Applying this cycle. International student- my chances???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted341012

Hey guys,

I'm an international student applying this cycle (so...right now)..
I'm just kind of freaking out because the whole time I've been preparing for dental school I've heard how it is IMPOSSIBLE to get into dental schools if youre an international.
So I just want to get some honest opinions on my chances. I'm going to apply to as many schools as i can/ my budget allows (most of them being private)

My stats:
GPA- 3.8 (sGPA-3.7)- the thing is, i kinda messed up freshman year but then i got straight 4.0s for a while (upward trend) then this last semester it went down again (not too much but definitely not a 4.0). Is this going to hurt me?
DAT- 24 AA 25 PAT 25 TS
I don't have anything special for my EC (just research, some volunteering, job shadowing, some club activities, tutoring) which worries me since I've heard int'l students have to stand out...

Sorry about ranting on and bothering you guys with my lifestory but I'd really appreciate it if I can get some feedback so at least I'll be able to prepare myself for the results.

Anyways, thanks and wish those who are applying the very best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm just kind of freaking out because the whole time I've been preparing for dental school I've heard how it is IMPOSSIBLE to get into dental schools if youre an international.
So I just want to get some honest opinions on my chances. I'm going to apply to as many schools as i can/ my budget allows (most of them being private)

My stats:
GPA- 3.8 (sGPA-3.7)- the thing is, i kinda messed up freshman year but then i got straight 4.0s for a while (upward trend) then this last semester it went down again (not too much but definitely not a 4.0). Is this going to hurt me?
DAT- 24 AA 25 PAT 25 TS
I don't have anything special for my EC (just research, some volunteering, job shadowing, some club activities, tutoring) which worries me since I've heard int'l students have to stand out...

Sorry about ranting on and bothering you guys with my lifestory but I'd really appreciate it if I can get some feedback so at least I'll be able to prepare myself for the results.

You already asked in another thread..........

Relax, plenty of internationals get in every year. Are you Canadian?

did i...i'm sorry haha.
And no, I'm Korean. I feel like Canadian citizens have a better chance of getting in than other internationals?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your ECs aren't not special at all. You've done research, shadowed, tutored, and participated in club activities. You have a lot of things to put down on your AADSAS application.
Also, your grades are nice, so I am sure you will stand out in some schools you are applying to.
In my opinion, international students compete with other internationals, rather than with citizens. So I think it's important to stand out in the international students' pool.

Terribly misinformed and an attitude to match.

yay korean!!! i kinda have a same story tho (messed up my freshman year)

but 파이팅 ㅋㅋ i'm sure ur gona get in. BTW how did u study for your DAT?

any advice...? pliz ㅎㅎ 어디 어플라이 하심?

역시 코리안

Hi. I think you are fine. Apply to schools like NYU. I know an international guy who applied in November last year with a 3.2 and 23 AA with the same EC as you and he got in. :)

Hey guys,

My stats:
DAT- 24 AA 25 PAT 25 TS

You will be OK. Do your research on schools (make sure they accept international students) and apply broadly.

Good luck!