applying to backup specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littledubs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My medical school specifically told our class to apply for a backup/less competative specialty if we were appplying to derm/ent/ortho or other competative specialties. I go to a mid level state school that usually has decent matchlists but nothing spectacular. Using the good old search button on this forum is seems like everyone on this forum has the exact opposite opion and says to not apply to more than one specialty as it will ruin your application to both if anyone finds out. So what gives? Will applying to two specialties, particularly at the same hospital, really hurt you in the rare instance they find out?

Members don't see this ad.

probably not at the same institution but fine if at other ones, for the most part...and fine if you apply to similar stuff. Urology and Gen surg. ER and FP.

yeah i had a question about that. my husband is applying to ER and Peds as a back up and I told him not to apply to programs in the same hospital...is this good advice or does it not matter?