applying to 30+ schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterlily

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to apply to only about 20ish schools, but because of my unfamiliarity with the schools (even when I tried researching them) and my pessimisism with the whole admissions process, my list spans about 36 schools right now. I stared at my list for hours trying to decide what schools to cut down on, but I just can't decide. So I'm thinking maybe I'll just apply to all of them.

For those who already went through the process and applied to 30+ schools, how much did your primary AND secondaries cost all together? And how many secondaries did you get back from your primary schools?

I'm trying to see if I can afford to apply to all of my 30+ schools...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

waterlily said:
I was hoping to apply to only about 20ish schools, but because of my unfamiliarity with the schools (even when I tried researching them) and my pessimisism with the whole admissions process, my list spans about 36 schools right now. I stared at my list for hours trying to decide what schools to cut down on, but I just can't decide. So I'm thinking maybe I'll just apply to all of them.

For those who already went through the process and applied to 30+ schools, how much did your primary AND secondaries cost all together? And how many secondaries did you get back from your primary schools?

i applied to 60+ schools...it cost a lot of bank

are you a CA resident? what are your stats? each school will cost you about $30 for the primary and $80 for the secondary. what criteria are you using to narrow your list? only apply to schools that you would really want to attend, and that you can afford to attend. some schools have really crazy OOS tuition - i think colorado's something like 50K and you can't get residency after a year. also, only apply to a few reach schools, and make sure they're your dream schools. and i'd check to see if the schools screen before sending secondary applications (there's a list on here somewhere), because the secondary's what's expensive, both in time and money.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLAMAN said:

:eek: :eek: :wow: :wow: :wow: WTF?! WTF? WTF?! how did it turn out? what were your stats, if you don't mind my asking? what schools did you apply to?

it. said:
:eek: :eek: :wow: :wow: :wow: WTF?! WTF? WTF?! how did it turn out? what were your stats, if you don't mind my asking? what schools did you apply to?

haha...it was over two cycles...the first time was a flop. i bought into the "oh you never know what could happen. its a crapshoot" bull-ish.

medical school admissions is NOT a crapshoot(95% of the time). get your ish together and do it right the first time. if you are borderline don't go in with the "well i could get lucky mentality."

the second time i rocked out with 13 interviews, multiple waitlists, and several accepts.

...but ya...it was expensive both times. drop in the bucket if its what you really want to do though.

i think this is a bad idea. when it comes time for secondaries you will be spread very thin, and some of them are quite time consuming

I had a set budget for applications, and applied to only 10 schools over a range of admissions difficulties, submitted secondaries to 5, and was admitted to 4.

OP-

What are your numbers? I'd bet you can drop the list to 20 if you use good criteria. If you have the cheddar, however, be broad and reaching - the law of averages will be on your side...

Good luck with whatever you do.

dc

UCLAMAN said:
And let me guess, mommy and daddy paid for all that bank. Spoiled kids, atleast you are actually doing something worthwhile with your parents' money. Ending up at Northwestern is not too bad a way to waste at least $1500.

waterlily said:

Assuming all the schools send back a secondary, and you fill out every secondary, you're looking at an easy 3 grand for AMCAS + secondaries + postage (return receipts etc. if so desired). The average cost of secondaries is about $45 (ranging from $25 to $100). A couple schools have no cost for secondaries (FSU used to not charge a couple yeras ago)

IgweEmeka said:
And let me guess, mommy and daddy paid for all that bank. Spoiled kids, atleast you are actually doing something worthwhile with your parents' money. Ending up at Northwestern is not too bad a way to waste at least $1500.

hey buddy...u dont know me...u dont know my family...all i was saying was that it was expensive...you're sorely mistaken if you think myself or anyone else in my family has a silver spoon in their mouth.

don't start callin' people you don't know "spoiled."

UCLAMAN said:

No kidding! I too applied to exactly 50 schools (combination osteopathic and allopathic). 48 sent me secondaries. I actually filled out and returned 40. Of those 40, I received 12 interview invites (exactly 6 allo, 6 osteo) which is a 30% rate of return, if you will. I actually went to six interviews and got acceptances to 4, wait-listed at 2. I quit going to interviews once I got accepted to my #2 school. Someday I will total up the whole cost, but I'm sure I spent $5K-$10K and thousands of man-hours on the whole application process (including MCATs, Prep-courses, interview travel expenses, etc.). You just have to ask yourself how badly do you want it? How much are you willing to sacrifice to get it? Every dime I spent was my own, and I'll tell you it was worth every penny.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
No kidding! I too applied to exactly 50 schools

wow, 50, 60 schools? :eek: Come to think of it though, I wouldn't be suprised if someone applied to every medical school in the country :rolleyes:

I'm prob. going to only apply to around 15 or so. For me, how strong I feel my application is in regards to other applicants is dependent upon how many schools I'm going to apply to really. I just would tend to think that if you had a bit of a weak track record you would want to apply to ~25+, medium 15-20, and strong ~10-15. Though, thats not to say those that apply to many schools don't have a strong application.

Personally, although I'll be applying to 15 or so, there is really only 1 school I want to go to (umich: good school, close to home) and if I don't get in I don't know what I'm going to do +pity+

I don't think I could find 60 schools that accept out of state applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
teh-t said:
i think this is a bad idea. when it comes time for secondaries you will be spread very thin, and some of them are quite time consuming

I had a set budget for applications, and applied to only 10 schools over a range of admissions difficulties, submitted secondaries to 5, and was admitted to 4.

you also have a phd, genius.

thats a great idea - i applies to 30+ and got in and its a lot less stressfull bc your eggs are not all in the same basket - you know eggs

i didnt apply to all those schools in one cycle!

it was about 30 and 30. and then of course as secondaries came in things got cut down to like 20. keep in mind...i'm also from cali where our state schools give us no love.

the first year i really had no business applying. i bought into the "give it the old college try" though.

waterlily said:

Cut out any school in the Northwest.. the whole area sucks

I'm only applying to 11 schools and my stats arent really that strong. My philosophy was that if 11 schools wont accept me then what are the chances that anyone else would. And I don't know if anyone else knows about the FAP but I applied for it and was accepted. It helps out a lot. I got the MCAT reduced to $85 and I can apply to 11 schools for free. Each additional school is only $30. I'm sure you've all probably seen it on the AMCAS website but just in case you missed it :)

Good Luck Everyone!!!

I think Bigdan's got it right. Cut out schools that are in areas you won't be comfortable living in (ding ding ding, Rochester), that don't accept many out-of-staters (U Dub), or that make no sense to apply to (UVM apparently, if you've ever lived in a town with more than 12 people). And if you have too many "dream" schools tossed in the mix, cut a few out.

I was also originally gonna apply to 30 schools and was able to narrow it down to 22 when the time came, which still kinda seemed like a lot.

With respect to the amount of work invovled in appying to 30+ schools, think about your situation when you'll be filling these things out. Are you gonna be in school, lotsa classes and ec's? Working full-time? Sitting on your butt the whole time? 30+ secondaries will be very time consuming and you really need to bust your ass to get them done. Although they aren't very hard to write and are actually pretty short essays, you'll have to write a million of 'em. Good luck. :thumbup:

UCLAMAN said:
the first year i really had no business applying. i bought into the "give it the old college try" though.

Can I ask what you did differently the second year? I would love to go to Northwestern, but I figured a school as good as that wouldn't accept many reapplicants. Still, I applied there again this year. :)

xSTALLiONx said:

First of all, I :love: the northwest. Of course, I like the ocean, rain and trees, so that might be why. Secondly, there's only two schools there: U of Washington and OHSU. Not exactly a major cut from the 36 schools the OP was considering.

DieselPetrolGrl said:
thats a great idea - i applies to 30+ and got in and its a lot less stressfull bc your eggs are not all in the same basket - you know eggs

I still think you are hot but you stopped iming me :)

I didnt really start coming onto SDN until after I started the application process. I applied to eight schools. I dont have a PhD and I come from a VERY small liberal arts school that nobodies ever heard of, but I have decent MCATs (lower 30s) and great recommendations. I did all the secondaries 'cause none of the schools screened beforehand. I got 4 interview invites, went to three and got accepted to all three. I wanted to stay in the area so most of the schools were in PA. I was lucky to say the least and knowing what I know I probably wouldve applied to more schools. However I picked schools that I would want to go to and that, compared to my stats, I had a good chance of getting in. My advice would be not to apply to more than 20 schools. Work harder on less secondaries and research schools for your interview. Its a very time and money consuming process, especially if your still in college.

xSTALLiONx said:

That's certainly an enlightened attitude. Thanks for the contribution.

It's about as helpful as whining about the northeast because it's cold, or the southeast because it's racist, or the midwest because it's boring, or southern California because it's superficial. Try being a little more open-minded.

Fortunately for you, there are't that many med schools in the northwest. Of course, if you want to go into primary care, UW and OHSU are two of the top three schools in the country.

xSTALLiONx said:

Are you serious? The Pacific Northwest is great...close to about anything you would ever want to do.