Applying this cycle; WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pb2022

Reaction score
Overall GPA: 3.49
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA 19, TS 19, PAT 18, Bio 20, GC 17, OC 20, QR 18, RC 20.
State of Residence: FL, USA

Undergrad Attended: University of Florida
Major: Nutritional Sciences
Minor: Business Admin (incomplete)
Minority? No, white female
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No, but applying the summer after graduation

Shadowing Experience: 100+ general, 80+ specialties
Volunteering Experience: 56 hours notetaking, 85 hours UFCD clinic, 30 hours free dental clinic
Employment: TBD (advice?)
Research: Yes, one lit review published in an accredited journal
Other Extracurriculars: service and fundraising in pre-dental club
Relevant Honors or Awards: delegate of the meeting (PDS)
LOR type and strength: One general dentist, one research professor, two science professors (TBD)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
two W on the transcript; Gen Chem 2- failing ---> A+ ---> TA for 2 semesters. Finance for business minor- last semester of senior year, failing; taken with physics 2.
School list:
no preference

Members don't see this ad.

Science GPA: 3.51
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.39
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 19, TS 19, PAT 18, Bio 20, GC 17, OC 20, QR 18, RC 20.

Reapplicant? No

Volunteering Experience: 56 hours notetaking, 85 hours UFCD clinic, 30 hours free dental clinic
LOR type and strength: One general dentist, one research professor, two science professors (TBD)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: two W on the transcript; Gen Chem 2- failing ---> A+ ---> TA for 2 semesters. Finance for business minor- last semester of senior year, failing; taken with physics 2.
School list: no preference
School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

Reactions: 1 user
School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!
have you participated in events at UF dental school/volunteered/shadowed?

Members don't see this ad :)
have you participated in events at UF dental school/volunteered/shadowed?
Volunteered through UF Shands at the D3 Dental Clinic my freshman and sophomore year (spring 2019, fall 2020, spring 2020-covid). I was also a part of a mentor/mentee program with my pre-dental club and UFCD- my mentor and I haven't been in touch since freshman year, however.

What did you do in the UF dental clinic? Have you visited any other dental schools (LECOM, NOVA)?
I was responsible for various tasks such as making chair setups, restocking PPE at each chair, organizing/stocking the supply closet and handing the students the necessary equipment to uphold sanitary protocols in the supply room. The semester before I came to UF, the clinic did away with any hands-on shadowing/assisting for Shands Volunteers. I have looked into both Nova and LECOM, I am not particularly excited about either and I believe I am below the accepted average for DAT and GPA.

School list:
UF
UMaryland
LECOM
Agusta
Creighton
Colorado
New England
Temple
Nova
Touro, NYMC
Louisville
UConn
Case Western
UK
VCU
A.T. Still University (Missouri)
Roseman (Utah)
Midwestern (AZ)
A.T. Still University (Arizona)
Columbia
Tufts
Boston University
Midwestern (IL)
West Virginia
MUSC
UWashington (Seattle)
NYU
Indiana
Nevada, Las Vegas

UF
UMaryland
LECOM
Agusta
Creighton
Colorado
New England
Temple
Nova
Touro, NYMC
Louisville
UConn
Case Western
UK
VCU
A.T. Still University (Missouri)
Roseman (Utah)
Midwestern (AZ)
A.T. Still University (Arizona)
Columbia
Tufts
Boston University
Midwestern (IL)
West Virginia
MUSC
UWashington (Seattle)
NYU
Indiana
Nevada, Las Vegas
Are you seriously planning to apply to that many schools?

That will be very costly and almost seems like you didn't really narrow them down in any way

Reactions: 1 users

That will be very costly and almost seems like you didn't really narrow them down in any way
No, these are schools that are somewhat within reach for me based on several factors including DAT, GPA, shadowing hrs, OOS acceptance, etc. Here is a spreadsheet that includes the dental schools that fit my criteria sorted from lowest to highest DAT scores:

**I have financial support from my family (mom, dad, grandparents on both sides) so I am fortunate enough to apply very broadly.

Attachments

• Dental School Research - Sheet1.pdf
    63.4 KB · Views: 147
The DAT is going to be a bit challenging unless you can get 20's across the board. Obviously your home team is UF, so get as much advice as you can from their ASDA chapter about your application.

No, these are schools that are somewhat within reach for me based on several factors including DAT, GPA, shadowing hrs, OOS acceptance, etc. Here is a spreadsheet that includes the dental schools that fit my criteria sorted from lowest to highest DAT scores:

**I have financial support from my family (mom, dad, grandparents on both sides) so I am fortunate enough to apply very broadly.
It still doesn’t make sense to apply to that many schools. It will be a lot of writing and interviewing that will take a lot of time.

To be honest your stats could use improvement. I would retake the DAT. If you get in next cycle it will likely be at a very expensive private school

Reactions: 1 users
It still doesn’t make sense to apply to that many schools. It will be a lot of writing and interviewing that will take a lot of time.

To be honest your stats could use improvement. I would retake the DAT. If you get in next cycle it will likely be at a very expensive private school
I would apply to 18-20 schools to increase my chances- probably 13-15 schools where I am within the average, 3 schools where I am above average, and 2 where I am below. I have considered retaking the DAT- my goal would be to get 20s across all sections.

The DAT is going to be a bit challenging unless you can get 20's across the board. Obviously your home team is UF, so get as much advice as you can from their ASDA chapter about your application.
I think you're right about the DAT- my goal while studying the first time was to get at least a 20 but I fell short. I am going to use a different resource this time to try to improve my score. I was told by one UF advisor that I should consider doing a master's/post-bacc to raise my GPA. I don't know how I feel about this option for now- I think if I retake the DAT and don't get into a school this cycle (2022-2023) I would try a post-bacc and apply again next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Science GPA: 3.51
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.39
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 19, TS 19, PAT 18, Bio 20, GC 17, OC 20, QR 18, RC 20.

Reapplicant? No

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: two W on the transcript; Gen Chem 2- failing ---> A+ ---> TA for 2 semesters. Finance for business minor- last semester of senior year, failing; taken with physics 2.
School list: no preference
I'd aim for 15+ schools with lecom, nova, and UF in the mix.

I think you're right about the DAT- my goal while studying the first time was to get at least a 20 but I fell short. I am going to use a different resource this time to try to improve my score. I was told by one UF advisor that I should consider doing a master's/post-bacc to raise my GPA. I don't know how I feel about this option for now- I think if I retake the DAT and don't get into a school this cycle (2022-2023) I would try a post-bacc and apply again next cycle.
How many undergraduate biomedical science classes are left for you to take? I don't think an SMP will help you unless you have no other undergraduate classes left.

Hi Periodont, I'm back with an update. You were right, there's no way I can apply to that many schools. I am looking at 10-12 schools now that I've narrowed down to avg DAT and GPA within my range (DAT +/- 2, GPA +/- 0.12). Here's my updated list:
Tufts
UK
MUSC
Marquette
Colorado
Maryland
Boston University
UConn
UF
VCU
NYU

How many undergraduate biomedical science classes are left for you to take? I don't think an SMP will help you unless you have no other undergraduate classes left.
Update after graduation-
BCP GPA: 3.35
UF Cumulative GPA: 3.45
All Institutions Cumulative GPA: 3.50

Hi Periodont, I'm back with an update. You were right, there's no way I can apply to that many schools. I am looking at 10-12 schools now that I've narrowed down to avg DAT and GPA within my range (DAT +/- 2, GPA +/- 0.12). Here's my updated list:
Tufts
UK
MUSC
Marquette
Colorado
Maryland
Boston University
UConn
UF
VCU
NYU
you need more schools...

Update on DAT: Retook Aug 3rd and scored a 21AA 22TS 22PAT. I applied on July 15th to UF, LECOM, Tufts, Maryland, Temple, MUSC, VCU, Colorado, UAB, and Marquette. Would it be worth adding any more schools to my list? I have one interview with LECOM on Nov 17th.

3-4 more at least
Update on DAT: Retook Aug 3rd and scored a 21AA 22TS 22PAT. I applied on July 15th to UF, LECOM, Tufts, Maryland, Temple, MUSC, VCU, Colorado, UAB, and Marquette. Would it be worth adding any more schools to my list? I have one interview with LECOM on Nov 17th.

You raised your score! Congratulations.
It's not advice, but I'll ask you some questions.
Did you update your score on August 3rd? I heard that LECOM only receives official scores, but did you get a call after the update?

You raised your score! Congratulations.
It's not advice, but I'll ask you some questions.
Did you update your score on August 3rd? I heard that LECOM only receives official scores, but did you get a call after the update?
Thanks! Yes, updated on AADSAS but waiting for the official score report to be verified. I sent LECOM an email with my unofficial score report but didn't get a reply. The interview invitation was via email, no phone call.

Thanks! Yes, updated on AADSAS but waiting for the official score report to be verified. I sent LECOM an email with my unofficial score report but didn't get a reply. The interview invitation was via email, no phone call.
Thank you for your answer!
I raised my second official score on August 4th, and the status is "None".
I heard that I need to get a supplement first to get an interview, but I didn't get a supplement either.
Fighting!

congrats on your DAT improvement
10 schools is ok, but that's a ton of publics you have there
are they OOS friendly?