applying this summer...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anb111

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've decided to post on here after consulting a few friends. i haven't been able to get the feedback i had originally hoped for, so this is my last resort before i actually pick up my phone and begin calling some med schools.

here's my situation:
i've gotten B+s in chem 1, chem 2, physics 1, and physics 2, a B in gen bio 1, and Cs in both orgo 1 and orgo 2. as you can see, i haven't taken gen bio 2 because it is not required of my major (biotechnology). so my first question is, should i take gen bio 2? many schools list gen bio 2 as being one of their prereqs.

also, i am prepping for the mcat this summer (test date is july 13). that gives me a solid two months to go insane. however, i am considering retaking orgo 1 and orgo 2 (just the lecture). would any of you recommend doing so? i feel like earning Cs in those courses are going to hurt my chances of getting in. i don't know if i should just dedicate 110% of my energy to the mcat and take gen bio 2 this summer if i need to. i'm sure some of you are thinking "here we go again, more stupid questions," but i have talked to a few people on this matter and i am not getting any useful answers.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

#1 you need to do very well on the MCAT 31+
#2 you should have taken it earlier...late application not fun
#3 have a good personal statement
#4 you need to have things that make up for the C's they are not the end but you need something to make up for them...ie significant research or ECs
#5 you need to apply broadly to realistic schools
#6 do not retake Orgos...just do well on the bio section of the MCAT

i've decided to post on here after consulting a few friends. i haven't been able to get the feedback i had originally hoped for, so this is my last resort before i actually pick up my phone and begin calling some med schools.

here's my situation:
i've gotten B+s in chem 1, chem 2, physics 1, and physics 2, a B in gen bio 1, and Cs in both orgo 1 and orgo 2. as you can see, i haven't taken gen bio 2 because it is not required of my major (biotechnology). so my first question is, should i take gen bio 2? many schools list gen bio 2 as being one of their prereqs.

It would help to know your cumulative GPA and your BCPM. The fact that your grades in all of your science pre-reqs are mediocre is not so good. You definately need to take bio2 for med school and for the matter the MCAT. Many schools even require upper level bio courses and biochemistry so check out the MSAR before you apply and make sure you have all the pre-reqs.

also, i am prepping for the mcat this summer (test date is july 13). that gives me a solid two months to go insane. however, i am considering retaking orgo 1 and orgo 2 (just the lecture). would any of you recommend doing so? i feel like earning Cs in those courses are going to hurt my chances of getting in. i don't know if i should just dedicate 110% of my energy to the mcat and take gen bio 2 this summer if i need to. i'm sure some of you are thinking "here we go again, more stupid questions," but i have talked to a few people on this matter and i am not getting any useful answers.

thanks!
If you retake orgo 1 and 2 you MUST get As because if will look really bad if you don't since you have already seen all of the material. I would take bio 2 next fall and some upper level courses, like biochem and maybe advanced organic. If you get an A in advanced organic you will have shown them that you have matured. You could retake orgo, but as I said only if you can get an A for sure and I wouldn't do it this summer. Here's how I see it - you didn't do that awesome in the MCAT pre-req classes so you should try to focus on the MCAT this summer and make sure you get the best score you can. This will also show schools that you know the material. I wouldn't advice summer classes on top of MCAT prep unless 1) you are not working or doing anything else besides class and MCAT prep and 2) you have already put significant work into your MCAT prep.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't look like you have any As in your science courses, and I think that is going to raise a red flag in your application. It would also mean that your BCMP is pretty low.

i wish i could have retaken orgo 1/2 earlier. i've had every summer packed with some sort of military training. also, my father's been sick for most of my college career, so that hasn't made things easy. i've received As in a few science courses. my bcpm stands at a 3.2 (low i know, but it certainly does not reflect my intellectual prowess accurately). i also do not have a problem doing an smp or taking a year off to boost my scores and/or resume.

in any case, i see where you all are coming from. i'll focus on the mcat, apply, and if i don't get in, i can wait a year and reapply. hopefully, i'lll keep my fingers crossed that i blow the mcat away. thanks for the help!