Quantcast

Applying...Stressed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KenAzTorch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too late if I take my DAT Sept 2? My application will be Esubmitted in July with everything there. I was going to take the DAT a bit earlier but when signing up at my nearest Prometric center I realized all the good dates are full and I live in a state with three centers only. I will have to drive 180ish miles to the test center for the Sept 2 date. Also my gpa is 3.9+, ogpa and sgpa. I know there are similar threads out there and I have read them all for the most part, but I am just looking for some advice specific to me. I am applying to about 23 schools (don't mind the cost) to counterbalance a potentially late application (even though I may have higher than average stats). Also note that my state doesn't have any dental schools. I don't want to wait until next year because I have basically graduated already and in that case would lose another year. Basically, life keeps hitting me hard causing me to have delayed the application this long. I was so ready in May to study and do well on the DAT, but the darn outside forces that you can't control got to me. Despite this, I am a generally happy person and can only laugh at myself for this. I like to live on the edge and potentially I subconsciously sabotaged myself to force an uphill battle at an acceptance. I see that so many of you have already applied with everything there and that is quite intimidating. What are your thoughts? I am a nervous wreck lol

Switchhitter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Get 21+ in all sections, maybe even higher for RC and you will get in this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user

Advance

DDS
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A September date is a little late but as long as you score well on the DAT You should be fine. Just remember some schools interview as late as March so you will still have a good shot.

KenAzTorch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Part of what makes me nervous is doing well on the DAT, this is because I will blow $4000+ dollars on my application alone without even taking my DAT. If I do bad on my DAT (God forbid) I can say goodbye to all that money.

Also, according to you guys, in retrospect is getting a 21 AA feasible studying for a little more than 7 weeks?
The line between 20-21-22 must be very thin and a little luck may play into getting a good score.

Switchhitter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
7 weeks is plenty of time, especially considering you have such a high GPA. i also think it wouldn't hurt to email the schools you are applying to and explaining your plans. Kiss some ass in a professional manner. Tell them when you are taking the DAT and tell them when you get your scores. Some schools won't care, but other like this. Either way I don't think it would hurt. Lastly, you know yourself best. If you think applying next cycle would be better then do that. It's just an extra year and won't mean anything when you are practicing dentistry or completing a residency.

redhotchiligochu

D3
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too late if I take my DAT Sept 2? My application will be Esubmitted in July with everything there. I was going to take the DAT a bit earlier but when signing up at my nearest Prometric center I realized all the good dates are full and I live in a state with three centers only. I will have to drive 180ish miles to the test center for the Sept 2 date. Also my gpa is 3.9+, ogpa and sgpa. I know there are similar threads out there and I have read them all for the most part, but I am just looking for some advice specific to me. I am applying to about 23 schools (don't mind the cost) to counterbalance a potentially late application (even though I may have higher than average stats). Also note that my state doesn't have any dental schools. I don't want to wait until next year because I have basically graduated already and in that case would lose another year. Basically, life keeps hitting me hard causing me to have delayed the application this long. I was so ready in May to study and do well on the DAT, but the darn outside forces that you can't control got to me. Despite this, I am a generally happy person and can only laugh at myself for this. I like to live on the edge and potentially I subconsciously sabotaged myself to force an uphill battle at an acceptance. I see that so many of you have already applied with everything there and that is quite intimidating. What are your thoughts? I am a nervous wreck lol
Destroy the DAT, first of all. BTW do some research on schools that have high GPA and don't do rolling admissions like Harvard and UCLA to "counterbalance a potentially late application." Low tier private dental schools (can't mention it out of self-incrimination) likely won't care about your "late" app but I would be wary of them sending you interview invites like in March 2017. Do what you can, ace the DAT and if you don't get in, reapply.