have not
been notified of your status by October 1.
To attend the school if offered an EDP acceptance.
All EDP applicants accepted by a medical school must adhere to the tenets of the program. This
includes, but is not limited to, applicants accepted to the current entering class, delayed
matriculants from a previous entering class, and all other applicants who are required by the
medical school to submit an EDP application to the current entering class. Under these
circumstances, application to other schools is prohibited. Any violation of these conditions will
result in an investigation.
Medical schools agree to notify EDP applicants of admission decisions by October 1 and to defer
applicants to the regular applicant pool if appropriate.
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/131750/data/2012amcasinstructionmanual.pdf

Although a cursory search on the AAMC website says "one US medical school," the actual rules say otherwise. Although it wouldn't seem to technically violate the rules if you applied to DO schools or Canadian schools, I wouldn't recommend advertising the fact that you did it as it would seem to be against the spirit of the rule. EDP is supposed to show a strong commitment to that certain school, but it doesn't work that way with other apps.

Just as a follow-up...I e-mailed AMCAS and they told me they can only enforce that you apply to one MD school and to contact the other application service.

I then contacted AACOMAS and they told me I can apply to an early decision MD and osteopathic schools concurrently and the MD school would never know I was applying if I did not say anything.

Would the school get upset though if they somehow found out and could that have an effect on my chances?

Just as a follow-up...I e-mailed AMCAS and they told me they can only enforce that you apply to one MD school and to contact the other application service.

I then contacted AACOMAS and they told me I can apply to an early decision MD and osteopathic schools concurrently and the MD school would never know I was applying if I did not say anything.

Would the school get upset though if they somehow found out and could that have an effect on my chances?

they cant find out unless you tell them

What is the advantage of early decision. Why not just apply very early (like the day apps open up) with all secondaries pre-written that way you could apply broadly and enhance your chances

What is the advantage of early decision. Why not just apply very early (like the day apps open up) with all secondaries pre-written that way you could apply broadly and enhance your chances

You may find out earlier but the big thing is since you can only apply to one EDP school it's basically telling the school that you REALLY want to go there. Basically meant for if you want a specific school and are pretty competitive for there.

You may find out earlier but the big thing is since you can only apply to one EDP school it's basically telling the school that you REALLY want to go there. Basically meant for if you want a specific school and are pretty competitive for there.
Which makes me wonder why the OP wants to also apply to be an "osteopathic brother." If he can apply EDP (without just throwing everything to the wind) he probably doesn't have to apply to any DO schools.

Which makes me wonder why the OP wants to also apply to be an "osteopathic brother." If he can apply EDP (without just throwing everything to the wind) he probably doesn't have to apply to any DO schools.

Yea, I agree, unless he's limiting himself to specific schools or a certain geographical region where you would just apply to the schools, DO and MD, in that area.

Schools do not know where you have applied until after they accept you.

Actually, the OP's plan sounds kinda brilliant. At some schools, he may have a better shot if he applies early than if he applies regular. He just has to pick the right one!!!

Last edited:
Schools do not know where you have applied until after they accept you.

Actually, the OP's plan sounds kinda brilliant. At some schools, he may have a better shot if he applies early than if he applies regular. He just has to pick the right one!!!

Im really debating doing this now...I was planning on applying early (I mean like June 1 early) to DO and MD schools but I didnt quite get the advange of early decision...

I applied last year and was waitlisted at my top choice. I met with the dean and he told me that I should look into applying early decision. However, I also want a back-up plan in case that falls through and I don't get accepted to any other MD schools so I am also trying to apply to a few DO schools as well.

I applied last year and was waitlisted at my top choice. I met with the dean and he told me that I should look into applying early decision. However, I also want a back-up plan in case that falls through and I don't get accepted to any other MD schools so I am also trying to apply to a few DO schools as well.

Disregard dean's advice, acquire medical school acceptance elsewhere. The truth is that deans always, always tell applicants that they should apply EDP if they are waitlisted and don't get in, but it is never a good idea. Sometimes it works out, many times it doesn't. Do a search on SDN and you'll see lots of dissapointed folks who heeded the deans advice that they "have a great chance EDP next time" who then found themselves on the waitlist or deferred.

The truth is that anyone who gets in EDP would also have gotten in regular decision. It's meant for above average applicants who know the school is a #1 choice and not for borderline people, and really it's a schools way to cherrypick and secure guarantees from high stat people they want early on. It's not like college and is a raw deal. Presumably you improved your application if you think you are competitive for an EDP, so you should just apply early and broadly everywhere.

Im really debating doing this now...I was planning on applying early (I mean like June 1 early) to DO and MD schools but I didnt quite get the advange of early decision...

There is none. It's an advantage for above-average stats people who are 100% sure X school is a top choice, and who feel the benefits of an early acceptance to a top choice and the cost savings outweigh the risks of not getting in.

If you are applying to DO schools in the first place, odds are you are not one of these "high stat" people and would therefore not benefit from an EDP

what about the opposite scenario: apply broadly to MD but do EDP for a DO school due to geographic closeness??

Reactions: 1 user
It would make life easier for you guys. I suppose item #1 to discuss is to how to handle GPA calculations.

But no, I don't think I'll see this in my lifetime.

Just a quick question here! Do you ever see AMCAS and AACOMAS ever coming together as a single application service?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 user