Applying out of state advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileyfaceschoolkid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm currently a Texas resident and this is my first year applying. The three texas schools have really high stats that I know I do not have, so I was wondering which dental schools outside of Texas does anyone recommend applying that has lower stats as in ~3.4-3.3 GPA? If you guys know any, please let me know! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Look through the ADEA book and look at the class make up. Some schools have more OOS students than others. Private schools tend to not discriminate between OOS and IS applicants, but they also tend to be the more expensive schools. Don't feel too pressured to only apply to private schools, but make sure you add some.

VCU is relatively OOS friendly. 30% of the class is OOS. About 1.75% of OOS applicants matriculate so be aware that many other OOS applicants are also vying for a spot at these OOS friendly schools.

For private schools off the top of my head LECOM, UNE, Boston, Midwestern, Western, and Roseman are OOS friendly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Go with private schools and large schools like NYU. Small state schools prefer their state residents isn't something new.