Applying this cycle. Chance?

Started by makeamove
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

makeamove

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a 3.25 sGPA and a lot of work history (medicine will be a second career) and non-clinical volunteering. Not much clinical experience. I have not yet taken the MCAT. If I can score the average, do I have a shot this cycle?
 
Set your sights on next cycle. For this cycle, get clinical experience and focus on taking the MCAT. With a 3.25, you'll want to be scoring in the 90th percentile or higher to have a shot. If you can repair your GPA to 3.5 using the AACOMAS grade repair policy, you'll be in good shape for DO admissions with a 60-70th percentile score. MD admissions is going to be tough with a 3.25, but it's possible.
 
Given your GPA to have a good chance you should score about the 90-95th percentile on the MCAT to have a good chance. Of course if you don't you still have a chance. It just may not be great.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thats a pretty low gpa, so you will need a high mcat for a shot, not an average one. Average Mcat is not a good score to begin with.
 
Unless we are talking extraordinarily high MCAT(36+ equivalent) OP is probably going to need some kind of post-bac or SMP to be competitive for MD programs. Maybe if there is a strong upward trend along with a top notch MCAT score the OP can generate a II or two but I wouldn't count on it. Especially not this cycle when you are nowhere near ready to apply.