Applying to a school's master's program while waitlisted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Launcelot

Lord of the Flies
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could preemptively applying to a school's smp ruin my chances at getting in on the waitlist I'm currently on (at the same school, that is)?

Members don't see this ad.

No. It doesn't have any bearing and the school would actively encourage it since for some schools it's a money maker. Not that it's a bad thing, but admissions would know you're just preparing for the worst and wouldn't (and shouldn't) penalize you for it.

No. It doesn't have any bearing and the school would actively encourage it since for some schools it's a money maker. Not that it's a bad thing, but admissions would know you're just preparing for the worst and wouldn't (and shouldn't) penalize you for it.
That's what's worrying me, as if they'll reject me assuming that I would take the SMP (and they a cool 20-30k or so).

I understand your concern, but I have seen scenarios of people getting rejected by the SMP and accepted into the med class. If the school feels they benefit more from you as a medical student, they will give that priority. That said, contact schools and make sure the processing is separate at the school if that gives you more peace.

Reactions: 1 user