Applying this cycle!! what are my chances? Need help with school list too!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Summerschoolsucks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I took a semester break before college so i will be graduating 2019 Fall. Still need to take microbio, anatomy, and physiology. I haven’t took the DAT yet (planning to take mid May. My goal is to get 21++).

What are my chances to get into Dental schools? Also, what would be a good schools to apply?( cheaper tuition is always better, I am a city guy so city would be nice but I don’t mind if it’a not city)

Residency: CO

Overall GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.58

DAT: hopefully 21++

Minority: yes

I shadowed 200++ hours at ortho, perio, and three other general dentists.

No research experience and 100++ volunteer hours not medical related. My excuse would be I had to work 25+ hours per week to pay for my own tuition.

Also working on the committee letters.

I am definitely applying to Colorado school and probably Temple, UNE, touro, BU, NYU, UNLV.

Still not sure where-else. Help me!

Thanks guysss

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, I took a semester break before college so i will be graduating 2019 Fall. Still need to take microbio, anatomy, and physiology. I haven’t took the DAT yet (planning to take mid May. My goal is to get 21++).

What are my chances to get into Dental schools? Also, what would be a good schools to apply?( cheaper tuition is always better, I am a city guy so city would be nice but I don’t mind if it’a not city)

No research experience and 100++ volunteer hours not medical related. My excuse would be I had to work 25+ hours per week to pay for my own tuition.

Also working on the committee letters

I am definitely applying to Colorado school and probably Temple, UNE, touro, BU, NYU, UNLV.

Thanks guysss

Minority: yes

Also working on the committee letters.

Thanks guysss

what kind of minority?
did you go to Colorado undergrad?
how many shadowing hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Asian
Around 230 hours of shadowing and yes im attending to colorado undergrad rn

ok
so Asian is not considered an under represented minority in d school

I hope you are volunteering at UColorado dental school and attending as many of their events as you can

DAT scores will help determine where and how many schools to apply to

Reactions: 2 users
What does 100++ hours of volunteering mean? Can you give us a better estimate? Even though your volunteering isn't medical related, that's fine, it doesn't have to be medical related, so that's not that big of a deal. However, if you go to CU undergrad, and you haven't been volunteering or shadowing in the dental school's clinic, that isn't going to look great.

Your GPA is pretty solid, accompany that with a DAT score that compliments it and a well rounded application (personal statement, letters of rec, etc.) you'll be solid and should get in somewhere as long as you interview well.
BU, UNLV and NYU are very expensive schools, if you're taking out full loans. I personally wouldn't apply to those schools unless I had someone paying for it or I already had the NHSC scholarship.

Reactions: 1 users
What does 100++ hours of volunteering mean? Can you give us a better estimate? Even though your volunteering isn't medical related, that's fine, it doesn't have to be medical related, so that's not that big of a deal. However, if you go to CU undergrad, and you haven't been volunteering or shadowing in the dental school's clinic, that isn't going to look great.

Your GPA is pretty solid, accompany that with a DAT score that compliments it and a well rounded application (personal statement, letters of rec, etc.) you'll be solid and should get in somewhere as long as you interview well.
BU, UNLV and NYU are very expensive schools, if you're taking out full loans. I personally wouldn't apply to those schools unless I had someone paying for it or I already had the NHSC scholarship.

Thanks for the help! Even though I have 200 hours of shadowing at private clinics, you are saying that I have to shadow at dental school’s clinic?

Well shadowing is separate from volunteering. My undergrad university didn't have a dental school, but a friend who went to a college that did have a dental school was able to do quite a bit of volunteering whenever he had free time through the dental school. So if you do have the ability to volunteer this semester at your school's dental school, definitely take advantage of that

Thanks for the help! Even though I have 200 hours of shadowing at private clinics, you are saying that I have to shadow at dental school’s clinic?

No, you dont have to shadow at a dental school clinic. But if you can volunteer at Colorado's clinic, you can double dip and use it as both volunteer and shadowing hours. Also, you can be consider a minority as an Asian if you came from an under-represented Asia Pacific country (ex. Pakistan). But from the look of things, your credentials are solid. You dont have to be a minority to have a good shot at Colorado considering you are instate.

Also, you can be consider a minority as an Asian if you came from an under-represented Asia Pacific country (ex. Pakistan)
I would argue against this- not Pakistani but I do come from an "under-represented Asian Pacific country" and I was not counted as a minority of any sort.

OP, I would come back when you have a DAT score because that'll help you in making your school lists. Your ECs seem to be fine but we need a score to help you better.

Reactions: 1 users

go to events and volunteer at their clinics, basically you need to make yourself familiar with the school/students/faculty/staff