Applying this summer and need some advice (MCAT, schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DarklingThrush

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone... The MCAT is really proving to be a struggle for me. I do well on the section banks, q packs, UWorld and got a 515 on the Sample test, but I took AAMC 1 today and got a 505. Made some stupid errors and was one question off in every section for a point higher or 509, but I’m not feeling too confident. I am at the point where I need to just take the exam. I’ve already moved my date twice due to not feeling ready and I’ve got a lot of pressure on me from various people in my life. I need to just take it. I’m hoping in the next 2.5 weeks, I can find my stride and hit a 510 or so on the real deal, but unless I’m sub 505, I’m applying this cycle and seeing what happens.

My stats are as follows:
  • cGPA: 3.4x ( I brought it up from a 3.2 cGPA during my post bacc)
  • sGPA: 3.6x
  • Post Bacc GPA: 3.7x
I am pretty disappointed in my Post Bacc performance. I made 5 B's (Both Gen Chems, Both OChems and Biochem) and I am very worried this will seriously hinder my chances at acceptance. I took 19 classes during my post bacc, two of which were advanced upper level art classes, and only made those 5 B's making my A to B ratio 14:5. I had taken 2 BCPM classes before post bacc.

My extracurriculars consisted of:
  • NCAA D1 scholarship athlete
  • President of my freshman dormitory
  • Tutor for 2 years in undergrad
  • Pre elite athlete
  • Fellow for a year long highly selective fellowship program for my sport post graduation
  • Coached a top 5 junior team for my sport (2 years)
During my post bacc, my activities have consisted of:
  • Weekly volunteering at a youth LGBTQ+ center (400+ hours at time of application)
  • Founder and Officer for LGBTQ+ STEM Organization at my school (First one in this region of our state)
  • TA for 1 semester
  • Scribing (thousands of hours over a span of 2 years at time of application) for a clinic that sees many low income, hispanic patients
  • Shadowing (70 hours shadowing a hospitalist)
  • Clinical Volunteering (100 hours)
  • Photography business: Funded much of my post bacc
  • Was one of 9 selected for a preceptorship though my post bacc university paired with our local hospital.
Demographics:
  • Hispanic (Non URM)
  • LGBT+
I kind of want to have a game plan moving forward so I don’t feel so stressed over the next 2.5 weeks. I’m a Texas resident and had planned on applying MD plus TCOM. With my current MCAT progress and my stats, I don’t really know where I stand or what to do. I also don’t even know where to start when it comes to applying to other DO schools since I originally was only planning on Texas schools. Any advice would be appreciated. Am I toast for MD? I have my entire TMDSAS essays done already, but now I feel kind of lost with my MCAT progress. @Goro or anyone? Advice is greatly appreciated on where to apply or what to do... I don’t even know. I’m also terrified I’ll have my app ready to go and then get an abysmally low official MCAT score back.