Chances of international students with international bachelors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kami22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.I am in a complicated situation and I will be thankful if anyone can assist me.I have completed my bachelors in cell biology outside of the US ,so I have completed all the prerequisites outside of the US.Currently,I am studying masters in medical biotechnology in University of Illinois at chicago with F1 status as an international student.I would like to apply for dental school next year.I emailed all the dental schools which accepts international students(mostly private ones)and most of them told me that I can apply with my foreign bachelors but I am looking for someone who has the same situation with me.I have heard from other students that all the international students who has been admitted in dental schools completed their bachelors in the US.Since i need to apply for 20-30 schools and pay thousands of dollars for application fee, I would like to find someone with my situation who has been admitted before.Do you have any idea that how can i find these people?Do you think that I have a chance?
My GPA of my both foreign bachelors and masters is 3.5

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are international and complete your bachelor's or higher degree, all prerequisites in US or Canada, definitely possible to get accepted.
If you are international and did your prerequisite outside US or Canada, you need to retake all prerequisites and get a bachelor's or master's degree in US or Canada and then apply.
Otherwise, you don't have a chance to attend dental school in US or Canada.

Reactions: 1 users
I also presume the OP has talked to the UIC dental school admissions administrators too. I've admitted applicants with international coursework (need an evaluated transcript that should be prepared for your AADSAS and if you get admitted), but they all completed prereqs in the US and taken the DAT before applying. What is your DAT score?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also presume the OP has talked to the UIC dental school admissions administrators too. I've admitted applicants with international coursework (need an evaluated transcript that should be prepared for your AADSAS and if you get admitted), but they all completed prereqs in the US and taken the DAT before applying. What is your DAT score?
Thanks a lot for answering.I want to apply next year and I have not taken DAT score yet.
Which score do you think i need to have chance of admission with my overall situation?
And also,my masters includes 36 credit coursework and research projects.The coursework consists upper level courses like cell biology,Molecular biology,immunology,nanotechnology,biotechnology and….My masters degree does not include basic prerequisites like chemistry1 and 2,organic chemistry 1and 2 and physics1 and 2 but I have completed them in my home country.
Can I retake these basic prerequisites in a community college?Since I am paying the tuition of UIC masters degree,It is hard for me to pay for tuition of prerequisites in UIC too!

3.Can i take some of the besic prerequisites after applying? I took 36 credit during my masters,If i take half of prerequisites(16 credits), can I apply with 52 credits US coursework?(36+16 credits=52 credits)and take rest if the prerequisites(other 16 credits )after applying and before matriculation?

If you are international and complete your bachelor's or higher degree, all prerequisites in US or Canada, definitely possible to get accepted.
If you are international and did your prerequisite outside US or Canada, you need to retake all prerequisites and get a bachelor's or master's degree in US or Canada and then apply.
Otherwise, you don't have a chance to attend dental school in US or Canada.
Thanks a lot for answering.I want to apply next year and I have not taken DAT score yet.
Which score do you think i need to have chance of admission with my overall situation?
And also,my masters includes 36 credit coursework and research projects.The coursework consists upper level courses like cell biology,Molecular biology,immunology,nanotechnology,biotechnology and….My masters degree does not include basic prerequisites like chemistry1 and 2,organic chemistry 1and 2 and physics1 and 2 but I have completed them in my home country.
Can I retake these basic prerequisites in a community college?Since I am paying the tuition of UIC masters degree,It is hard for me to pay for tuition of prerequisites in UIC too!

3.Can i take some of the besic prerequisites after applying? I took 36 credit during my masters,If i take half of prerequisites(16 credits), can I apply with 52 credits US coursework?(36+16 credits=52 credits)and take rest if the prerequisites(other 16 credits )after applying and before matriculation?